10 Most Important Events Of Human History

Discussion in 'History' started by Athena, Sep 8, 2005.

1. D'ster Registered Senior Member

Discovering our human diversity.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Fuck, same here man.

"lyk omg Christopher Columbus is sooo gr8 kidz!!1"

I swear, he's the only sea explorer that I was taught about. And not very well either. :bugeye:

You can definitely do the same thing with Hitler. That's what the Nazi regime did.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I'm not gonna restrict myself to ten. I'm gonna name all the really important events I can think of. Here's a bunch in chronological order (to the best of my knowledge):

:- The discoveries that the Earth is round, that it's not the center of the universe, and that it revolves around the sun
    :- The Renaissance
    :- The invention of the printing press
    :- The fall of monarchy in favor of representative democracy
    :- The Industrial Revolution
    :- The discovery and harnessing of electricity
    :- The discovery of evolution
    :- The Information Age
    :- The launch of Sputnik 1
    :- The creation of the Internet

Oh, haha. Whadaya know — ten exactly.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

The domestication of animals.
    The invention of hay
    Electricity
    Global communications
    Written language
    The fall of the Roman Empire

Hmm, can't think of anything else right now.

8. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

1. ancestors of man surviving the extinction of the dinosaur
    2. the wheel
    3. toolmaking
    4. killing our food without physically touching it
    5. Some of our ancestors getting out of Africa
    6. discovering the pleasures of sex
    7. questioning our place in the universe
    8. discovery of contraception
    9. reaping the spoils of war
    10. building things that go boom

9. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Chinese were the ones who discovered gunpowder, which moved to the middle east via trade, which then came to europe via more trade. Gunpowder was a very important discovery, that revolutionized warfare, industry, and commerce for centuries afterward.

10. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

That's been with us at least since organisms began reproducing sexually. I'm not sure when it began feeling good, but I'm guessing it's been a while.

11. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Who's talking about procreation. I enjoy sex a hell of a lot more when I'm pretty much convinced I'm not going to knock up my partner. My partner, feeling as confident as I, is more apt to enjoy it also.

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

How about forever? That's why organisms do it. Copulation has to feel good because if it didn't, an organism wouldn't be compelled to do it and its genes would not be passed down. Humans are the only animals who understand the relationship between intercourse and procreation and would do it even it didn't feel good.

13. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

This kind of revisionism pisses me off. If Leif Ericson "discovered" America long ago, but nothing came of it, who cares. The same goes for the Chinese guy that may/may not have discovered America. It's the follow up that counts.

Whatever Columbus set out to do, his voyage resulted in Europe becoming aware of America. A more straight forward way of saying "becoming aware of" is "discovering". So whether or not there were stone age people already in America, Columbus discovered it.

If the "Indians" had crossed the ocean first, they could rightly claim to have discovered Europe, or whatever they would have chosen to call it. But they didn't. We discovered them, not the other way around.

14. Silas asimovbot Registered Senior Member

Spot the logical fallacy here, anyone?

This is a list of everything about the human animal that, well, makes it special, or which has contributed to its dominance over the world. But if every single historical human event is less important than, well, the development of "opposable pinkies", then surely those developmental things actually aren't important after all? (Quick sidebar - that theory about pinkies is purest bunkum, as can be deduced by doing what Jaster says and picking up a cylindrical object without making use of the pinky finger. It's perfectly possible. The idea that the human pinky is distinctly more mobile and flextible than that of other primates is patently nonsensical).

I'm sure Jaster thinks he's being very Earth-conscious when thinking in almost entirely evolutionary terms when describing what is "important", but in fact he demonstrates a peculiarly human-centric view. It's simply one viewpoint to say "History isn't important, none of it could have happened if we didn't have thumbs." It's perfectly true that our history couldn't happen, but where does it leave you? If humanity wasn't humanity we wouldn't be here to discuss the question, but neither would there be anything to discuss. I do think that a question like that has to have the Human Race - pinkies, speech, bipedalism, social interaction and all - as a given. Apart from anything else, Jaster has promoted the humanoid lifeform as being the only possible repository for civilisation, and that, surely, is fallacious. It's the only possible repository for being human beings, and that is important... only because we are all human beings! We have those characteristics listed, but some other planet may have a dominant sapient species with totally different characteristics. It's certainly going to far to give special mention to elements that might well have had no effect on our sapience and domination, such as the lack of a mating season, or that we are social animals.

I think it's important to distinguish between distinct events that took humanity in a particular direction, and those things which were inevitable. The Discovery of America, for example, is of course of consuming interest to Americans - and consequently the whole world. But it was inevitable, and it just isn't likely to have happened before it did or after it did. The Discovery of America is not significant - the formation of the United States at the height of what has come to be known as the Enightenment, is.

15. Creeping Death Out of darkness came light Registered Senior Member

1- Sinking Of The Titanic
    2 -Atomic Bombs Dropped On Japan
    3- The Holocaust
    4- Rwanda Genocide
    5- Bosnian Massacre
    6- Attack On World Trade Centre
    7- Earthquake In Turkey
    8- Indonesian Tsunami
    9- Bird Flu Epidemic
    10- Police Arrest Me On Manslaughter Charges

16. Genji Registered Senior Member

Six of these are recent events. Not a history buff huh?

17. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

1. The discovery of fire
    2. The creation of spoken/writen language
    3. The creation of mathematics in ancient Greece
    4. The advances in mathematics in the midieval Ayyubid dynasty
    5. The renaissance
    6. The creation of atheism
    7. The birth of Samuel Beckett
    8. My birth
    9. The philosophical teaching of Jesus, the Christ
    10. The Odyssey being writen

18. makeshift Registered Senior Member

Remember, these should be events. Each event being unique in that they happened once. For example, WWI. That happened only once. Well, twice, but that was WW2 and a different event. Get my point? The discovery of fire didn't happen once. Same with the advent of written/spoken langauges.

Agrarian revolution?

19. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

You think that those ten things (excluding number 10 of course) are seriously the most important events in hundreds of thousands of years? Earthquake in fucking Turkey? Are you kidding?

20. nicholas1M7 Banned Banned

1. The Wheel
    2. The Ice Age
    3. Jesus Christ
    4. Electricity
    5. Moon landing
    6. Holocaust
    7. Industrial Revolution
    8. Evolution
    9. Relativity
    10. Information at the speed of sound

21. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Speed of light, don't you mean?

Information at the speed of sound would be me shouting at you that you're an idiot.

22. nicholas1M7 Banned Banned

Ever heard of radiowaves? Cumface.

23. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Those travel at the speed of light, buttfag.