< $100 7inch Android table selling now

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Billy T, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Chipz Banned Banned

So they say. I've never ordered a Chinese marketed product and not had it be a total POS.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Hard to believe as Foxconn alone makes bout half of electrons the US imports!

Their cost of labor has caused them to redesign their factories - They are ordering 1 million production line robots! (have only 10,000 now)

If you have a portable computer - I bet its LI-ion battery is Chinese made.

This unit may be crap - I don't know. Just thought people would be interested to know of it - 7inch color screen, Android 4 OS, 8 hour battery life for watching video , 7 hours for web browsing & <$100 !!!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Two years ago, hubby ordered me an engraved Product Red Ipod on-line from Apple, as a gift.

It arrived in the Yukon within five days, designed in California and assembled in China. The unit has been trouble free.

8. Chipz Banned Banned

I said Chinese-marketed products, the hyphen added makes it less ambiguous now.

There's nothing wrong with Chinese-made products per se...but it seems products originally targeted to be marketed and sold in China rarely are of any quality. Lenovo products are great, they're made in China. All of this has obviously been my experience only.

9. Yazata Valued Senior Member

$99 Android 'tablets' are already available in the United States under a variety of tradenames. Two that I've seen are 'Pentech' and 'Sylvania'. You can order them from CVS pharmacy's online site, among many other places.

Talk is that they are junk and the advice I've heard is not to waste your money on one.

I'm inclined to believe that. I bought a $99 'Sylvania' 'laptop' from CVS online about a year ago and was underwhelmed by what finally arrived at my door. Despite the 'Sylvania' name, which suggests a very reputable American manufacturer from several decades ago, it turned out to be a totally cheap (in both senses of the word) Chinese product. Apparently the Sylvania company is no longer in business and somebody in China purchased the rights to the name.

When the thing arrived, it turned out that the advertised wifi didn't work. Some web searching (with a real computer) turned up a software patch on the distributer's website. (Some mysterious import company in New Jersey.) I downloaded that to a usb drive with the computer, installed it, and the wifi actually worked for a few weeks. Then it died again, this time due to an inability to detect wifi signals.

Small but usable keyboard. It came pre-loaded with software for Youtube and whatnot, but its processor was weaker than a cell-phone's and totally incapable of handling video. It displayed webpages pretty well when the wifi was working but I found it almost impossible to post to boards like this one from it. That's all gone now that the wifi is dead.

I still use the thing to read pdf-format e-books. It has a bright 7" color screen and a barely adaquate pdf reader. It can't open many books that I have no trouble with on a Kindle, a Kobo or using Adobe Acrobat on a regular computer. On the other hand, it navigates well from page to page in inside the books. Battery life is poor, so I typically use it plugged in. The biggest drawback is very inadaquate memory. It only holds a few books, but does have a usb port so that it's possible to keep your books stored externally and only import them as you read them. I sometimes use it to move e-books between a usb drive and a Kobo that I carry around with me everywhere, and it works reasonably well for that.

That's the 'laptop' and not the 'tablet'. But given the same 'Sylvania' pseudo-brand, I'm guessing that the quality and purchaser experience might turn out to be similar.

I've subsequently bought a Kindle Fire from Amazon and find myself rather pleased with it. $199 as opposed to $99, but it's a functional device that does what it's advertised to do and seems solidly constructed and difficult to break.

I suspect that if you try to go much cheaper than that, at this point in time, you may end up getting what you pay for and may be disappointed.

10. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Not just yours - within last month Lenovo (was once IBM's) computers took first place in sales of their type.

11. elte Valued Senior Member

??

Hmm, I was thinking of getting an Android-operated tablet-netbook if it could be connected to my RJ-45 Ethernet Internet access (DSL). I get nervous of the thought of being without Internet access if my computer breaks down. I seem to recall that the $99 one that I saw had an RJ-45 jack, but that's about as much as I know. ??

12. X-Man2 We're under no illusions. Registered Senior Member

Small World! Our CVS here in the Midwest was advertising a 99.00 laptop a few weeks ago.(Probably the same one)The wife and I went to CVS to see this laptop in person.I was skeptical of course at the price.We didnt find it so we asked a worker.The worker filled us in on all the returns CVS had and also let us know the laptops were all being pulled from the shelves.I guess we were lucky not to have gone thru buying one earlier and having to return it.

13. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

If you want a cheap android tablet, just wait a year or two. By then, the marquee manufacturers (Samsung, Motorola, etc.) will be selling sweet ones for cheap. In the meantime, consider snapping up a discounted Kindle or something to read ebooks on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.