100 Tera-Electron-Volt Particle Accelerator

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by paddoboy, Jan 3, 2016.

1. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/1...0-tera-electron-volt-particle-accelerator.htm

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

CERN scientists are currently exploring the feasibility of a 100 tera-electron-volt (TeV) particle accelerator, with a new cooling design scheme that could slash the cost of cooling future machines. The 100 TeV collider will produce seven times the energy per collision that of the Large Hadron Collider.
    (Photo : Guillaume Jeanneret | CERN)

Scientists at the European Organization for Nuclear Research are currently exploring the feasibility of a 100 tera-electron-volt (TeV) particle accelerator through a new cooling design scheme that could slash the cost of cooling machines in the future.

The 100 TeV collider will produce seven times the energy per collision that of the Large Hadron Collider, as well as maintain a circumference almost four times more and radiate a thousand times more power – a never-before-seen amount of heat.

As cooling the future collider will be too expensive via current techniques, a new cooling scheme from CERN’s Roberto Cimino proposed substantially less energy use, and therefore more manageable costs.

Exploring The Dark Universe

The 17-mile-long LHC is the biggest and most potent particle collider in the world today. It was created to explore the massive and unknown “dark universe.”

A TeV, a unit of energy in particle physics, has about the energy of motion of a flying mosquito. The LHC is considered extraordinary because itsqueezes energy into a space that is around a million times smaller than a mosquito.

Studying extreme energy is deemed crucial in better understanding how the universe came to be post-Big Bang.

University of Copenhagen researchers who are part of CERN’s studyexplained that the Universe was once composed of a dense hot mix of fundamental particles known as gluons and quarks – a state known as the quark-gluon-plasma.

A millionth of a second after the Big Bang happened, the QGP began fusing together to form bulk matter as well as other particles. Researchers believed that the fusion emerged from a strong nuclear force enabling the binding of the quarks.

CERN’s mission is to recreate the high temperature akin to the universe’s creation, when these fundamental particles were in a liquid-like form. Researchers will do this through colliding lead ions and then converting the kinetic energy of the collision into matter.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

As usual, politics and economics will probably rear their ugly heads.
    But what a boon for mankind would such an incredible engineering feat if undertaken would produce.
    Far more benefits than religiously inspired warring and any other excuses for the many skirmishes that take place on our fart arse little blue orb and the militaristic expenditures involved.

I say great stuff! Go ahead and build it as soon as possible.

danshawen likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. danshawen Valued Senior Member

Great post, as always, paddoboy. They must have found a way to increase and/or concentrate the magnitudes of the dipole and quadruple magnetic fields again.

But whenever I see a reference to very short time intervals like this one applied to energy densities so far off our accustomed scale, I really have to ask: RELATIVE to what? The passage of time is at different rates everywhere, and I have to wonder what standard rate of time passage is being applied in this situation. If there is no place else in the universe to compare it to, it makes very little sense to talk about how fast or how slow the reaction occurred, and if the expansion is referenced to the passage of time at its geometrical center, then how did that compare with the passage of time we experience now?

A millionth of a second could be a very long time indeed in a situation or a volume of light travel time where all of the energy of the universe was concentrated in a singularity.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

It is irrelevant what a distant observer would see. A second is always a second in the local frame. A second is the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the cesium 133 atom and it is independent of the motion of the reference frame when measured in the frame.

danshawen likes this.
  8. danshawen Valued Senior Member

So it is your contention that the "0ne millionth of a second" is a proper time related to a hyperfine transition of an element which for the universe in question DOES NOT YET EXIST? That's some hyperfine reasoning there, origin. It is a throwback to the absolute time of Newton, not a vindication of relativity's concept of proper time. There is a difference.

Translation: whomever made the calculation of the scale of that timebase didn't consider this to be a problem either, which suggests to me that they may be either a relativity denier or a young earth creationist or both.

I will grant, it isn't likely to be a problem related to this new collider.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  9. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Hey, you are the guy that liked my post....

danshawen likes this.
  10. danshawen Valued Senior Member

Sure I like it when you gift me a response I've wanted to use for about 20 years!

And thanks.

11. danshawen Valued Senior Member

Proper time means "local" time, which may be very different from the rate at which time dilates everywhere else. Take a watch and a meter stick and an atomic clock based on a hyperfine transition of cesium with you into orbit and you won't notice much difference until your spacecraft gets back to Earth. Then, depending on how fast you went and how long you were in orbit, there may be an appreciable difference in the rates the respective (ground, orbital) timepieces have recorded the passage of the intervening time interval.

With something that presumably has all the mass of the universe at its core, time is going to proceed very slowly indeed. Young Earth creationists like this idea so much, many sects have absorbed portions of relativity into the cannon of their religions to explain how long a second is to G-d, whether they understand the physics or not. It effectively derails most conversations about the scientific validity of radioisotope dating and the fossil record.