20 Things about Relativity

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Orleander, Apr 20, 2008.

1. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

He wrote FIVE papers in 1905, one of which did win him the Nobel prize. His 1921 Nobel prize was 'for his services to theoretical physics and in particular for his discovery of the law of the 'photoelectric effect'. English translations of all five Annus Mirabilis papers are available http://lorentz.phl.jhu.edu/AnnusMirabilis/#annus_articles.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Well, the three papers I was referring to were the photoelectric effect, brownian motion and special relativity. But I didn't know he wrote five papers that year.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Reiku Banned Banned

He really should have recieved an award for the Photoelectric effect.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

He did. Specifically the Nobel Prize. The citation reads "for his services to Theoretical Physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect."

>>edit As DH has already stated. Sorry DH, I didn't see the quote in your post.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  8. Vkothii Banned Banned

Aren't Einstein's "three" papers, as referred to by Ben, the most quoted in the field of scientific reference?
    Particularly the photoelectric one? I think I read something a while back, about how popular the "big three" still are.

9. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Once you attain a certain level of fame, your papers stop being cited. I view this as somewhat of an honor.

For example, Higgs invented the higgs mechanism. Note that ``Higgs'' is someone's name, but very few people capitalize the `h' in ``higgs boson''. Likewise, Einstein probably doesn't get that many citations these days---mostly because he founded the area of physics that a large portion of physicsts work in.

10. Cannon Registered Senior Member

How fast must one go to be relevant to nothing?

11. Cannon Registered Senior Member

nothing=670,616,629.5>670,616,629.4=light

But, you can go faster than light if you know how to make light pull you and push you while you electromagneticly push and pull yourself forward. Matter can move in the excess speed exceeding light only in a pure vaccumme. That is the true problem.

The mention of this is a pure frictionless machine.

12. zephir Banned Banned

Technically speaking, the higgs mechanism is the analogy of less or more classical mechanism responsible for gaining mass of charge carriers in conductors. Every moment, when you turn on light bulb you can perceive the consequences of higgs mechanism: the electrons in could wire are behaving like much more massive particles, then those inside of hot wire. Therefore the conductivity of metals decreases with temperature (so called filament lamp varistors with positive coefficient of impedance with temperature were based on this phenomena)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Even if the Higgs field is experimentally discovered, however, that will still not explain the origin of inertial mass of ordinary matter. The Higgs field applies only to the electro-weak sector of the Standard Model. The mass of ordinary matter is overwhelmingly due to the protons and neutrons in the nuclei of atoms. Protons and neutrons are comprised of the two lightest quarks: the up and down quarks. The rest masses of their constituent quarks (approx. 0.005 and 0.010 GeV/c2 for the up and down quarks respectively) which could be attributed to the Higgs field comprise only about one percent of the masses of the protons and neutrons (0.938 and 0.940 GeV/c2 respectively). The remainder of the proton and neutron masses would have to be attributed to contributions from the gluon field strong interaction energies plus smaller electromagnetic and weak fields contributions which would not be affected by a Higgs field. The origin of inertial mass of ordinary matter is thus a widely open question.

13. Reiku Banned Banned

Hi zeph. I thought you left us

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. zephir Banned Banned

Nope, but here's nothing new to dispute for me without apparent violation of forum rules.
    Furthemore, most of you are understanding the AWT concepts already, so here's nothing left to explain for me without math.