Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by kmguru, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

and your counter theory is what?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

It's not "my" counter-theory it's history and archaeology.
    The Maya were no more "advanced" (and certainly no more descended from an advanced culture) than any other civilisation in the world.
    All of this crap about "predictions" is just that - crap based on wishful thinking and a desire to denigrate the human race generally and modern life particularly, even if subconscious.
    They knew much less than we do about the stars and solar system and any claims otherwise are pseudoscience.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

and you're speculating right now.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

On the contrary, I'm using knowledge, based on extensive reading and checking.
    Something you appear to be unfamiliar with.

8. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

so you know the origins of the mayan civilization? what are they then?

9. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Do you bother reading at all?

No I don't know what their origins are.
    But I do know what they aren't.

Do you understand the difference?

10. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i'm reading right now.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

and you're not telling me a damn thing, except that you're speculating based on personal bias. personal bias i believe is the difference.

11. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Okay, but apparently failing to understand.

I'm not speculating, I'm going from extensive reading and knowing that the supposed "supporting evidence" for the case in question has been shown to be wrong, and also WHY it's wrong.
    There is no "personal bias" unless you mean I'm biased toward demonstrably valid evidence and against "evidence" which doesn't hold up except under its very shaky chain of "logic".

12. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

It seems like this is a wasted effort. Some people think OJ is innocent. Hey, it's a "theory". Patton though he was the reincarnation of Napoleon. Another theory. Plenty of people are happy to accept wild unsupported speculation (and call it "logical") then place it on a pedestal right next to actual reasoned conjectures.

Nevermind the evidence that should the progression of pre-Maya settlement in the region and the rise of the first distinctly Mayan settlements in about 1800 B.C. Nevermind that the Egyptian pyramids were many centuries old then, and so one has to wonder where this "advanced civilization" was hanging out for 700 years or more before settling in mesoamerica. Nope, the Maya may have been space aliens with ray guns. It's a theory.

13. phlogistician Banned Banned

I'm trying to help by telling you what you think is God is merely an understood medical phenomenon. OK, I'm sure it feels real to you, just like dreams do when we have them, but it's time to wake up, Lori.

14. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

You too? Frick! I LOVE sliding into the ocean! How else am I supposed to get my trace minerals?

I heard this movie is... oh, how should I put this? Silly???

15. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

when it is hearsay, it is not a theory, it is not even a hypothesis, it is idiocy.

16. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

someone told me about a documentary that they watched which described a theory. jesus people!

17. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

oh yes, you're a regular mother theresa.

18. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

you have stated and i do stand corrected that being said.. you have only shown words you havent shown proof just some one with 3 letters behind there name that it can be done.. if it can be done why hasnt anyone else attempted it? im not saying it CANT be done.. im saying its IMPOSSIBLE to do with that ammount of detail.. and still havent see how they made the perfect circular holes... and no one not even phds can explain why there is no other architecture like puma punku in the world

19. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

how can you say you dont know where their origins are but you do know hard fact what they arnt? doesnt make any sence..

and if you dont believe in the ufo sightings thast your opinion and i respect it but how can debunkers, who didnt see what ever it was hundreds of thousands of people have sceen "swamp gas, or, flares.. which tests have been done on the sighters using flares and they said it looked nothing alike..

my point how can a debunker say thousands of people who saw the same thing didnt see what they say they saw" or miss interperate what they said..

i may not have facts to back up alot of what i say, that being said im sure weather its 2012 or beyond something catastrophic is going to happen, and our reactions will depict how the species goes on, i think we rely on technology way to much so if all of our electronics were compromised,... complete chaos will ensu

20. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Really?
    Maybe you should try logic and thinking.
    The claimed country/ culture of origin of the Maya (in this case) did not in fact exist. How hard is it then to conclude that the Maya truly didn't start there?
    That's the simplest example.

Different topic altogether. If you want to read through of the threads in pseudoscience you'll get some background on that.

See above.
    But one case would be that when interviewed separately they didn't see the same thing: stories vary.

So you have no facts but you're willing to speculate... Okay.
    I'll accept that for exactly what it's worth: nothing.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  21. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

See above.

So you have no facts but you're willing to speculate... Okay.
    I'll accept that for exactly what it's worth: nothing.[/QUOTE]

i will speculate and continue to speculate as its my right and opinion.. think its worth nothing then its not.. prohets "speculate" or share what they think will happen, their opinion. on the future and sometimes some of then are right..

what happens when speculation comes to pass?

22. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

I don't think Lori wants to wake up. She seems to prefer insanity. But then, how many nutters actually want to return to reality?

23. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts”
    Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Prophets don't exist except in their own imagination and those of the gullible.

Coincidence.