20 Hypothetical Questions

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Lykan, May 2, 2002.

1. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

1) Yep, it'd be an interesting night.

2) Yes, because no medicine is 100% fail-proof. People are going to go with the odds and 1% fatality isn't much to the average person.

3) A wonderful child? No idea. I'd at least look into seeing where my real child was. I probably would do the switch just because it's the right thing to do. Besides, one year's old is nothing.

4) Nope, because a million dollars isn't much these days.

5) The same. People will say a girl can't do a job a guy can yet a big guy will say a small guy can't do that same job too, heh. With any situation, all sorts of people, not just one kind, get discriminated against.

6) Heck yeah I'd still do it. If I could live famously and with rich people for 6 months too I'd still do it. I'd be crazy not to. I wouldn't feel any pain by the girl leaving if I knew she would be leaving me before hand. Even if I didn't know, I'd still do it because there's always that risk period of when trying to find love.. having them leave you. Regardless of how bad things may be going, I'm grateful for everything that I have done and wouldn't change a darn thing because I wouldn't be who I am today or doing the same things. Just one minor change in my reality could be severe. And so while it may suck that chick is gone, it was some good while it lasted.

7) I'd have to know what the great benefit to humanity was. There's some things that benefit humanity which I don't agree with so I'd have to know what it was.

8) Yep.

9) I'd give $1,000 to 100 anonymous people who need it a lot. $10,000 isn't much money.

10) Right now I'd say yes or no. I'm 50/50 because either decision won't affect me much. I don't own much nor are my possessions important to me so I could do that and get the pill. However, I don't have a need for extra time in the day either. Dreams are good too and only one hour of dreaming would suck.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But the main reason why that only-sleep-one-hour-a-day pill isn't too important is because what would I do with that time? I'd basically get extra night-time hours and well, there isn't much to do at night. If I could somehow turn those hours to change the world so it's sunny, that'd be good. But I'd also have to change everyone else's hours too. With those extra hours of time I'd have, everyone else would be sleeping, lol.

11) I wouldn't back out of the marriage right away. I'd marry her but most likely it would later end in divorce because of differences. While I love the person, just loving them isn't the reason why I'd marry them. I'd marry them for the good times we both have and the like and well, being a paraplegic would change both our lives totally. Our lives wouldn't be what they were.. they'd basically be a totally different person and that's not the person I fell in love with to marry.

12) I'm 50/50 on this. A million bucks isn't that much but on the other hand, I'm not afraid of death either. However, just because I'm not afraid of death, it doesn't mean I'd gamble my life away. So I doubt it'd do it for a million bucks, but tack on another zero or two and I would in a heartbeat.

13) I'd do it. And while some time in the future I'm sure I'd wish I could spend just one day with them, I can't change that. The person was going through lots of pain and it was their wishes to be euthenized. People are free to do as they wish, even when it comes to wanting to die.

14) Unlimited massages. Mmm.. That's my weakness, heh heh. I can already cook well and I do massages too, but it's better to be on the receiving end of that. A chauffeur is useless and for lazy people. However, if I could teleport anywhere I wanted to not have to deal with the travel time of a chauffeur, I'd choose that instead.

15) I have no problem going to a movie by myself.

16) I have no problem going to a resturaunt by myself either although I sort of reserve that sort of stuff to be done with others. The only real times I've gone to resturaunts by myself is when having lunch, but not dinner. It's not that I'm embarassed or don't like it, I just don't see the point in doing so.. especially since I tend to cook everything myself that I eat.

17) Nope, I wouldn't. I couldn't stand the grimey feeling on my body for three months without wash. Even worse if I couldn't shave either, heh. $35,000 isn't enough to do that. I would do it for a lot more money, but not 35k. I would do it for 35k if I could at least use a quick wipedown with a wet towel on my body once a week. Sleeping with a grimey, unshaven feeling is very uncomfortable and leads to lots of tossing and turning.

18) Nope, because I'm a healthy person and rarely ever get sick. That's not to say someday I'd get a disease but that would still leave the door open for many other ways of dying. I'd remove my left middle finger if I could be guaranteed to live to at least 100 without any problems though.

19) Hell yeah I'd do it. If I knew I was going to die within three weeks, I'd at least go out with a bang and being able to live a couple weeks 1,000 years later into the future is nice especially since I'm curious wonderer. Even if I wasn't able to get any nookie those 1000 years later for whatever reason, it'd be worth it. But if I wasn't frozen, you can bet your ass I'd be getting laid non-stop in those last couple weeks, heh. (d'oh, didn't realize it said live a long time once in the future. in that case heck yeah I'd still do it)

20) I'd have 10 people die and the remaining 90 live. The other is too great a risk with not that great an odd in our favor for the penalty. I might do the all or nothing thing if I knew what had to be done even if I didn't know there was only a 70% chance of saving everyone even if I thought it may be higher. I tend to be good at everything I do so if I was able to have a role in saving everyone, I'd feel better than if someone, thing, or situation was doing it. When I gamble, I don't gamble on things I don't play a part in. Horseracing, heck no. Slots, heck no. Video poker is iffy because I at least get to pick some cards but it's still crazy randomness. So if I gamble, I play card games, or something else, when I can manipulate things myself.

Fun survey.

- N

Last edited: May 19, 2004
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Heh, yeah. But only for obvious perverted reasons. I'd never leave my room unless it were to pick up other chicks.

- N

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. yumyum The All Knowing.. I think Registered Senior Member

1.yes
    2.yeah
    3.sure
    4.no
    5.men
    6.no
    7.yes
    8.yes
    9.take the 10,000
    10.hell yah
    11.yeah
    12.yeah 90% chance of liveing I like thoese odds
    13.yeah
    14.chauffeur
    15.no
    16.no
    17.no
    18.yes
    19.sure what have you got to lose
    20.the second one

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

8. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

1) Would you be willing to spend a night alone in a remote house that is supposedly haunted, just for the sake of it? (knowing nothing more about the history of the house than that) There is no electricity though there is running water and other utilities, and you can bring your own flashlight and/or lantern and such. The nearest neighbors live 5 miles away.
    No, I would see that as a waste of my time.

2) If a new medicine were developed that would cure arthritis but cause a fatal reaction in 1% of those who took it, would you want it to be released to the public?
    Yes as long as the people that are taking it are aware of the risks.

3) You discover that your wonderful one-year-old child is, because of a mix-up at the hospital, not yours. What would you do? Would you want to exchange the child to try to correct the "mistake"?
    Yes, why not.

4) Would you accept $1,000,000 in U.S. dollars (or the equivelant in whatever currency) to leave your country and never set foot in it again?
    I would Gladly leave Blighty for ever if I was given that kind of money.

5) Which gender do you think has it easier in our culture?
    Neither, we are all over stressed and over worked in this culture.

6) (For this question, if you're currently in a mate relationship then answer as if you were single) You have the chance to meet someone with whom you can have the most satisfying love imaginable -- the stuff of dreams. However, you know that in six months the person will have sex with someone else, and then when you eventually find out they will leave you for them and want nothing more to do with you. Knowing the pain that would follow, would you still want to meet the person and fall in love and experience the 6 months of bliss? You would forget your foreknowledge of the events in store for you, too.
    No.

7) If you knew of a way to use your estate, following your death, to greatly benefit all of humanity, would you do it and leave only a minimal amount (10%) to your family?
    Yes. What use is it to me once Im dead, I had to work for it so why shouldnt they?

8) Would you be willing to murder an innocent person if it would 'somehow' end all hunger in the world?
    Hmmm, I would like to say yes but I dont know if I could do that so no.

9) Would you rather be given $10,000 for your own use, or be able to give $1000 anonymously to 100 strangers? You can't pick who it's given to, though you know that all of the people could really use the money.
    Be given 10,000. I could really use the money.

10) Would you be willing to give up half of what you now own (randomly selected) for a pill that would permanently change you so that one hour of sleep each day would fully refresh you?
    If you were awake 23 hrs a day then Im guessing you would be overcome with stress. I say add a few hours onto the day. To answer the question, no.

11) If the person you were engaged to marry had an accident and became a paraplegic, would you go through with the marriage or back out of it?
    If I was in love then I would go through with it. Would divorce later probably.

12) You are offered $1,000,000 USD (or the equivalent in whatever currency) for the following act: Before you are ten pistols -- only one of which is loaded. You must pick up one of the pistols, point it at your forehead, and pull the trigger. If you can do this and walk away you do so a millionaire. Would you accept the risk?
    No.

13) Someone very close to you is in pain, paralyzed, and you 'somehow' know for certain that they will die within a month. He begs you to give him a fast-acting, painless poison so that he can die. No one else would ever know. Would you?
    No.

14) If you could have free, unlimited service for five years from an extremely good cook, chauffeur, or masseuse, which would you choose?
    Chauffeur

15) Do you feel ill at ease going out to see a movie by yourself?
    Wouldnt go by myself.

16) Do you feel ill at ease going out to dinner at a resturaunt by yourself?
    I wouldnt go by myself.

17) For $35,000 USD, would you go for three months without washing, brushing your teeth, or using deodorant? Assume you could not explain your reasons to anyone until after the three months is up.
    No.

18) Would you be willing to have your left middle finger surgically removed if it 'somehow' guaranteed you immunity from all diseases?
    No.

19) You 'somehow' know for certain that you will die of an incurable disease within three months. Would you allow yourself to be cryogenically frozen *within the week* if you knew it would give you a modest chance of being revived in 1,000 years and living a greatly extended life?
    Yes.

20) You are leading 100 people in a survivalist situation, when suddenly your lives are in danger and you must choose between two courses of action. One would cause 10 of the people to die and everyone else would live, the other would have a 70% chance of saving everyone but were it to fail then everyone would die. Which would you choose?
    The first seems like a better option.

9. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

20 Hypothetical Questions. I'm asking other people too and will share the final % results eventually...

1) spend a night alone in a remote house: i cant spend the night alone in my room. i dont see it happening.

2) cure arthritis i have arthiritis. i think ill just live with it. literally.

3) child is not yours. contact the parents and see how they felt. obviously they will have a connection between the child they have been raising aswell.

4) $1,000,000 to leave i always have liked canada... is this an offer??

5) Which gender do you think has it easier in our culture?in the end. female. we can get away with alot more, and there is less pressure put on us.

6) 6 months of bliss? love isn't that great.

7) leave only a minimal amount (10%) to your family? if its going to benefit all of humanity then my family would still be included, so yes. and even if that didnt work out that way, id still give it all away. they can earn their own just like everyone else.

8) Would you be willing to murder an innocent ? depends on the definaition of end all hunger.

9) Would you rather be given $10,000 ill take the money. im broke too.

10) give up half for a pill that would refresh you? nah. no point in staying up once you take away my car, computer and tv. lol. anyway, sleeping is something i cherish.

11) paraplegic, marriage or back out of it? dpeneds on how the situation changed the person. if they became bitter, id be gone. if they remained the same, i would postpone to be sure it would still work out. but i wouldn't leave them simply for that reason.

12) Before you are ten pistols ha!! my thrill seeker adventures end at applying mascara in rush hour traffic.

13) poison of course. as long as they are of sound mind. and i expect someone to do the same for me.

[b[14) If you could have free, unlimited service [/b]my first thought was cell phone. lol. but i would choose masseuse.. i can cook on my own and can drive myself where i need to go, but you cant rub your own back. and even if you can reach it doesnt feel the same.

15) movie by yourself? nope thats a little odd.

16)resturaunt by yourself? depends on situation. not on a friday night or anything, but if i go to the mall (i prefer shopping alone) ill either eat there or stop at a restuarant and eat. it doesnt bother me, but i wouldn't say i prefer it.

17) For $35,000 USD.. if i told people , i could probably get them to pay me 35k to start using these things again. lol. not something i would do. not enough money first off all, and secondly, not being able to brush my teeth would realllllly be disgusting.

18) left middle finger surgically removed ? sure i could lways flip ya off with my right. not to mention i think eeryone would have it done so i wouldn't look out of place anyway. it would be strange to have two! lol.

19) cryogenically frozen only if i could get the dream treatment from vanilla sky. other than that id prefer to just be wild for the next three months.

20) You are leading 100 depends on wether i liked those in my group. ha!! i would have to chose the second option, everyone deserves a chance.

10. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

God, you're a funny one.

11. Marshall Registered Senior Member

1.) No way.
    2.) Yes.
    3.) Probably, I mean... of course.
    4.) No.
    5.) Men
    6.) No. "Better to have loved and lost than never love at all" my ass.
    7.) Yes.
    8.) Undecided.
    9.) Take my money.
    10.) Yes.
    11.) Go through with it.
    12.) No.
    13.) Yes.
    14.) Cook.
    15.) Not sure what this means.
    16.) Not sure what this means.
    17.) Yes.
    18.) No.
    19.) Yes.
    20.) The one with the risk.

12. Walker Hard Work! Registered Senior Member

1.) No, for general safety reasons. If I could be guarunteed a stable phone connection (for emergencies) and had some kind of incentive, maybe.

2.) Sure. Escalated cases of arthritis can cause/contribute to death in various ways. A certain cure could be a no-brainer for some arthritis patients, even eith the "fatal 1%".

3.) Hell no. It would be traumatic to child and parent, and a relationship already exists after one year that's not easily dismissed.

4.) Yes. I mean, it depends on where I would go. I guess with a million bucks you could go wherever, and take a friend. I dunno. I'd have to seriously review the finances and logistics. But tentatively yes.

5.) Male. We have less self-imposed bullshit, and less opposite-sex-imposed bullshit.

6.) No. I'd trade bliss for contentment any day, and the dissappointment I would have in that person would undo any happiness gained in the interim.

7.) I don't have enough information to answer this question. Is my family OK financially? How am I benifiting "humanity"? Who the hell is "humanity" anyway? Is my estate worth anything to begin with? This question is trivial if based in my current situation, since I'm poor. So, go humanity, my family ain't missin' much.

8.) Nope. Sorry, hungry children of the world...no Old Testiment tribulations for me.

9.) Well, I could use 10k, and it wouldn't benifit me exclusively. I know people I love, who are good people, would also benifit. So, sorry anonymous individuals...you might just be assholes.

10.) Hell yeah, as long as there are no side effects of the "pill" in question, and as long as I would still be ABLE to sleepfor 6-10 hours. Otherwise, no.

11.) Which limbs are we talking about? Just kidding. I'd still marry her. I love the woman, after all.

12.) No. It isn't just personal risk. I have others in my life to think about. Plus, in the words of Han Solo, "what good is a reward if you're not around to spend any of it?"

13.) Jesus. Yes. Okay. Damn.

14.) Masseuse. My shoulders are like granite!

15.) No.

16.) No.

17.) No. I'd lose my job, and 35k only goes so far here in the U.S. of A.

18.) Nah. You're really starting to reach here.

19.) Nope. Once again, I'm not the only one I have to think about.

20.) The all or nothing 70% chance. Never go on an expedition of any kind with me, BTW.

13. mickyhowells Registered Member

1) No, nothing good would probably come of it
    2) Yes, but I think the public should be told of the risks
    3) No
    4) Maybe, but probably Yes. I would use the money to set up a little farm and live off it, then give the rest away.
    5) Male
    6) No
    7) Yes
    8) Yes
    9) No
    10) I dont really care, but I dont really care about what i own. So I guess I would.. but if it meant I could only sleep for 1 hour before waking up then no, because I find sleep is a good time passer.
    11) Yes, if I was going to marry someone I would love them.
    12) No
    13) Yes
    14) Masseuse
    15) No
    16) Never done it before so I dont know
    17) Of course, I aint much into hygeine.
    18) Yeah I would
    19) Yes, but I wouldnt want to live forever, just see the future then die a little after.
    20) Second one

14. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

1) Yes, it could be fun.
    2) Yes, depending on whether the fatal reaction could be anticipated by screening each patient treated with this drug.
    3) Try to find my real child - then, dependent on his/her situation, decide whether to swap.
    4) Yes, definitely.
    5) Women, these days - they get positive discrimination at work, and have their pick of sexual partners. Men make the effort.
    6) Hell, yeah! A lot can happen in 6 months...
    7) Probably: it depends how much that 10% amounts to, and how wealthy my family are to start with.
    8) Yes.
    9) Not knowing the strangers' situations, I'd keep the $10,000.
    10) Yes. Insufficient sleep is a problem, and I take on too many activities.
    11) If I truly loved her, I'd still want to marry her. I think the final decision would be hers.
    12) Yes.
    13) Yes, it would be an act of mercy.
    14) The cook.
    15) No, I usually go alone.
    16) No, unless there's a crowd of people who hate me in there at the same time!
    17) Only if I could be isolated for the whole 3 months, and avoid sugary foods. $35,000 might barely replace a good set of teeth.
    18) No, because then my manual dexterity would be impaired - and my musical ability.
    19) Yes - whether I return to this life or not, it's a voyage of discovery.
    20) If there's no chance to take a census, I'd go with the first option.

15. top mosker Ariloulaleelay Registered Senior Member

Yes, most likely.

:m: = no fatalities

Yea, I think I'd want my kid...

Sign me up!

Women - they already have the pussy. Men have to spend all their time chasing it.

no.

Why leave anything? They didnt earn that money.

This is stupid. How would murdering an innocent person possibly end world hunger?

I'd take the 10,000 and give half of it to strangers.

Maybe...

Back out. Either she can be able to walk to the kitchen to make me dinner, or she winds up on the doorstep.

Watch the movie Intacto

again, :m:

masseuse. no doubt.

Nope, and i do it all the time. I make sure to laugh loudly to myself at movies like radio.

No, but moreso than a movie.

no. too many long term effects.

Again, stupid question.

Why?

The one with 10 people dead. That leaves 89 people to eat in case i get stranded.

16. Walker Hard Work! Registered Senior Member

Hey nightfall, what shakin'?

Who is that on your avatar?

17. KOE Registered Senior Member

Just to stay there? No, thats a waste of time.

Yes, let everyone know the risks, but make thier own decision.

Family is more then just genetics. I would keep the child.

No, what good would money do me if I could never share it with my friends/family.

I would have to say a woman. Men are stupid (Yes I know I'm a man) and alot will do alot for a woman who acts like she can't do anything for herself.

Heh story of my life. Yes, I would. Even if i KNEW that it wouldn't work, I would have to try. I have missed to many chances to miss anymore.

It really depends. I would leave my family whatever they needed. If that means humanity as a whole loses out, so be it.

Innocent doesn't mean they are a good person. My decision would rest on that.

In my current situation, it would go to strangers.

Yes, the gain of 7 hours a day would be very much worth half of what I own.

I would marry them.

No, my life is worth more then any amount of money.

Yes, I think the right to die is a natural right, that no one should be able to deny.

Chauffeur if he pays for his own gas.

Yes.

No, everyone has to eat.

Nope, just not worth it in my opinion.

No, I would take my chances with the diseases, then the guaranteed lost of my finger.

No, everone has to die sometime. Running will only make the pain last longer.

I would have to let the 10 people die. It would make me feel very bad, but tough decisions have to be made.

18. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

1. sounds kind of boring with no payoff so probably not.

2. as long as the public new of the risk definitely yes.

3. I don't have a clue, my gut reaction is no but I don't have kids so it's hard to say.

4. maybe for 10,000,000 but not 1,000,000.

5. couldn't say.

6. no way in hell.

7. yes.

8. I say yes intellectually but doubt I could actually go through with it.

9. 10,000 for me.

10. hell yes, without a second thought.

11. no

12. probably not.

13. If I was sure they were sure then yes.

14. good cook, no question.

15. no

16. no

17. yes

18. are you kidding? of course! hell take 2 fingers for that.

19. how modest a chance? like what cryogenics calls a "modest chance" today or has technology advanced? As the tech stands now I'd take the 3 months.

20. I'd ask for 10 volunteers and if I didn't get them I'd cross my fingers and try for the 70%

19. Halcyon Guest

1.Yes, for some payoff.
    2.Hell yes. Tobacco Companies aren't doing their part in keeping the population down well enough. Another 1% Should help to balance the books.
    3.Sue the hospital, maybe for a couple surplus babies.
    4.With 1 Mil, one could find many ways of getting back into the country and setting up residence as another individual. yes, I would take the money under those pretenses, but I wouldn't adhere to them.
    5.Male.
    6.I've been there. I'd go through with it. No question.
    7.In a heartbeat. Well, if the benefit was medical or scientific. I don't give a damn about feeding the starving masses or anything else that doesn't support the social, physical or mental evolution of the species.
    8.Sweet Jesus, I'd murder 2 innocent people.
    9.The money's mine. At least I'd know that it's being put to good use.
    10.In a heartbeat. Does this include half of my soul?
    11.If I could feasibly support her, yes. If I loved her enough to marry her, I wouldn't have a problem. But if she would just be such a huge financial burden that would cause nothing but stress and strain on the marriage, I would end up resenting her, and so I'd have to say no.
    12.Not a chance.
    13.I'd give him the opportunity to take the leap himself.
    14.Oh God give me a cook.
    15.I prefer it.
    16.I prefer it.
    17.C'mon, who wouldn't? Breath Mints and Cologne soaked clothing, oui oui.
    18.If it offered inheritability, the ability to pass it on to my offspring, I woudn't think twice.
    19.If I only had the week to decide like you said, then no, I'd live my span and settle my accounts with this life.
    20.10 less people to protect, feed and keep track off? Nifty. I would choose to let 10 die, yes, but not for that reason, that's just a boon.

20. lightgigantic Banned Banned

No - I would rather not run the risk of being haunted by a ghost

No - I might be held legally responsible for the 1% in some over inflated hot aired court case

probably not - but I would make a decision on the basis of meeting the other parents

yes - practically never there as it is

Neither

No

Yes

No - solving world hunger would not solve the problems of living

10 grand for myself - I would never give $1000 to a person I know absolutely nothing about

Probably not because I would be suspicious that it would lessen one's life expectancy

Go through with it - abandoning a woman who has taken shelter of you is inauspicious

No

No

None

Yes

Yes

No - life without taking a bath is intolerable

if the middle finger was a cause of disease - yes
    if it was just some attempt for attaining happiness in the material world - No (because my allotted miseries in life would simply take other avenues of arrival than disease)

No - I would still have to face death anyway - better to deal with it maturely - the ideal situation to die in is one where you have advanced warning

save everyone

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  21. vslayer Registered Senior Member

1) if i had nothing better to do. it might be fun.

2) only if doctors warned of the risk before prescribing it.

3) his DNA would not concern me, i had raised this child as my own, and i feel no urge to 'trade-him-in'

4) yes, the amount of good i could do for the poor with that money would far outweigh any personal loss.

5) females.

6) yes. easy come easy go, i might aswell enjoy it while i have it, rather than not have it at all.

7) definitely. although i do care about my family, they have the means to support themselves, so the money should go to those who truly need it.

8) yes. the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. with the amount of people dying daily from hunger i could do so without remorse.

9) if they could really use it, then the strangers. if it were going to go to the rich, then i would take the 10K and redistribute it myself.

10) yes. possessions can be replaced, but i can never buy 7 hours a day of my life back.

11) its hard to say without actually being in the situation, but i would say probably stick with it.

12) no. if i dont win, then the rich keep that 10m and the poor lose out on what i currently give.

13) definitely. people have the right to end their own lives, so if they are unable, then i must act according to their wishes.

14) the masseuse; i dont trust other people to prepare my food, and i like driving.

15) no, but generally i will only go out to see a movie with another person. i can just download it or rent it if i want to wach it myself.

16) i dont go to restaurants, so i cant answer this one.

17) yes. i havent brushed my teeth in about 3 years because of my vegetarianism, i have never needed to use deodorant, and i probably dont shower more than once or twice a fortnight anyway.

18) no. i need my middle finger, and besides, disease is natures way of killing off weak genes to ensure the survival of the species.

19) no. i dont think i could adapt to life 1000 years in the future.

20) there are better odds to let the 10% die, than to risk everyones lives on a 70% chance.

22. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

1) Just for the sake of it? Probably not.
    2) If the public were aware of the risk, yes. Let each person decide for themselves if they want to take that risk.
    3) Probably yes.
    4) Yes.
    5) Have what easier? Life? Don't think either.
    6) Strange one. Yes, maybe.
    7) Probably, yes.
    8) What if that innocent person was me? Can I kill myself?

9) Give it away.
    10) No. I wouldnt trust any drug like that. I'd probably end up worrying what the hell that pill is doing to me.
    11) Go through with it.
    12) No.
    13) Yes.
    14) If you have to choose (as opposed to no-one) then: Cook.
    15) No.
    16) Yes.
    17) Probably no.
    18) Nope. You could still get killed by a car or other accident (assuming it doesn't make you immortal).
    19) Yes. Rather get it over and done with. Besides, if I didnt like the future I can always kill myself.
    20) Second one.

23. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

1. Spend a night alone in an haunted house?
    Yes, and would prefer it if it was the most notorious haunted house on the planet. I don't believe that ghosts exist but would very much like them to. That would be cool and would imply the existence of an afterlife (something else I don't believe in). The trouble is that, if I didn't see anything, it wouldn't disprove their existence. And, if I did, it could be a trick. So I think I'd probably leave with more questions than I entered with. I'd still do it though, just for jollies.

2. Support arthritis cure that's fatal for 1%?
    Yes, providing that the public have full info.

3. Exchange a 1-year-old child that you discover isn't yours?
    I'd say yes, and I'd imagine that the other parents would be just as keen to get their own offspring back. The child would be unaware of the drama, and I'd be sure to tell it the story at a later date. I'd probably also want to keep in touch with the other parents. But it's hard to tell for sure until you've been in that situation.

4. Take $1 million to leave your country permanently?
    Would I get a bonus if I left today?

5. Which gender do you think has it easier in our culture?
    Neither.

6. Have love of your life, only to be betrayed after 6 months?
    No. Not worth the trouble.

7. Use estate to benefit humanity, leaving only 10% to family?
    Too vague to give a considered answer. I'd say a tentative yes, assuming that there's a considerable benefit, but more info needed really.

8. Murder an innocent to end world hunger?
    If the innocent freely agrees, and is a mentally stable adult who's able to make an informed decision, then yes. Otherwise, no. Not something I'd agree to, by the way!

9. $10,000 for own use or $1000 each anonymously to 100 strangers?
    I'd keep it, given that I don't know anything about the strangers. Might reconsider with more info.

10. Give up half your possessions in return for ability to manage on 1 hours sleep a day?
    Where do I sign?

11. Person you're engaged to becomes a paraplegic - go ahead with marriage?
    Damn, and I was doing so well. I can say straight away that if I was the paraplegic I wouldn't want to subject someone to a life like this. But this one's too complicated to give a simple answer to. My head says no, I don't think I could cope. But there'd have to be a lot of talking involved to make a decision on this one. Probably, as others have said, their head would be so messed up that any thought of marriage would go on the back-burner anyway. Can't give a definite answer to this one - again, you'd have to be there. Hope I never am.

12. Pick a pistol from 10 for $1 million?
    Nope.

13. Give poison to a suffering close associate who has 3 months to live?
    A no-brainer. Yes, definitely.

14. Cook, chauffeur or masseuse free for 5 years?
    Cook.

15. Do you feel ill at ease going out to see a movie by yourself?
    Haven't but would go.

16. Do you feel ill at ease going out to dinner at a restaurant by yourself?
    Haven't and wouldn't go. I'm just not that hungry.

17. Go 3 months without washing, brushing your teeth, or using deodorant in exchange for $35,000?
    Yes. I don't sweat much, so I don't think the loss of hygiene would be a big problem. Not brushing my teeth would be horrible, plenty of mouthwash required, but I'd struggle through. It's quite a lot of cash for a relatively minor inconvenience.

Hmm.. I'm thinking again. Don't think I could go that long without brushing my teeth... ok. I'd do it, but only if I could really make use of the money.

18. Have your left middle finger surgically removed if it guaranteed you immunity from all diseases??
    Yes.

19. Be frozen this week with modest chance of revival in 1000 years or live only a further 3 months from now?
    Another have-to-be-there situation. Off the top of my head, I'd probably try to enjoy my last 3 months on earth.

20. Cause death of 10 out of a hundred or give all a 70% chance of surviving?
    I'd put it to the vote. If it had to be my decision, I'd go for all-or-nothing.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006