“Sounds” of individual molecules captured

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by cosmictraveler, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Phys­i­cists say they’ve rec­orded ti­ny vibra­t­ions of in­di­vid­ual mol­e­cules, that could be called sounds—de­pend­ing on how you de­fine sound—and put them in au­di­ble form.

The re­sulting bell-like tones can be heard here..http://www.mpg.de/video/FilmundAudio-KdM.wmv. But the study went much fur­ther.

The vibra­t­ions in their orig­i­nal form, sci­en­tists said, are too fast and small to hear, but oth­er­wise fit the phys­i­cal de­scrip­tion of what makes a sound: they can pro­duce si­m­i­lar vibra­t­ions in neigh­bor­ing mol­e­cules, which do the same to their neigh­bors, and so forth, spread­ing the os­cilla­t­ions out­ward.

http://www.world-science.net/othernews/080206_molecule-sounds.htm

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

what with the **** ??

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I would guess you viewed his post initially after he'd "Cut/Pasted". It's possible that the Asterixes are a way to try and thwort articles being 'Stolen' through Cut/Paste. however as long as the article isn't reproduced in it's entirety and linked to it's root source for the most part we don't hear complaints.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

8. zarlok Banned Banned

That's interesting. Many people who practice deep meditation have had dreams/visions of the unverse before creation, where they describe what they believe is energy all around them making a humming sound. A simiilar sound religious people use when praying in many cultures. Amen is thought to come from this sound too, or should I say aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen?

9. Vkothii Banned Banned

"Tiny vibrations of molecules" are phonons. They're otherwise called "allowed states" (modes) of vibration.
    Someone managed to store a bit of light from a laser as a phonon, and read it back.

P.S. I remember someone has recorded the sound the Sun makes, or they've made the sound (energy) audible. It rings like a bell, too.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I've had a ringing in my head for many years now, mostly after I drink to much!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

are you sure its not that one tiny molecule inside your skull screaming out of boredom?

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Could very well be but I'm not certain there's only one.

13. Vkothii Banned Banned

I've noticed transient "ringing" type noises for as long as I can remember. Sometimes it doesn't happen for ages, then I get a rash of "pings" or "gong" type sounds. It's like hearing a sudden ringing or singing sound inside my ears.
    When I learned about the structure of the inner ear and the Eustachian and tear ducts, I thought that it was because of sudden pressure changes, or something.

It's like a sudden "on" signal, that dies away slowly, but quite loud at first. Sometimes this happens several times a day or even in an hour. Always had it, noises in my head.

P.S. It's never a rising or falling tone -the pitch doesn't change, only the amplitude and only a single "note". But it's all over the spectrum -sometimes near middle C maybe, sometimes quite high and every note in between, but it's not tuned to A=440Hz like a piano, or anything.

P.P.S. Maybe I should go ask for a tune-up? "They" might get a little more interested than I'd prefer though.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.