100K Indians die on the roads per year

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Syzygys, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I guess that includes falling off of elephants, I am talking about motorized deaths....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. NO1 I Am DARKNESS Registered Senior Member

was driving over pedestrians a hindrance too SAM? lulz.
    A cop there, IMO, lets people actually get a chance to cross the street

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I don't drive - strictly a public transport person for the last 4 decades. But follow any traffic bottleneck in Bombay and you'll find a traffic cop in the center of it.

Besides, you're not supposed to cross in the middle of traffic, only at designated lights, which work fine, even in the absence of a cop.

Unless you stay in Calcutta where no one looks at the traffic lights [at least, not that I could tell]

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Don't need a DOCTOR?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Blasphemy!

Oh. Yes. Those guys. Well. I suppose. Are you sure a cure-all vaccine wouldn't fix it?

8. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Do you have a decent bicycle?

They can be handy, you know.

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

It's a consensus thing. It's very difficult to follow the rules when no one else is.
    Big deal. A difference of half an order of magnitude between two figures hardly casts doubt on the measurement methodology. Many of those countries don't keep particularly good statistics, and the definition of "road deaths" is a little ambiguous anyway.
    Obviously the average citizen can't do the job of an ophthalmologist, but with this technology he can do a fair approximation of the work of an optometrist. They may not all end up with vision corrected to 20/20, but just having 20/30 would be a miraculous improvement in many of their lives.

10. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

FR your comments are getting seriously irrelevant(and not just in this thread). I think you are getting old.

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I am getting old.

Nonetheless, if we're talking about traffic accidents I don't see the irrelevance of analyzing their cause and discussing a solution.

12. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Well, this thread is about motorized accidents, as a result of technological improvement. I am sure people fell off of horses 2000 years ago too, but let's leave it at that. 200 years ago you could avoid not using "technology" nowadays it is quite impossible when it goes to traveling...

The other point of this thread is that if there is a particular accident with a few dozens deaths, it is all the horror, but we don't even think about the average hourly deathrate due to automobiles.... (almost 5 people per hour in the US)

Or let's put it this way: In the 11 July 2006 Mumbai train bombings 209 people died. But that also equals the number of Indians dying in road accidents in a 20 hours period (11.6 hourly death rate) and of course everybody got scared by the bombings but nobody cared about the "usual suspects" aka automobiles...

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Irrational risk management: my pet peeve. In the first ten years of this millennium about 3,000 Americans were killed by terrorists, and about 120,000 Americans were killed by drunk drivers. It would be so cheap and easy to reduce drunk driving deaths to the level of lightning or bee stings: just install a breathalyzer ignition interlock in every car at the factory.

But since those terrorism deaths all occurred at the same time, and were perpetrated by people we don't like very much instead of our friends and neighbors and family members, we'll spend trillions of dollars and turn the entire planet into a war zone in a quixotic attempt to catch them, and let the drunks go.

14. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Being slightly sarcastic there, but doctors routinely cost several hundred dollars a visit whilst not always producing the best results.

15. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

AARRRGGHH!! Someone has seen the circuitry under the panel!

It's something one should marvel at, isn't it. OOOOOHHHH!!! TERRORISM! OMFG! MARIJUANA! GATEWAY DRUG!!! MAYHEM!!!!

The biggest causes of mortality are routine and mass murderers. The celebrity criminals of the world are trifles, but cost us WAY more, in both money and freedom.

You should be ashamed for pointing those things out. I mean, really! Do you hate America THAT much?!?

16. rcscwc Registered Senior Member

Yet Delhi has wider roads, wider than London even.

Driving in Kolkata? I had a bloodless face even riding as passenger.

17. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

WHOA!

I didn't notice that video until now. That's, uh, crazy. What city was that?

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

For suicide maybe. There are few pedestrian walks, let alone bike tracks.

Can't tell, with licence plates being so blurred. But, its a pretty generic example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX5HMO15C0s&feature=related

Just check out this idiot "crossing the road" in Hyderabad [and I mean the guy holding the camera]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9DLlMMXhKg&feature=related

19. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

You're a spokeswoman for anarchism? Let the market (traffic) take care of itself!

That shit is creepy. I mean to say, I'm glad I saw no accidents there in that several minutes of footage. Still disconcerting to someone who is used to some frickin order on the road system!