0W-30 or 0W-40 oil

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by thinking, Feb 10, 2009.

1. thinking Banned Banned

to me they are , with out a doudt , the best engine oils avalible

any thoughts

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Depending upon the application as to what the oils are going to be used in and for. Always read the car manufacturers owner manual to find out the right type of oil your vehicle will need or you could cause damages. Never put an oil in your vehicle that isn't approved by the manufacturer.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. thinking Banned Banned

yet with 0W oils they protect your engine better than any other engine oil out there

why ?

because they give lubrication to the engine immediately

the W in oils , 5W-30 for instance , means that at a certain temperature ( -20C ) the oil will flow at a certain rate , while at running temperature of the engine , the viscosity ( the 30 ) remains the same

so a 0W-30 , means that at -20C has a superior flow to even 5W-30 , notice though that the running temperature viscosity remains the same , 30

and to add , pure synthetic oil is far and away better than any conventional oil , period

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

But it costs 3 times as much! Why pay so much when you change your oil every 3000 miles anyway? Breakdown of regular oils isn't that bad if you use your vehicle in a normal way. Until the price of synthetic comes down to the same as regular oil I won';t switch over . I've had cars with over 200,000 miles on them and they didn't show much wear at all when I had them rebuilt. As long as you change your oil and filter every 3000 miles or so you won't have any problems with regular oil and that's a fact that has been proved for many years now.

8. thinking Banned Banned

fair enough

why was it necessary to rebuild the engine though ?

true

the thing about synthetic engine oils is that the oil has no wax in it

it is the wax in the oil that makes an engine hard to start and slow to give lubrication to the engine in cold weather