14 mile long "thing" in Antarctica

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by Magical Realist, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

That's a blank spot due to poor satellite coverage.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Noted. But why the striations? Is that typical?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

in my opinion, the best way to map the planet would be with a polar orbit.
    it seems to me that the worst coverage would be near the equator, not the poles.

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Quite possible that they are "blanked out" for security / intellectual property rights reasons, things like that. Could be something being done at a research facility, etc. No real way to tell unless you go there

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Fortress of Solitude? "Ming the Merciless" base? Okay admittedly Wrong hemisphere, but if you wanted to throw your arch-nemesis off you going to tell them somewhere else, like the opposite side of the planet.

Again wrong hemisphere would be Ice Station Zebra, Perhaps this one was Ice Station Aardvark

10. leopold Valued Senior Member

in this day and age when google earth is well known, i seriously doubt if someone would build a "secret" base 4 miles wide in antarctica where it could be easily spotted.

another thing, the military has a far better resolution than you will get.
    even government employees has said "it's pretty nice to be able to read a license plate from orbit".
    i doubt if a secret base in the middle of nowhere will get by the military, unless it's underground.

11. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Yes: Google anti-aliasing.

12. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

I new better.
    And I still clicked! Pure hogwash!! And thoughts of a underground base is laughable! If a base was underground you would make heat heat gets out and turns to ice. All the ducts and stuff would be iced over! The "door" would be like on a sub I guess but that would not work so well with blowing snow and frezzing temps, what would a country really do with a military underground bace in a very harsh place like that? Even research is mainly above ground ..... and another unbelieveable flipping youtube vid...

13. leopold Valued Senior Member

i have google earth and i've seen "strange things" with it too.
    it's almost as if the images got mixed up or something.
    this would imply some sort of software glitch.

14. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

you're running your mouth with complete ignorance.
    geothermal energy

15. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

16. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Perhaps... but YOU certainly are!

17. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

explain..
    ahh wait,
    i see what you are trying to attempt,
    just another ignoramus who thinks they are an intellect, looking for an argument.
    comical.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2016
  18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I am curious... R1D2, Read-Only - you believe this to be something of significance, as opposed to a photographic anomaly?

19. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

Where Kittamaru did ya get that I-Deer? I don't think its a military instalation. And I said its hog wash.... I will be more clear I don't think its anything. May be ice or a rock. This is Something not man made. This is not some unrealistic "thing" and its not no "monster"....
    Wait a second! here is a crazy thought I just had, might this "thing" be a plane, or whale. Or a boat stuck in the ice??

20. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

21. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Absolutely not. It's the result of a photographic anomaly, bad stitching, or some similar.

22. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Damnit. I thought it was going to be a lot better that that. It's not even speculative, just some damn render problem.

#robbed

23. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

My apologies - I just wanted to clarify for my own sake/sanity heh