20 Hypothetical Questions

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Lykan, May 2, 2002.

1. leopold Valued Senior Member

yes
    i don't see why not. penicillan and aspirin cause fatal reactions in a small percentage of people, even flu vaccines take their toll on the elderly.
    yes, it would be the right thing to do. plus i might even sue to insure that they put measures in place to prevent such a mixup.
    no.
    male.
    no.
    yes, in a heartbeat.
    yes, if it was the only solution.
    this is a tough one, undecided.
    no.
    go through with it.
    no.
    no. medical breakthroughs do happen.
    cook.
    no
    no
    yes
    no, i'm left handed plus i've been blessed with a relatively disease free life
    see answer to 13
    the first option gaurentees 90% of the people to live.
    the second option has no gaurentees.
    the answer is obvious (to me at least) the first option.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

20 Hypothetical Questions. I'm asking other people too and will share the final % results eventually...

1) Would you be willing to spend a night alone in a remote house that is supposedly haunted, just for the sake of it? (knowing nothing more about the history of the house than that) There is no electricity though there is running water and other utilities, and you can bring your own flashlight and/or lantern and such. The nearest neighbors live 5 miles away.

Q what's in it for me?

2) If a new medicine were developed that would cure arthritis but cause a fatal reaction in 1% of those who took it, would you want it to be released to the public?

NO

3) You discover that your wonderful one-year-old child is, because of a mix-up at the hospital, not yours. What would you do? Would you want to exchange the child to try to correct the "mistake"?

I would meet with the parents of my child and see if we could arrange some type of joint parenting intially with a long term view to eventually having my birth child returned, but would probably want to remain in the life of the other child in some respect

4) Would you accept $1,000,000 in U.S. dollars (or the equivelant in whatever currency) to leave your country and never set foot in it again?

What country do I get to live in, one of my choice? Could I take my family with me? If so, I'd accept $1000,000 as I'd quite happily emigrate in any case.

5) Which gender do you think has it easier in our culture?

men

no periods, no pmt, no oppression, no inequality issues, higher wages, don't have to give birth, females to look after them etc

6) (For this question, if you're currently in a mate relationship then answer as if you were single) You have the chance to meet someone with whom you can have the most satisfying love imaginable -- the stuff of dreams. However, you know that in six months the person will have sex with someone else, and then when you eventually find out they will leave you for them and want nothing more to do with you. Knowing the pain that would follow, would you still want to meet the person and fall in love and experience the 6 months of bliss? You would forget your foreknowledge of the events in store for you, too.

No

7) If you knew of a way to use your estate, following your death, to greatly benefit all of humanity, would you do it and leave only a minimal amount (10%) to your family?

yes
    my family forms part of humanity, thusa benefit to humanity is a benefit to them

8) Would you be willing to murder an innocent person if it would 'somehow' end all hunger in the world?

ermmmmmmmmmm how innocent ?

9) Would you rather be given $10,000 for your own use, or be able to give $1000 anonymously to 100 strangers? You can't pick who it's given to, though you know that all of the people could really use the money.

money for me please, I could use it to make more money, then give it away to charities of my choice and keep some for myself. We all benefit

10) Would you be willing to give up half of what you now own (randomly selected) for a pill that would permanently change you so that one hour of sleep each day would fully refresh you?

Never, I like sleep and couldn't fill a 23hr a day, I am awake 18+hrs a day as it is!

11) If the person you were engaged to marry had an accident and became a paraplegic, would you go through with the marriage or back out of it?

I'd do my best for them, assuming I was marrying them for 'love'

12) You are offered $1,000,000 USD (or the equivalent in whatever currency) for the following act: Before you are ten pistols -- only one of which is loaded. You must pick up one of the pistols, point it at your forehead, and pull the trigger. If you can do this and walk away you do so a millionaire. Would you accept the risk?

NO, all the worlds money is not worth more than my life

13) Someone very close to you is in pain, paralyzed, and you 'somehow' know for certain that they will die within a month. He begs you to give him a fast-acting, painless poison so that he can die. No one else would ever know. Would you?

yes

14) If you could have free, unlimited service for five years from an extremely good cook, chauffeur, or masseuse, which would you choose?

cook

15) Do you feel ill at ease going out to see a movie by yourself?

I haven't done it, but no, wouldn't be a problem

16) Do you feel ill at ease going out to dinner at a resturaunt by yourself?
    a little, would not be fun, so that more than ease factor is what would prevent me.

17) For $35,000 USD, would you go for three months without washing, brushing your teeth, or using deodorant? Assume you could not explain your reasons to anyone until after the three months is up.

no

18) Would you be willing to have your left middle finger surgically removed if it 'somehow' guaranteed you immunity from all diseases?

no, I wouldn't believe it, if that finger was so important as to achieve that result, I'd figure I was better off with it!

19) You 'somehow' know for certain that you will die of an incurable disease within three months. Would you allow yourself to be cryogenically frozen *within the week* if you knew it would give you a modest chance of being revived in 1,000 years and living a greatly extended life?

no

20) You are leading 100 people in a survivalist situation, when suddenly your lives are in danger and you must choose between two courses of action. One would cause 10 of the people to die and everyone else would live, the other would have a 70% chance of saving everyone but were it to fail then everyone would die. Which would you choose?

70% chance of saving everyone

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

• 1) No. That sounds like a stupid, miserable way to spend a perfectly good night. I'd rather watch TV.
    • 2) Yes. Speaking as an arthritis sufferer, I would gladly accept a greater risk than that. Most of you young folks have no idea what our lives are like.
    • 3) Maybe. I'd have to discuss it with the other parent. It's not my decision alone.
    • 4) No. A million dollars simply is not that much money. It's nowhere near enough to retire comfortably and it's far more difficult for foreigners to get good jobs in most countries than it is here.
    • 5) Still men in the U.S. but the gap is narrowing.
    • (6) Maybe. Worse things have happened to me. If I were younger I'd probably want myself to have the adventure. At my age I couldn't afford to waste the time.
    • (7) Yes, assuming it would not leave my family destitute, which in my current reality it would. I would certainly include them in the decision.
    • 8) Impossible to answer. If the world were so much different from the way it is that this scenario were possible, then I would have already thought about it. I am a pacifist precisely because in reality killing rarely accomplishes anything good in the long run.
    • 9) Maybe. A thousand bucks won't make a substantive difference in the life of the average American. These hypothetical figures are left over from fifty years ago when they meant something. At this exact moment in my life, ten thousand bucks would be extremely helpful. Some other time I might go for it. This is a business transaction and I would expect to at least be given credit as minor compensation for this humanitarian act.
    • 10) Probably. You're talking to a guy who would pay a fortune for anything that would allow any reasonable amount of sleep to "fully refresh" me. I've had trouble getting a good night's sleep for forty years.
    • 11) Maybe. I'd want her input. Many people are so unselfish that they would insist on turning me loose because the marriage would overwhelm them with guilt.
    • 12) No. Once again you're dealing with amounts of money that meant something fifty years ago. These days actuarial research shows that the average American values his life at $7,000,000. My actual earning power and the value of my companionship to my wife are worth far more than that.
    • 13) Yes. I certainly hope that any of you would do the same for me.
    • 14) Massage. You could not find a better cook than my wife in seven counties and she loves it. I rather enjoy driving and I really enjoy the privacy. I could actually use a masseuse if she did house calls but my wife would probably prefer it to be a masseur.
    • 15) Yes. But I do it occasionally.
    • 16) Yes. Not ill at ease so much as pointless.
    • 17) No. You really need to update your figures.
    • 18) No. I'm a musician.
    • 19) Yes. Why not?
    • 20) Maybe. This is not my decision. It's their lives, they get to vote.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

8. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    4. Yes
    5. Male
    6. No
    7. Yes
    8. Yes provided that ending hunger didn't lead to other life / quality of life issues from overpopulation.
    9. $10,000 for my own use
    10. Yes
    11. Go through with the marriage.
    12. No
    13. Yes
    14. Cook
    15. No
    16. No
    17. No
    18. No
    19. Yes
    20. 10 people would die and the rest would live.

9. Just_Not_There Do I Look Like I Care?! Registered Senior Member

20 Hypothetical Questions. I'm asking other people too and will share the final % results eventually...

1) Would you be willing to spend a night alone in a remote house that is supposedly haunted, just for the sake of it? (knowing nothing more about the history of the house than that) There is no electricity though there is running water and other utilities, and you can bring your own flashlight and/or lantern and such. The nearest neighbors live 5 miles away.

Yes. I would even pay for it (not much though)

(2) If a new medicine were developed that would cure arthritis but cause a fatal reaction in 1% of those who took it, would you want it to be released to the public?

Yes, let people make their own decision

3) You discover that your wonderful one-year-old child is, because of a mix-up at the hospital, not yours. What would you do? Would you want to exchange the child to try to correct the "mistake"?

Yes I would. I'd hate to think my child was being brought up by someone else

4) Would you accept $1,000,000 in U.S. dollars (or the equivelant in whatever currency) to leave your country and never set foot in it again?

Of course I would. I live in england you know

I think it's pretty equal. Each has their own problems

6) (For this question, if you're currently in a mate relationship then answer as if you were single) You have the chance to meet someone with whom you can have the most satisfying love imaginable -- the stuff of dreams. However, you know that in six months the person will have sex with someone else, and then when you eventually find out they will leave you for them and want nothing more to do with you. Knowing the pain that would follow, would you still want to meet the person and fall in love and experience the 6 months of bliss? You would forget your foreknowledge of the events in store for you, too.

Yeah, that's what life's about. Another knotch on the bedpost

7) If you knew of a way to use your estate, following your death, to greatly benefit all of humanity, would you do it and leave only a minimal amount (10%) to your family?

Depends how much my estate was worth. If it was enough to give my family a very comfortable way of life, then yes

8) Would you be willing to murder an innocent person if it would 'somehow' end all hunger in the world?

No. People starve because they cannot provide for themselves. It's survival of the fittest. Don't have 10 children you can't provide for and then look to others for help.

9) Would you rather be given $10,000 for your own use, or be able to give $1000 anonymously to 100 strangers? You can't pick who it's given to, though you know that all of the people could really use the money.

$10,000 for myself please...please!

10) Would you be willing to give up half of what you now own (randomly selected) for a pill that would permanently change you so that one hour of sleep each day would fully refresh you?

Yeah

11) If the person you were engaged to marry had an accident and became a paraplegic, would you go through with the marriage or back out of it?

Go through with it

12) You are offered $1,000,000 USD (or the equivalent in whatever currency) for the following act: Before you are ten pistols -- only one of which is loaded. You must pick up one of the pistols, point it at your forehead, and pull the trigger. If you can do this and walk away you do so a millionaire. Would you accept the risk?

Tricky. Initially I would say yes....but then the thought of actually picking the gun out...1/10 odds aren't that great when you're gambling with your life. If it was 1/15....

13) Someone very close to you is in pain, paralyzed, and you 'somehow' know for certain that they will die within a month. He begs you to give him a fast-acting, painless poison so that he can die. No one else would ever know. Would you?

Yes. Although I would have a lengthy discussion with him first

14) If you could have free, unlimited service for five years from an extremely good cook, chauffeur, or masseuse, which would you choose?

Chauffeur, considering I lost my license for 3 years in the summer

Not particularly

Yes I would

17) For $35,000 USD, would you go for three months without washing, brushing your teeth, or using deodorant? Assume you could not explain your reasons to anyone until after the three months is up.

Hell yes. I'd give up drinking as well if need be

18) Would you be willing to have your left middle finger surgically removed if it 'somehow' guaranteed you immunity from all diseases?

Yeah. I still got my right eh?

19) You 'somehow' know for certain that you will die of an incurable disease within three months. Would you allow yourself to be cryogenically frozen *within the week* if you knew it would give you a modest chance of being revived in 1,000 years and living a greatly extended life?

Yeah. I'd love to see what 3006 is like

20) You are leading 100 people in a survivalist situation, when suddenly your lives are in danger and you must choose between two courses of action. One would cause 10 of the people to die and everyone else would live, the other would have a 70% chance of saving everyone but were it to fail then everyone would die. Which would you choose?

I don't know.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  10. broadandbeaver 'Now I am become Death Registered Senior Member

Sure why not? Some of my best favorite people are ghost!

2) If a new medicine were developed that would cure arthritis but cause a fatal reaction in 1% of those who took it, would you want it to be released to the public? No, not until a test could be developed that would weed out that 1%. "Look ma, my joints feel good but I'm dead!"

3) You discover that your wonderful one-year-old child is, because of a mix-up at the hospital, not yours. What would you do? Would you want to exchange the child to try to correct the "mistake"? It's not my kid! Send the sucker back and give me my kid!

4) Would you accept $1,000,000 in U.S. dollars (or the equivelant in whatever currency) to leave your country and never set foot in it again? 10 million yes, 1 million won't last long.

females

No, I'd want nothing to do with it.

Yes - in a heartbeat.

Yes

Give it to the strangers

I'd have 23 hours a day to work for the things I gave up - Sure.

That's a tuffy! I'd more that likely back out. Just not equiped to handle that situation.

No

No

masseuse

Yes

Yes

No

No

No

70% chance of saving everyone

11. Rosnet Philomorpher Registered Senior Member

Well I really don't think there is a reasonable chance of there being ghosts. But the rumors might be due to some actual danger in the house, even some crazy person who wants to create a haunted house hoax. So, since the it is probably dangerous anyway, I wouldn't want to spend a night there.

But if it were like this, that either I could be sure, somehow, that the danger could not be from anything but the alleged ghosts haunting the house, or, alternately, if I could take fool-proof measures to protect myself from any natural danger (but not ones which could supposedly protect me from anything supernatural) then I would be willing to spend a night like that.

Yes. With adequate warning of course. The fact that there will be people who don't notice the warning doesn't affect my decision either.

Well, supposing for the purpose of answering this question that I will marry and have children...
    No of course not. I don't think biological ties are that important. In fact, I know from personal experience that they aren't (unless you are conditioned to think they are). Yes, there is this issue of instinctual feelings and all that, but oh, such trifles! They don't really matter. Again, this has a lot to do with how you're conditioned to think about relationships.

No I will not accept that amount to leave the USA. But I might consider accepting an amount that would be sufficient for me to buy a whole new place, like an island maybe, set up a new place, and have a new country up and running in a few years time. If I could be sure of achieving at least as much material conveniences as I have now, and additionally have the satisfaction of having created such a place as I want to (with new laws and all).

Can't say, really, probably the men (I am one).

I really don't know, I'm not interested in a relationship. And supposing that I do won't help either (no, this is different from the "wrong-child" case).

I don't care at all what happens after I die...

No

If it's I who have to give the money then, no, the first one (is I <I>have</I> to choose one). If it's like either I get the money or it goes to someone else (Doesn't matter whether they need it or not, doesn't even matter whether they're gonna throw it away), then the second option.

Randomly chosen? You mean it's part of my property (not my money) that is taken away? No, I don't want to part with my personal posessions. If it's just half the money I own, then of course I'd be willing to do that.

Marriage, again! Well assuming, again, that I'll get married, then it will definitely be someone very much like me, in which case she wouldn't want to live as a paraplegic, so I'd kill her. And I know she won't change her mind. And it won't be that she won't be like me in just this thing, since this isn't a matter of personal taste, like what kind of food I like or anything, it's part of my philosophy also. A person who thinks like me could never bear to live as a paraplegic.

And in any other circumstance, (let's consider there could be one, just for your satisfaction) I will take care of her. But if I somehow get interested in someone else (since we already assumed I'm interested in relationships), I'll definitely marry that person, but still take care of her.

No. Unless I could find nothing more exciting in life (which is not probable), and it being sure that if I end up shooting myself, I'll surely die, instead of ending up paralyzed or anything.

Yes, definitely (I already said that), even if the die-within-a-month condition is removed. In fact, especially if it is. I know this is what I would to be done to me. (Hey, if you guys don't see me posting for a loooong time, track me down, and if I'm in this situation, please kill me

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

).

Don't really want free service from anyone, but... the cook.

No. (Though I don't go to the movies, I just watch movies when they come on TV).

Ha! No. I actually do that.

Heck no! Not for any amount of money.

NO!

Yeah. I still haven't solved the philosophical aspect of this problem; that is whether it'll be me who comes back, and in fact, whether I'm dying each time I go to sleep (doesn't matter that my body is functioning, I'm not conscious while I'm sleeping <hence, unconscious :] >).

The second, 70% chance... That one.

12. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Guys... do you realize this thread is over 4 years old....?

My god... how I have changed....

13. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

I guess we wont know the final % then, unless someone does it. I'm too lazy.

14. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

No. I don't believe in ghosts and shit but the thought that there Might be something there would freak me out every time I heard a noise. It's all in the mind and when you're psyched up for paranormal happenings... well, you never know.

No problem as long as the risk was made clear.

Probably

In my financial position it's not enough incentive. Make it 10 mil.

Men

No that would be likely to devastate me.

My wife is the only family I care about; if she agreed to it, I might consider it.

Only if I could choose the hit.

Give them the money.

What the fuck for? I love my sleep.

I'd marry.

No way.

Yes

masseuse

Wouldn't bother me.

It might be interesting.

Ordinarily no, but if I was really poor and I could put that money to good use to get my life on track then yes, just stand well back!

It would hamper my guitar playing technique, but, hell yeah.

You mean to wake up as a total stranger in some kind of futuristic nightmare ? No thanks.

Tough call... I' put it to a vote, but if it had to be my choice then I would sacrifice 10.

15. Rosnet Philomorpher Registered Senior Member

Ha! I didn't notice it was an old thread. The culprit is lightgigantic of course. Bu I like resurrecting old threads too.

16. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

It's fine to ressurect. It was funny and enlightening to read what I wrote several years ago...

17. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

1) Yes.
    2) Yes.
    3) Exchange.
    4) No.
    5) Men.
    6) Yes.
    7) Already planning to do so.
    8) Yes.
    9) Give $1000 to 10 strangers who need it.
    10) Yes.
    11) Go through with it.
    12) No.
    13) Yes.
    14) The Cook.
    15) No.
    16) Depends on the restaurant.
    17) No.
    18) Yes.
    19) Yes.
    20) I’d put it to a vote. But if I had to choose I’d choose the 10 people die option as long as I didn’t have to select who.

~Raithere

18. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

1) (haunted house). No. I like my home comforts.

2) (Cures arthritis, side effect death). What do you mean by "released to the public?" I wouldn't want people to be able to buy it in a drug store, but I would ideally like it to be available through appropriate specialist medical practitioners.

3) (baby mix up) Borderline, could go either way. I'd defer to the wishes of the other people involved.

4) (Leave country for $1M) Yes.

5) (Who has it easier) I don't know your cultural background, but in my culture sex isn't a significant determinant of ease of life. So, neither.

6) (six months love, then loss) Yes.

7) (leave estate to humanity) Yes. Well, no, not as a bequest... I'd relinquish it all now if it would be of "great benefit to all humanity".

8) (kill innocent, end world hunger) Yes.

9) ($10,000 for me or $1000 to 100 strangers) Where's the money coming from? $1000 to 100 strangers is just shuffling numbers as far as I can tell. So $10 grand for me, please.

10) (half of net worth for magic upper) Yes.

11) (fiancee becomes paraplegic) Could go either way. Depends on the person.

12) ($1M for 10% chance of death) Yes.

13) (Euthanasia) Yes.

14) (cook, chauffeur, or masseuse) Cook.

15) (movie alone) Yes, I would feel ill at ease.

16) (restaurant alone) No, I do it often while travelling for work.

17) ($35G for 3 months bad hygeine) Yes, if I could choose the three months.

18) (finger for disease immunity) Yes.

19) (frozen for the future) What's a "modest chance", and at what financial cost? If it's free, then my personal cutoff is at about the 1% mark.

20) (leadership choice) Explain the situation, and call for voluntary sacrifices. If 10 volunteers stand up, then go with the first plan. If not, or if there's no time to explain, then go with the other choice. I wouldn't personally volunteer to be one of the 10. If the ten to die couldn't be pre-determined (ie each person has a 10% chance of death), then I'd go the first option. Filling out the paperwork afterward would be a bitch. I hope I can justify my judgement of the 30% chance of failure for plan B!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  19. Gondolin Hell hath no fury like squid Registered Senior Member

1) Yes. Why not? Done it before... it's fine.

2) I'm not sure whar arthritis is like, so I don't know.

3) I would want my child.

4) Sure.

5) Female

6) No.

7) Unless they find the cure for AIDS on my property, nothing there is of any value... especially to humanity.

8) Sure. Would there be any punishment?

9) I'll take the 10,000

10) Seeing as how it's not much, sure.

11) Go through with it.

12) Maybe... probably not.

13) Yes.

14) Well I can already cook... so I'll take the chauffer.

15) Sure.

16) Sometimes.

17) No.

18) Probably not. How else would I play Xbox?

19) I probably would...

20) The 70% one.

20. xxemoxanimexfreakxxx Registered Member

the first one....hey it's 10 outta 100 people

21. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

1)sure..i don't believe in ghosts..but i would bring earplugs..

2) yup

3) depends how ADHD he is..lol

4) you bet..1,000,000 usdollars is worth alot more in other countries

5) female..(as long as they are cute)

6) nope..but i would answer different if they cheated and stayed..

7) 10% of nothing is still nothing..

8)nope

9)i would take the 10,000

10)nope...want my 8 hours to run from reality

11)probably.

12) in a heartbeat..

13)i would put it within his reach..but i would not give it to him..

14) masseuse definatly

its just not the same..
    nope..
    17) maybe for 1,000,000

18)nope..don't wanna live forever

19) see #18

20)any volunteers?

22. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

LOL! What a dork!

23. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

1) Sure, sounds like fun.

2) Yes, as long as it came with a disclaimer.

3) No.

4) Sure, why not.

5) Neither.

6) No, not worth it.

7) Absolutely.

8) Yes.

9) I could use the money too. I'd keep it.

10) No.

11) Go thru with it.

12) No brainer, yes.

13) Yes.

14) Masseuse.

15) No.

16) No.

17) No.

18) No.

19) No.

20) I'd go with the latter option.