0.9999... != 1?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by devire, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. devire Registered Member

this has been discussed an infinite amount of times, but i think i can show that .999.. does not equal 1.

1 - .999... = .000...1 = 1 / 1 * 10^(infinity) = 1 / infinity. now most people will say that 1 / infinity equals zero, but the constant 'e' is (1 + (1/infinity))^(infinity). if 1/infinity was really zero, then 'e' would be equal to one, but it of course isn't. so 1/infinity must have some non-zero value. and if it does, 1 != .999... since there is a non zero value between the 2 numbers.

am i missing something here?

edit: i typed in (1 - 1/1E80)^1E80 in my calculator and it gave me one, but does the function (1 - 1/x)^x really equal one as x approaches infinity?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Dear god, not this again. Maybe we need a sticky FAQ on the subject? The only thing more annoying than this is trying to convince people of the correct solution to the Monty Hall problem.
    .000...1 is self-contradictory. The "..." means that the number in front of it goes on forever. If you say ".000..." you are saying that the zeros go on forever - you can't do that and then stick a 1 at the end. That's like saying "the zeros never end, but when they end there is a one." It's meaningless, or at the very least badly self-contradictory.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

Yes. You're confusing
    \(\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \left( 1 + \frac{1}{x} \right)^{x}\)​
    with
    \(\lim_{y \rightarrow \infty} \left( 1 + \left ( \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{x} \right) \right)^{y}\)​
    They're not the same. The former is e, the latter equals 1.
    That's due to rounding errors. Most calculators can only store the first 8 to 15 significant figures of a number (depending on the machine), so they'll round \(1 + 10^{-80}\) (which requires 81 significant figures to store) down to 1. Then when you raise this to the power \(10^{80}\), of course you get 1.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  8. devire Registered Member

ok, actually i realize that, but i thought since (1 + 1/infinity)^infinity equals 'e', that .000...1 in some cases is not really zero.

9. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

You have to undertsand what a limit is. Do not every try to memorize the result of an expression involving infinity, like (1/infinity)^infinity.

10. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

I have a headache now. :bugeye:
    Thanks guys...:bugeye:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Hi devire,
    \((1 + {1 \over \infty})^\infty\) is undefined, just as \(0 \over 0\), \(\infty \over \infty\), and \(1 ^ \infty\) are undefined.

This expression, on the other hand:
    \(\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty } ( 1 + {1 \over n}) ^n\)
    is defined, and equal to e... but you can't just write it as \((1 + {1 \over \infty})^\infty\). That's sloppy and ambiguous.

12. devire Registered Member

i thought someone might say this. i do know there is a difference, but in the case of this function though, i would think they are the same since the graph has already passed one, and by it's nature won't just start to go back to one after it reaches a certain point.

i guess since it can never reach infinity in the first place means it doesn't matter if it will ever go back to one, and thus the expression is undefined? but if the expression is undefined, like 1/infinity on it's own is undefined, wouldn't that make 0.999... on it's own undefined as well, and thus not really equal to 1?

edit: how would 1 ^ (infinity) be undefined? i thought it was just 1. thanks.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

1 / infinity aproaches zero in infinity.

14. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

\(\frac{1}{\infty}\) is shorthand for \(\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{x}\), which equals zero.

\(\left( 1 + \frac{1}{\infty} \right)^{\infty}\) is more ambiguous. In general it would mean something along the lines of: "the limit of \(\left( 1 + \frac{1}{x} \right)^{y}\) as \(x\) and \(y\) tend to infinity". The problem here is that you get different results depending on how you calculate the limit. If \(x\) and \(y\) approach infinity together (with \(x = y\)), you get \(e\). If \(x\) approaches infinity first with \(y\) fixed, then \(y\) approaches infinity, you get 1.

15. devire Registered Member

oops. did u think i meant 1 divided by infinity? i actually meant 1 to the infinte power. i thought that would be 1.

16. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Seriously... delete this thread

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

.9999... is an impossible number.

Mass is made up of energy, which is finite.

18. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Yeah.
    After the post above this thread needs deleting.

19. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Try these:
    \(\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty } ( 1 + {1 \over n^2}) ^{(2^n)}\)
    \(\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty } ( 1 + {1 \over 2^n}) ^{(n^2)}\)

I don't know that 1/infinity is undefined... no matter what expression is used to reach infinity, 1/infinity will always equal zero.
    More formally:
    For all \(f(x)\) where: \(lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} f(x) = \infty\)
    \(lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} 1/f(x) = 0\)

This is a bit beyond my knowledge of maths theory, but I think of it like this:
    When you write \(\infty\) is a shorthand way of expressing a limit. There's no way of knowing exactly how that limit is approached.
    It might be not as easy to see that 1 can also be a shorthand way of expressing a limit... So similarly, there's no way of knowing in the given expression whether "1" means precisely 1, or if it means a limit, such as \(lim_{x \rightarrow 0} (1+x)\)

Similarly, \(0 \times \infty\) is undefined, and 0^0 is undefined.

I'm going a bit beyond my knowledge here. I could be mistaken.

20. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

0^0 = 1, I was taught. (@ Pete)

21. Nasor Valued Senior Member

0.999... is 1. Since 1 is a possible number, .999... is also a possible number...because they're the same number.

22. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

This is a mathematics problem. not a physics problem. Even then, we would rather talk about "1" then 0.999...

23. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.