SciForums Is Private Property, Information Is Alterable etc.

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by sniffy, Oct 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sniffy Banned Banned

Off-topic posts from "Using big words".

If this is true they should all be relieved of their duties.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2009
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sniffy Banned Banned

Er one raven seen this ^^^^^

Votes can be altered by the moderators? Now I know this here is no democracy but still.....it does make rather a mockery of any issue members are asked to vote upon if you can't trust the result.

Laughable isn't it?

Just ask Al.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. superstring01 Moderator

What?

We're moderators. Our job and responsibility is to have access to the data of a specific thread. Having the ability to alter said data is part-and-parcel with this responsibility.

Yeah, I mean, I guess it's possible for us to alter votes, but why the hell would we? You make it sound like the things that are voted on here are of such importance that we would even bother. More likely we'd just delete the thread, close it or. . . shit. . . just ignore it. Most of us have lives and bigger fish to fry.

~String

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sniffy Banned Banned

It really is amazing what happens when you scratch the surface here.

Altering data is a quite a responsibility. In my country we call this sort of thing fraud. Funnily enough when the plebs do it they get thrown into jail forthwith. When somebody with a little more power does it the government bails them out!

Nice to know where you guys stand on the altering data front though.

We should all just go and ignore it.

Thanks for that.

Smell of scales burning......

8. superstring01 Moderator

It's a website that consists of ones and zeros. What did you expect, the stuff to be chiseled into stone?

One: It's only fraud if it's actually done (which you'd need to prove). Two: this place is a private, dictatorial, forum, which you have to seek out and join. It's not a democracy nor a public place. The terms an conditions are named, at length. Did you read them? Three: It's not fraud if it's not advertised as being "truthful" or permanent. There is no such assertion here on our part. This place is for casual enjoyment. This does not make Sciforums un-important, but don't be crazy enough to think that we are bound to conform to your worldview on this matter. Don't be surprised, either, if we don't.

So, you're angry about something in real life and are. . . annoyed that it can happen here? Even though there is no evidence that it has happened? Again, we aren't taking your money or providing a public service. It's a forum for posting messages and having conversation. There is no promise of permanence, truth, openness, privacy or freedom.

Getting annoyed about what goes on here, is like joining a private club and getting annoyed because they change the uniform, rules, wall-paper after you join. Being here (being there) is an option. If you find it so terrible, well. . . you know your options.

Did you really fool yourself into believing that the owners and operators of this forum didn't reserve the right to alter the data and content of the forum? It's a website that consists of information written on a hard-disk drive somewhere in the industrialized world. With a few key-strokes the entire website can be deleted.

Besides, the site policy on "altering" posts is: don't do it without good reason or risk losing your mod privileges. Every change is stored in archive, so if I screw with a poll results for no reason, then that fact can be accessed and viewed. Eventually a mod will be questioned as to this behavior and censured or even demoted.

~String

9. sniffy Banned Banned

10. superstring01 Moderator

My--and our--expectations are high. That's why we don't alter poll questions/answer except upon request or for very good reasons.

Be my guest. But on what grounds would you sue Sciforums?

No. It is clearly defined as private, for members only. For this reason, we can ban anybody, for any reason, at any time. Not that we do. But, should the desire arise, the option is available. The information is totally private as well. It can be altered, deleted and shared as the owners (who are not me, by the way) see fit.

Assumptions have a way of doing that. But, I'm not making them. I'm just sharing information with you. You, however, are the one getting upset and killing the messenger.

No. People should question all institutions. Even Sciforums. It would be crazy, however, to expend energy on Sciforums where there are undoubtedly places of serious concern that would warrant such attention.

Who ever said it wasn't truthful? I merely said that this website is not legally obligated to post the truth. You can question it to your heart's content.

We have terms and conditions which express this fact. Beyond that, I guess we just expect that most people would be aware that a website can be deleted and altered at will.

Well, now you know. This should make your time here easier.

WaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaH! I want my mommy!

Seriously dude. Take a chill pill.

I never said you shouldn't take it seriously, or that we don't take it seriously. Just that you don't have the right to expect that this website NEVER alter posts and content. It's private property. If this is too much for you to handle, then don't post. People come and go all the time.

I'm not saying you aren't important to somebody, somewhere (or that you aren't important to us), just that this is a private community. Don't operate under the impression that it isn't operated as such.

Then you should read the fine-print a bit more. Save yourself all this upset.

You're disgusted that the operators of a privately owned website have the ability to alter the data content of that website? Uh. What planet are you living on?

No. You totally have the right to complain. You're doing a fantastic job of that right now, to no ill effect. But, should Enmos, James, Plazma or Stryder feel the need to do so, your post can be altered or deleted. I doubt they will though, so don't fret.

Yet you seem to have done a fantastic of doing just that!

If it were mis-worded, contained hate speech, fowl language, didn't make sense or upon the request of the poll-creator. I alter them all the time to give extra options. More often than not the poll-creator will leave out a logical option which I will add at a later time. I once had to reset the answer to "zero" (basically starting it over) to allow people to re-answer the poll with a preferred answer.

Though, sometimes I just mess it up to totally abuse my authority and drive people like you crazy! Mua-ha-ha-haaaaaaa.

~String

11. sniffy Banned Banned

When you alter a poll is that fact made public to the members? Or at least to the members who have voted in it?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Membership is private but the forum is in a public domain called, have you heard of it, the internet?

Well you are assuming something. That you don't even realise what you are assuming well....

I don't think it is common knowledge that poll results can be altered.
    Why bother having polls at all? Why bother having site polls that members can vote in? Why bother expecting anything at all of the moderators or administrators here? Why bother with moderators at all??????Not that I do but still, the principle....

You've banned people for less.

Even sciforums, that's funny!

Again you assume rather a lot. And imply a lot more.

You see.

You have a habit of beating up so called woo woos here. Some of you set yourselves up as AUTHORITIES on something when, really, you bullshit as much as the woowoos and then you go and say tampering with data is something to be ignored, celebrated, even laughed about. Hypocrisy. Have you heard of it?

It sets the site 'sciforums' up as something to laugh at which is fine because that's all it is. But you have such a hard time admitting it.

Anyway, if you are going to tamper with data I'm going to say cunt. A lot.

LOL.

Better not come down so hard on those godbotherers then, eh?

Should it? Will it make my previous 5 years here easier as well?

Swallowed. Hook. Line. And sinker.

LOL! I have never taken it seriously. You lot on the other hand seem to.

Private websites cannot be viewed by members of the public. If you don't wanna be public make it private. You can't have your cake and eat it.

Maybe you should too.

The one where data cannot be trusted.

I thought I didn't have any rights? This being a private website and all..? Now see I'm all confused!!

BTW I know that posts can be altered but that isn't the issue is it? At least it wasn't until you tried to back pedal and make it into one.

Don't worry I'm not fretting.

Abusing authority is common. It usually starts right after authority has been granted. Wield away. Looks like you enjoy it.

12. superstring01 Moderator

Not necessarily. I make it known that I add an option or whatnot. It's up to the admin/moderator to do so.

No duh, brainiac. But just because it's accessible by the internet doesn't make it public, anymore than my Aunt's Maggies private restaurant is a "public" place because it's accessible by the street or sidewalk. It's still a private place. Look up the definition of the term. This place is private because it is owned by a specific individual, despite the fact that many people from the public can access it. It's private property. The information contained therein is private and can be altered or deleted at the discretion of the owners.

Did you SERIOUSLY doubt this fact?

You mean that you didn't know that the information on this website can be altered and deleted at the discretion of the owners/operators? Well, then that's your problem. Maybe--here we go again--you should have read the TERMS AND CONDITIONS. That's like, the fourth time I've mentioned them. You had to "check" a box stating that you read them before joining. If you chose not to, then that's on you. I did, and I understood them.

Because the members may want to ask questions and come up with a reasonably statistical answer as to what the membership here thinks.

See: above answer.

In addition, having the ability to alter them does not mean that we do, or even care enough to do so.

It would be kind of troublesome to manage the webiste without them. Besides, how could we drive sensitive members like you to a palsy without them!?

I have? We have?

Care to back that up with something resembling a fact?

Only the ones who making a laughing stock of themselves over. . . nothing.

Duh. It's a PRIVATE website. Owned by a PRIVATE person. This website is the SOLE domain of Plazma Inferno! He operates it. It's his personal feif. He can delete the entire forum/web page with a stroke of a key. Everything here is his property to do with as he pleases.

See, that's how the internet operates. You can create your VERY OWN website and have the same level of control all to yourself here. A good place to start is here.

Webster defines hypocrisy as: a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not; especially : the false assumption of an appearance of virtue or religion. Since this website, states up front, what it is and is not, there is no hypocrisy. It's private property. Post in it all you want, but when you do, you lose the right to the information.

Again, did you HONESTLY think that your information was in-alterable, un-deletable?

I have no trouble admitting it. I clearly said that this website is just for enjoyment and moderate information exchange. You should not over-invest yourself in ANYTHING online as there is a big, real world out there beyond your doorway. You can access it--and the people in it--by simply shutting off the computer and going out there to meet them.

Go ahead. I love that word. You won't see me change it.

I said that this website is not. You are, when reasonably confronted to do so. Don't like it? Well. . . go somewhere else and play.

Well, maybe:
    • you should get a life.
    • you should have read the terms and conditions on day one to avoid all this heart-ache.
    • you should realize that we don't actually run around altering the information as Plazma doesn't like that.

Wait. . . who's throwing a temper tantrum about a website being. . . well. . . a website and being alterable/deletable at the will of the admins. Do you understand how information is written on hard drives and can be shut down and deleted?

Incorrect. Again, some reading is owed on your part.

It is a private website that is accessible by the public. Being accessible to the general public doesn't make it "public property" or the information contained therein public. The information is owned, totally by Sciforums and Plazma (or his boss) entirely. It can be deleted and altered at their discretion.

Because. . . ? Why? Do you see me throwing a fit about everything I've posted being deletable or alterable? No. I know full well that one day this place will be shut down and every last one & zero it contains will be lost to the obscurity of the ages. Everything is temporary. I'm here to make some friends, learn a few things and enjoy myself.

Good! Now you know the folly of trusting what you see on the internet too much.

Libraries are a good place to start for reliable information. The print media contained therein is reasonably accurate and trustworthy.

You have the right to do what the administration permits. Go beyond that, and well, you could well join the ranks of those who go away (and sometimes come back as somebody else).

HEY! You caught on! Congratulations!

You've demonstrated that for about five posts now.

Back pedal? It's been the point since post 115 (the beginning of this conversation). I'll quote it for you:

So, "back pedaling" is not necessary on my part, since I established this point at the outset of this conversation.

Well your word count in this debate is up to about 743, which would seem to indicate otherwise. For references, see your previous posts and all the emotional upset over, what should be, a blatantly obvious fact.

So. . . let me get this straight, you are upset about the fact that the admins/moderators on a privately owned forum have the ability to alter the data in the management process of that forum?

Note: I do enjoy my job, otherwise I'd quit and do something else.

~String

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.