10 years old in court for racism!

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by alexb123, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

Bullying is a problem, but I don't think there's ever been the kind of organised hatred against fat people that there has been against, say, blacks - look at the KKK. Admittedly a pop-culture that tells everyone they're overweight if more than skeletal and encourages them to take on the latest fad diet is tough on plump people, but nobody campaigns to "send those fat folks back where they came from".

I think the principle difference is that many people have fat friends or at least relatives, whereas many white people have no black relatives and if they choose can associate only with other whites. That kind of strengthens the 'us vs them' barrier.

Children have minds? I mean, 'course they do, but they're still very easily influenced by what their parents believe... whether more so than adults are by their peers I'm not sure, but at least adults have more choice of peers than children do of parents.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. firecross Scientist Registered Senior Member

Most people parrot the positions of their news sources, as they are incapable of independent thinking. Since the news media exists to provide entertainment that sells commercial time, most news sources avoid presenting any idea that could offend a part of their audience base. That is why news is so fluffy, castrated, and superficial.

Most people parrot positions that have no content. This parroting misses the facts of a situation because those are glossed over or deliberately misrepresented by media to avoid presenting any unpleasant truths.

No.

Free-thinking was fairly common before the widespread addiction to media consumption arose. When people can think for themselves they can use their reasoning facilities to make their own interpretations instead of repeating what an authority has told them to represent.

Such free-thinking would be good for society.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Very well said, firecross...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Facial Valued Senior Member

Oh, I see... so the Civil War, Lincoln's EP, the civil rights movement, MLK, etc. were all media propaganda!

And yes, furthermore, I can see what the truth is supposed to look like - the roaring 20's what a great period! Stock market crash, polio/flu/cholera outbreaks, bootleggers, Teapot domes - what a great time it was. What about that greatness? My, it must have been due to the concentration of superior human beings from the inferior impurities!

I want pure milk. No chocolate, it makes it look ugly and less nutritious. Indeed.

This is somewhat true from a socio-political standpoint, it cannot apply when it comes to the coverage of historical matters because with time, current matters refine into objective facts and certain truths. Some truths are open to political interpretation, and others are more confined.

8. Facial Valued Senior Member

Such as - zealism for the multiregional hypothesis? (btw, we're still waiting for your list of "current discoveries" there)

And uhhh... oh! Race-based vitamins? Why, isn't that such a novel idea. Just like Pentawater and Happeh fibers.

9. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

dear god, fucking nanny state england, what a waste of time, the legal system should spend more of its time on trying to catch poeple like rapists than this kind of shit

10. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

Insulting is only harmful if you WANT to perceive it as that. You could tell me my mother is a whore or that I'm a fucking fatass nigger but I'd just laugh at you.

11. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Somebody must have obviously talked to the kid and pointed out the error of his ways, not least because he was going to be prosecuted, but nevertheless, the kid was wise enough to see reason and become friends with the one he abused. The big question is, why wasn't this done initially when the problem first appeared or was complained about, by a responsible person at the school such as the headmaster, instead of letting it get completely stupid such as what happened?

12. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Very true...

13. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Principal? Shit, where I went it wasn't even that. We just got sent to the teacher or had a 5-minute T-O.

14. dmac2020 Registered Senior Member

I think that because the judge was a Jew - and because the victim was a muslim child - he has let the racist child escape punishment.

Presumably, considering the judge's comments, he does not want to see another case in court like this again, ie, it is not, in his opinion, wrong to racially insult muslim children.

Disgusting.

15. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

that is absolute rubbish dmac,
    a. judges are unbiased
    b. do you know what the child called the other child

16. Xeeg Registered Member

Dmac, i hope you are being sarcastic, otherwise it sounds like you are only supporting your own agenda. The point here is not what race is being discriminated against. Why should a kid be sent to court over NAME CALLING? This is absolutely rediculous!!!!!!
    Sure punish him, or better yet teach him WHY these words have such a negative viewpoint in our society. The judge realized that this case has nothing to do with teaching children the values of our society, but is taking a bit of name calling way out of proportion. The teachers in this situation just don't know how to properly educate or punish children, so they move it to the next higher level (aka courts) and wipe their hands clean. Good job teacher's union! You really came through for the kids.

Dmac do you think the judge would prosecute some kid who called some guy "white trash", "round eye", "fish belly" or something? NO, because this is just plain absurd!

There was another comment earlier about freedom of speech. Now i don't know what american laws are, but i thought freedom of speech still restricted specific hate groups that promote violence on basis of racial and ethnic terms.

Last edited: May 20, 2006
  17. dmac2020 Registered Senior Member

Name calling belittles and degrades all of us Xeeg. This is because it is an insult against nature and we are all part of nature.

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  18. Xeeg Registered Member

Of course it's degrading and hurts. The controversy is not whether the kid did the right thing. I'm simply saying that taking the kid to court over this is teaching him something far worse. This is teaching him that courts, judges and lawyers are the only people who have responsibility in this world. I guess that's the "american way". Personally, it disgusts me that these people hide behind lawyers and judges to escape their responsibilities.

These teachers are a discrace to the word "teacher". They don't even know what to do with a childhood name calling dispute.

19. mountainhare Banned Banned

Zephyr:

Sorry for replying so late... I forgot about this thread.

I'm not so sure about the above. Fat people have been loathed in the past, and they are continuously belittled and given unequal treatment even today.

Well, it's actually far more than that. I'm not a fat person, but I have seen first hand the bullying and discrimination that fat people can suffer.

Not a very good example, since these fat people didn't come from 'somewhere else' in the first place. Nevertheless, it is common to hear viscious comments directed at the obese. I've heard numerous guys poke fun at fat girls for being 'porkers' and 'fat tubs of shit'. And what about employment opportunities, or dating opportunities? Do you really believe that fat people don't suffer in the field of employment?

1. Not true. Whites and blacks do mingle. Many of my friends are black (although mostly Indians), and Asians. In fact, the minority of my friends are white. Perhaps this has to do with my conservative values.

2. I fail to see the relevance of the above, anyway. At the end of the day, the emotional harm done to an individual who suffers from slurs about their weight is just as great (if not more so) than racial slurs. At least today's society denounces looking down on particular races, so racial insults have no power or reinforcement whatsoever from society. However, fat people are regarded with contempt by society in general. Hence a slur about weight, carries more weight (heh, pun!).

Many girls have become anorexics because of such insults. How many blacks who have suffered racial slurs have attempted to change their skin colour? *

* Michael Jackson doesn't count... he changed his skin colour so that he would not look like his father. Not due to racial slurs.

Frankly, I'll just summarize all the above. I believe that an insult about someone's weight is just as hurtful, if not more so, than an insult about someone's race.