100 year old smoked since age 7!

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by madanthonywayne, Aug 29, 2007.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

If nothing else, this article is worth reading for this picture:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

This old lady has smoked since age 7, since 1914! Meanwhile, Jim Fixx, the man who popularized running after he stopped smoking, started running, and wrote a book about it dropped dead at age 52 while jogging!

Nature or nuture? Pretty easy call in both of these cases.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

Who said this life had ethics
    Did life ever give guarantees?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

just live on and watch the clouds pass by

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

That's true. I still remember when Jim Fixx died. I was running at cross country practice and asked the coach if this running thing was safe, given that the running guru just dropped dead! The coach said, "Just keep running!"

8. draqon Banned Banned

...well what can I say...as I always say "eat the right food and do exercise"
    Meaning body fat % must be below 15% and vitamin daily input must be stable and complete.

9. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

No, no. The secret is to start smoking at age 7 and never go jogging.

10. draqon Banned Banned

there are no secrets in this world. It is a rullete, were anything goes. But you and I can obstain/decrease our probability of unsuccessfull outcome by following recommendations of care for our physical and psychological selves.

11. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Fixx supposedly had a family history of heart disease. His downfall appears to have been genetic - although I also wonder if he had the necessary checkups, or if this was preventable? Can they check for this kind of thing? Did these tests exist in the 80s?

humph......does sound a bit biased for a wiki article though.

Also - Cigarettes aren't guaranteed to kill a person.

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Writing from personal experience, Fixx trumpeted the health benefits of running. After starting to jog at age 35, he quit smoking and shed 50 pounds. Yet at age 52, Fixx collapsed while running on a tree-shaded road in Vermont. He was found lying beside the road, dead of a heart attack. The date was July 20, 1984.

Two decades after an event that might have halted the running boom mid-stride, what remains of the legacy of Jim Fixx? Have today's runners even heard of him, and do they understand the reasons for his death?

Dangers of running

This year, 75,000 runners applied to enter the New York City Marathon, which uses a lottery system to accept half that number. The LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon limits its field to 40,000. In 1984, the year of Fixx's death, 170,000 runners finished American marathons. By 2003, the number had jumped to 400,000, according to figures from the USATF Road Running Information Center. Check the running paths in any major city, and you can see that Jim Fixx lives--at least in spirit.

Running can be dangerous, concedes Paul Thompson, M.D., a cardiologist from Hartford Hospital in Connecticut, who cites studies from Seattle and Rhode Island that identifies the number of individuals who die annually from heart attacks while exercising as 1 out of 15,000. But the studies are old, preceding even Jim Fixx's death, and reflect very few incidents: 10 in Rhode Island, 9 in Seattle. A somewhat later study of runners in the Marine Corps and Twin Cities Marathons between 1976 and 1994 suggests 1 death per 50,000 participants.

http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/c...to=http://www.halhigdon.com/Articles/Fixx.htm

13. ntgr Registered Senior Member

I don't think I would want to live 100 years.
    But if you smoke, like me, there is a 50% chance that the cause of your death will be smoking.

14. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

The question that should be asked is if she actually inhales or just puffs on the cigarette.

inhaling obviously takes it into the lungs, puffing it obviously just releases a lot of smoke and really just increases the chances of Thyroid Cancer.

15. draqon Banned Banned

so we got a choice on a menu here, lung cancer and/or thyroid cancer...how graceful

16. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Inhaling increases the risk of both lung and thyroid cancer.

17. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Heart disease kills about 1 in 400 americans each year. Regular exercise cuts your odds of dying of heart disease in half. The 1 in 15,000-50,000 risk that the exercise itself might kill you is utterly trivial compared to the huge reduction in your likelihood of dying of heart disease.

18. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Decantemix mentioned George Burns..Reminds me of something he said on his 100th Birthday. He was asked what his doctor thought about him smoking 5 cigars a day. With no hesitation, he replied "My doctor's dead".

19. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

My grandfather has smoked since age 8, he is 94 now; he obviously has cancer. Other person could easily smoke for 6 years and get cancer, it´s all relative.

The thing is, it is a known fact that aproximately 150.000 US smokers die each year due to lung cancer; it just can´t be a coincidence.

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

His doctor died of second hand smoke from Georges cigars!

21. John99 Banned Banned

I never thought it was a fact that smoking causes cancer, we know that lung cancer effects non-smokers just as easily. It does cause emphysema which is very bad- not being able to breath is baaaaad.

That picture looks like my granny. She smoked like a chimney and died at 94, she must have started when she was 12. She didnt breath too good by that time but was tough as nails and nothing bothered this woman.

22. Nasor Valued Senior Member

False. Only 10% of men and 22% of women who get lung cancer are non-smokers. Smokers are only about 30% of the US population, but they account for 85% lung cancer. Coincidence???