SciForums Is Private Property, Infomration Is Alterable & Deletabl

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by superstring01, Oct 21, 2009.

1. superstring01 Moderator

SciForums Is Private Property, Infomration Is Alterable & Deletable

Here you go Enmos. You can now move the offending threads to this forum.

~String

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Perfect, can you delete all of my past posts?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

Can you delete all of tnerB's future posts?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superstring01 Moderator

Really? No. Plazma, James or Stryder can. But, I doubt they will.

Look, I know it's harsh, but some people are operating under the impression that this is a government-like entity with a bill of rights and all that. It's not. It's not a democracy or a republic. It's a dictatorship.

Plazma has chosen not to operate it as a tyranny, but the rub is: he can chose to change that if he wants. . . which sort of makes it still a tyranny!

Member feedback and participation is key to the way he wants to run this forum. There is a larger purpose to this place than just running it as a personal, online fief. But it's important to know that this website is still private property and can be deleted and altered with the stroke of a key.

It's equally important to understand that one day, in the future, this website will go offline. Everything in the universe is temporary. Sciforums included.

~String

8. sniffy Banned Banned

Moderators can alter polls results.

Is this of concern to anyone at all?

Anyone?

9. sniffy Banned Banned

Maybe we should just vote on it.

10. CheskiChips Banned Banned

I'm scared.

11. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

You mean like add or subtract extra votes? I'd rather they not do that (and I have no reason to believe that they have), but it's not like we're electing presidents here. The last time anyone posted an important poll was in my Zombieland thread.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I think, at the very least, if a mod makes a change to any poll or results, that should be explicitly and clearly stated in the thread.
    I also think that the only valid changes are a specific request from someone who wants to change their vote or a complete wipe.
    As I said in teh other thread, if a mod changes a poll from anonymous to public, all votes should be wiped clean first.
    AND a mod should NEVER reveal what someone voted in an anonymous poll.

13. superstring01 Moderator

We don't have that ability. An admin like Plazma or James might. Mods don't.

~String

14. sniffy Banned Banned

Well we know that nothing here is of any actual importance but still. I thought there were one or two here with some principles who might be willing to stand up for them. At least one of the moderators has proven in the very way he has tackled the issue raised here, for instance, that he's lacking in this area. I've called him out on it and here we are.

15. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

Don't get me wrong, I'd be irritated if I found out that polls were being tampered with. It's wrong, just on principle. But it's not something I lose sleep over, though.

16. superstring01 Moderator

Who said it wasn't important. You should, however, have some perspective.

Sure. I'm one of them. I don't alter anybody's posts without notifying the thread as to why or upon request.

All of the current mods operate under that philosophy.

Having a power doesn't mean that it is automatically abused.

Who did you call out? Me?

I never said that I altered posts (well, except as a joke).

The problem here is you, your ill temper and your inability to accept the fact that ALL mods have this ability.

I'm the only one stating that fact.

Tell me, if I'm so abusive, what posts of yours have I altered?

~String

17. sniffy Banned Banned

Do you think I do?

18. superstring01 Moderator

You've thrown temper tantrums in two threads now. One in which you asked to be banned.

So, yes. I do.

~String

19. sniffy Banned Banned

As I recall you did. That was just before you backpedalled. Hard. Having let a little something slip that you ought not to have perhaps.

On and on and on and on.....

Sometimes I have an eye for detail. I picked up on it this time.

You have been blathering on for hours about how I should this and that with posts and what not. You see I didn't ever mention altering posts. All I mentioned was polls. I even mentioned that I'd been around a while and knew very well the score in regard to altering posts. But still you prattled on. Anyway. Lemme spell it for you.....

POLLS

See the difference between the two? Moderator dear.

Not automatically no. Not absolutely.

But still I think it is just fine and dandy to point out something that isn't public knowledge on a private website without having to sit through a condescending pile of bullcrap. Don't you? Even if the website cannot guarantee truth, honesty, privacy and whatever else you did declare at the time.

Yes you. Don't worry I won't take you seriously.

Ah this is the problem here is it? Me. My ill temper. Or your inability to read what a poster is saying before going in with your guns blazing....?

Don't worry, I don't expect a serious answer.

20. sniffy Banned Banned

One thread after provocation in private and in private as this isn't a public site.

Not the one in question here so why did you bring THAT up?

21. sniffy Banned Banned

Oh I see. All the posts have been deleted so now it's just your word against mine.

Very good.

:bravo:

22. superstring01 Moderator

Where did I backpedal? Care to name the specific post?

Yet to be demonstrated.

Polls are part of posts. Should I make it a larger font size for you? Are you this dense. Mods have the ability to alter ANY post, including polls.

They are, realistically speaking, the same thing for us. It's all data that can be altered. Get it?

Well, I recommend reading the terms and conditions next time you sign up for a forum. It'll relieve all this stress you're going through.

And yet, here you are. Still carrying on. About the fact that information on a privately owned website can be altered. POLLS included (see, I typed it in all caps for you).

"Guns blazing" would mean that I just banned you. But I didn't. I'm debating you. That's what we do here. Is that okay, or will you continue to cry like a little girl?

See, I stated in the original point I made that this website is information, any part of that information can be altered whenever the admins feel like it. This includes everything you type, your name, your statistics. Everything.

But you've been given serious answers. You just haven't liked them. Have thrown temper tantrums. Have pleaded to be banned. Have lost yourself in something that is really inconsequential because, well, your posts have not been altered. But, hey, have at it. I'm enjoying myself.

~String

23. superstring01 Moderator

It's bears on your behavior, personality and ill tempered posting. You don't become someone else just because you cross into another subforum.

I don't have mod abilities on in this sub-forum or in the Free Thoughts forum. So, if it was altered, it was by somebody else.

I only have mod abilities in: Formal Debates, About The Members, Health & Fitness, World Events, Politics.

You can access this information here: http://www.sciforums.com/showgroups.php

~String