Aging II: Brooke Greenberg

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Michael, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Brooke Greenberg the only person alive with Syndrome X - aka, she's doesn't seem to be aging. Well, at least not normally.

She's a 17 year old girl who has only aged to a little over 1 year. Although it's anyone's guess, one physician guessed she'd live to be 200.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

A 1 in 8 billion child.

I wonder if we'll see an end to aging in our lifetimes?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Fascinating!

Aging is cased by many things so i doubt this little girl is the key to aging but she could be a major insight. I would guess and this is a uneducated guess from a biochemist that works on nothing larger then a single cell eukaryotes that this girls telemere lengths might be unbelievably long, that her telemerase lives might be very high or she produces a mutant telemerase that ungodly effective. but I would put good bet that the case of her deformed aging rates is due to something not seen before, something that could help greatly in learning a lot more about human aging and development.

Here is a powerpoint report on her:
    http://www.rwalkerphd.com/BrookeGreenbergCaseStudy11-12-06.pdf

(edit: after reading that report my theory was wrong, her telomere lengths are actually shorter then normal and her telemerase activity is actually lower then normal)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Nice PowerPoint summery. What an amazing condition.

Sciences are ungodly competitive and the work that's being done each year on end is mind boggling. I'm looking forward to the advancements that are made over the next decade.

Cool stuff

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.