Integration problem

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by neelakash, Jan 17, 2010.

1. neelakash Registered Senior Member

I have to evaluate the numerical value of the derivative of the following integral for x=1

\(\int_{0}^{\ ln\ x}\ e^{\ -\ x\ (\ t^2\ -\ 2)}\ dt\)

The formula for differentitation under integral sign.

The upper limit term is straightforward:it is

\(\frac{\ 1}{\ x}\ e^{\ -\ x[\ (\ ln\ x)^{\ 2}\ -\ 2]}\)

The other part is

\(\int_0^{\ ln\ x}\frac{\partial}{\partial\ x}\ e^{\ -\ x(\ t^2\ -2)}\ dt\ =\ -\ e^{\ -\ 2\ x}\ [\int_0^{\ ln\ x}\ t^2\ e^{\ -\ x\ t^2}\ dt\ -\ 2\int_0^{\ ln\ x}\ e^{\ -\ x\ t^2}\ dt\ ]\)

The later can be evaluated and I got the following:

\(\ -\ e^{\ -\ 2\ x}\ [\frac{\ -(\ ln\ x)\ e^{\ -\ x(\ ln\ x)^2}}{\ 2\ x}\ +\int_0^{\ x(\ ln\ x)^2}\frac{\ e^{\ -\ u}}{4x\sqrt{ux}}\ du\ -\int_0^{\ x(\ ln\ x)^2}\frac{\ e^{\ -\ u}}{\sqrt{ux}}\ du}]\)

I found the result as above.However,the two integrals neither cancel with each other nor can be evaluated.Can anyone please check and tell what should be done further.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

Three comments:

Firstly, you have a sign error.
    \(e^{-x (t^2-2)} = e^{2x}\,e^{-xt^2}\)
    You have that first factor as \(e^{-2x}\)

Secondly: Those integrals most certainly can be calculated in terms of the error function, erf(x):

\(\text{erf}(x) \equiv \frac 2 {\sqrt{\pi}} \int_0^xe^{t^2}dt\)

Thirdly, I suspect you'll do a face-palm on this.
    You don't need *any* of the above. What is the definite integral of any smooth function from 0 to ln(1)?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CptBork Valued Senior Member

So if I understand correctly, you want to differentiate your integral expression with respect to \(x\), and then substitute in the value \(x=1\). That should be very easy to do just by using the Fundamental theorem of calculus, i.e.

\(\frac{d}{dx}\int_a^x f(t)dt=f(x)\), where \(a\) is some arbitrary constant.

In this case the only extra step is to use:

\(\frac{d}{dx}=\frac{d}{d(lnx)}\frac{d(lnx)}{dx}= \frac{1}{x}\frac{d}{d(lnx)}\)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Oh, SNAP! :bravo:

Edit:
    Oh, yeah. The derivative. What CptBork said.

8. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Oh crap, I just realized it's not as simple as I thought, because you have \(x\) inside the integral as well as in the integration limits. I'll think about this one a little. And it looks like you already used the Fundamental Theorem, so my apologies. I think what DH said is actually correct.

9. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

neeklash did use the appropriate technique for differentiating under the integral sign, the Leibniz Integral Rule:

\(\frac{d}{dx}\int_{a(x)}^{b(x)} f(t,x)\,dt = \int_{a(x)}^{b(x)} \frac{\partial} {\partial x} f(t,x)\,dt + f(b(x),x)\frac{db(x)}{dx} - f(a(x),x)\frac{da(x)}{dx}\)

10. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I was just going over it, you're totally right. Simple solution exactly as you pointed out.

11. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

In this particular problem,

\(f(t,x) = \exp\left(-x(t^2-2)\right),\quad a(x)=0, \quad b(x)=\ln x\)

The partial derivative of f(t,x) wrt x is

\(\frac{\partial}{\partial x}f(t,x) = -(t^2-2) \exp\left(-x(t^2-2)\right)\)

Applying the Leibniz Integral Rule,

\(\frac{d}{dx}\left(\int_0^{\ln x} \exp\left(-x(t^2-2)\right)\,dt\right) = -\left(\int_0^{\ln x} (t^2-2) \exp\left(-x\bigl(t^2-2)\right) \,dt\right) + \exp\left(-x(\ln^2x-2)\right)/x\)

Now just evaluate at x=1. It's a snap.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  12. neelakash Registered Senior Member

Hello friends,I could not be online last night;so apologies for not sending a reply.

Yes,I made a typo in the sign of the exponential.

But I cannot convince myself that the integral of the continuous between 0 and ln(1) should be zero or something...rather it looks correct to first evaluate the indefinite integral,then putting the limits and then,substitute x=1.

13. neelakash Registered Senior Member

OK,now I think I see the crux of the matter:

whatever the indefinite integral is,the resulting form will be

\(\ [\ f(\ t,\ x)\ ]_{\ t\ =0}^{t\ =\ ln\ x}\) at x=1

After putting t= ln x in the indefinite integral inside the square bracket and then letting x=1 is equivalent to replace x (inside the indefinite integral) by one and letting the upper limit be ln(1)

Thus,the form becomes

\(\ [\ ...\ ]_0^{ln(1)}\ =\ [\ ...\ ]_0^0\ =0\) as the upper and lower limits are the same.OK?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  14. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

Exactly.

15. neelakash Registered Senior Member

Yes...thank you for your help...In the mean time,I tried with the suggestion of rasmhop in physicsforums;but that reduced to this case only,as it should be.