MacM

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by QuarkHead, Feb 15, 2010.

1. QuarkHead Remedial Math Student Valued Senior Member

I learned quite by accident today that MacM died 2 weeks ago. He was a long-time member of this forum, with whom many here had violent quarrels over relativity.

Nonetheless, I doubt even his fiercest critics would have wished him dead.

Sad news, and in a curious sense, a loss to this forum (and, it seems, to other fora)

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

I'm sorry to hear this. I knew he had been battling cancer for quite some time. I wish his family only the best in these hard times to come.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

That is very sad news indeed. He had informed us back in June of last year that he did have Stage 4 Lung Cancer. I liked his tenacity and sarcasm. He will be missed.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

My condolences to his family.

Despite our fierce and sometimes heated disagreements, I must admit I had a soft spot for MacM.

8. Was he a scientist because if so I wonder if he died of natural old age or if science (specifically relativity) drove him to suicide like in the movie Pi: Faith in Chaos.
    I'm sorry to hear about it.

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so sad.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thanks for letting us know

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

science man: read the thread.

11. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

May what ever his next reality be may it be a good one and he reach it swiftly.

12. omg I'm so sorry. I didn't read the second post before.

13. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

am sorry to hear that, definitely a considerable and unique loss to sciforums.. i totally got lost with his clocks A and B, but i still read his thread with great interest... a fighting soul to the end..

14. kira Valued Senior Member

I would like to express my condolences to his family and friends, may he rests in peace.

15. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I'll pour a "40" of quarks on the curb in his honor. RIP.

16. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

If his posts here at Sciforums reflefcted his personality... he was no dout a quality guy who was kickin-azz till the end.!!!

~Tim

17. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Me too on both, but I more than had a "soft spot" for MacM - I really liked him. Fortunately, I said so in several post he read. MacM was stubborn in defense of his POV and quite skilled in his arguments for it. I never could get him to accept some aspect of relativity via the cosmic ray data - he could invent another way to view that data. In general MacM was exceptionally creative. What Sciforms needs in the way of a non-standard point of views (Yes in relativity MacM was a crackpot - I called him that in some posts and noted that I was proud to be one too, when it came to the accepted theories of perception.)

I tried hard and with the help of several others to prove his theory of gravitation wrong - but we completely failed. I still don't accept it, but he could be right. It does automatically provide an alternative to dark energy postulate, if there is more volume of space near our part of the universe that what we call the distant parts.

Does anyone know what happened (is happening) to his company? He had a lot of inventions. I really miss MacM. I greatly enjoyed argueing with him - few were his equal. There are tears in my eyes as I write and I seldom cry. RIP MacM.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2010
  18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thanks for letting us know.