1947-1967 West Bank history?

Discussion in 'History' started by Dinosaur, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

I made a post similar to this one about one or two years ago, resulting in fierce arguments between fanatics from both sides of the Palestinian-Israeli issue. There was no attempt to answer my query. I hope I have better luck this time.

It is my understanding that the West Bank was taken over by Jordan during the 1947-1948 Arab/Israeli war, and controlled by them until Israel took control during a war in 1967. I believe Jordan officially annexed the West Bank in the early 1950's, and then considered it part of Jordan.

I wonder how many (if any) Palestinians (or other Arabs) living in the West Bank were displaced during the 1947-1948 war. Of all of the Arabs displaced during that war, what percentage came from the West Bank area taken over by Jordan?

While they controlled the area, did Jordan allow any Arabs displaced from the West Bank to return to their homes? Did they allow any Arabs displaced from elsewhere to settle in the West Bank area?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

All that matters is with the illegal creation of Israel the Jewish squatters evicted by force of terror 1 million indigenous Palestinians .

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

First thing, What is a Palestinian and what is a Jordanian? Are the people of Liechtenstein Swiss, Austrian or Bavarian?

I read that prior to 1920 the people of current north Jordan were connected to the Syrians, south Jordan to the Hijaz and West Jordan to the West Bank. I believe that most of Israel Jordan and Syria and entire West bank were part of the Ottoman Damascus/Syria Vilayet/province. I have heard that Palestinians were sometimes known as South Syrians.

The British made and broke many promises to many people. I read that the British East India Company backed the House of Saud in a war against The Hashemite Sharif of Mecca who were backed by the British empire based in Egypt including Lawrence of Arabia. So the British were fighting a proxy war against themself which they could not lose. The house of Saud won the war but as a consolation prize the British placed the Hashemites on the thrones of the two new nations Jordan and Iraq that the British dreamed up and created.

According to some in 1948 that the Hashemite King of Jordan created a secret West Bank partition plan with the leaders of the Israeli Jews but neither the King nor the Jewish leaders told their fighters. According to the same sources The Jordanian barely fought the Jews in 1948 and the few battles they had were mistakes. I read that the Palestinians fought a battle or two against the Jordanians in 1948 but I can't find that source now.

By 1948 much of the land in the West bank had no written land tittle recorded anywhere. But the land did have owners and renters. Some areas had no owners but had communal grazing land for centuries.

I saw no sign that either Jordanian rule or the massive influx of Palestinian refugees from current Israel in any way stole land from those who had owned it under the British and Ottoman. I read that most of the current land tittles for West Bank land originated during that 19 years of Jordanian rule. Some say the Jordanian rulers were harsh to Palestinian Jews and Palestinian Christians but others say the accounts of harhness were just propaganda and not true.

It seems that no Arabs were displaced from their West Bank homes in 1948 who did not get their homes back. In 1950 Jordan annexed the West Bank that it conquered in 1948. The only nation that "recognized" the annexation was the UK (and maybe Pakistan). Jordan granted citizenship to the people of the West Bank and all of the refugees from Israel who fled to the West and East banks.

The Jordanian King wanted peace with Israel. The refugees from Israel wanted their homes back and therefore wanted war. The refugees did not appreciate the kings behavior in 1948.

In 1951 at the Al Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem Palestinians assasinated the King. There was a Palestinian revolt in 1956 or 1957 that Jordan put down. There was no significant conflict between Palestinians and Jordanians again until after 1967 and by then the West Bank was no longer involved. In 1970 Jordan kicks the PLO out of Jordan because of fears that Palestinians were going to take over Jordan.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mathman Valued Senior Member

Before the creation of the Jewish state (1948), all the land that Jews lived on was bought from somebody. Since the British were in control, the Jews had no right to "take" anything, but they were able to buy.