15 yr old girl, beat up by cop?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Liebling, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl67FmVRjYs
    ^^ Video is an important part of the post.

Apparently, she was being "lippy"... So he slams her into the walls and into the floor and then punches her twice while she's on the ground?? Wait, what?

And this police officer is on paid administrative leave. Watch the video, it's from the newscast.

After the incident, the girl asked for medical help, but they wouldn't take her to the hospital and made the paramedics come in and treat her in a seperate obscured office.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

That piece of shit.

I want to cut his hand off and rape him in public with his own severed hand.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

I'd bet it happens more often off camera. They always seem a little heavy handed, but they have power and therefore carte blanche to do "whatever it takes".

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

First, I want to know why she was put into jail to start with to understand what she did to lead up to her being arrested to begin with. There might have been trouble she had already started long before this happened. No, it isn't right for any police officer to do what he did to her but what did she do before we saw her get hit? I also noticed she was walking on her own when she was taken out of the cell. Let's find out more about her being arrested as well as looking into the mistreatment as well. What if she was a drunk driver that just killed 4 people in a wreck she caused? Or perhaps did some other terrible thing that made the cops very angry at her to cause this beating. Again, the cops were wrong for doing this but what about her, I would like to know allot more .

8. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

Police officer is a real winner. I'm still looking at info on what she did to get there.

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

ummm first off (and i havent seen this im just making a GENERAL comment) paramedics ARE NOT strecher bearers. what i mean by this is its not there job to run in, throw a pt on a bed and go screaming back to a hospital. Its there job to acess the pt and start treatment on sceen BEFORE moving the pt anywhere. Transport lights and sirens is ONLY a last resort and a good percentage of pts are never taken to hospital, they are treated on sceen and if the pt (hopefully with the advice of the paramedics but in the end its up to the pt) doesnt want to be transported, they wont be. This can most often be seen after fights, car crashes and hypoglycemic events (low blood sugar for a diabetic but could be anyone really).

Now i dont mean this to sugest that this was the right course of action in this case or even that it was what happened but it is a possability

10. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

Suspicion of auto theft activity in accordance with an ongoing investigation... She wasn't caught doing anything, just suspected of possibly being involved in stealing a car. Not a car jacking, not a crime, just suspicion of a crime...

11. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

It is never ok to beat the shit out of someone half your size then throw her around by her hair. I don't care what she did.

12. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

This whole event is absurd... No way is there justification for the behavior shown by our "protectors". Just another example of Cops gone wild.

13. justwonderingjoe Gosh,the weather is nice today Registered Senior Member

Being ANGRY doesn't give license to beat the crap out of a teen. Heck, if that was the case my teenagers would be constantly beat up, by me.
    No, this cop got his "pride" hurt and went off! Not the kind of public servant I want out there to protect and serve with my taxpayers dollars. I hope he is off the force.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Absolutely.

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

What if she murdered your best friend?

16. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

Police officers are trained to keep cool under that kind of pressure. I know, because I was one in the military, and spent some of my college years studying to be one.

She was clearly outnumbered, and a man twice her size who already has he subdued and on the ground should never ever punch a suspect when they are on the ground face down no matter what the circumstances. That is drilled in to your head repeately during academy. Doesn't matter what she did, the police are NOT there to dole out justice for perpetrators, they are there only to serve and protect. This girl was clearly not a danger to her or the officers, even if she was "lipping" off. You do not slam someone half your size who you clearly have the upper hand on face first into a wall, and then repeatedly sock them while you have them subdued and in custody. It's illegal to ever hit a suspect in custody. The police officer should have kept his ego in check and closed the door to let a CHILD calm down before going any further.

It is not okay, no matter what she did. Once you have them in custody, you are only allowed to use force IF you are in danger. Clearly, that was not the case here at all. Unless the poor little guy was someone ascared of this big bad teenage girl who didn't have her parents or lawyer with her.

Even if she murdered your best friend. Doesn't matter what she did, this cop was out of control, and out of his mind. And he broke the law, and abused a child. It's very clear in that video what was going on.

Please tell me that you don't believe she should have been beaten like that if she murdered someone. She was clearly already detained, outnumbered, had no weapon, and was on the ground subdued when he repeatedly punched her and then lifted her up off the floor BY HER HAIR.

17. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

An officer's job is to protect and serve the people - not fight for their own definition of justice. If she murdered my best friend then it should be me who beats the shit out of her (assuming justice wasn't done), not the police.

18. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

You beat me to it Liebling!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

and if thats proven then he will lose his job AND be charged with agravated assult on top of that. The police are not immune from procution you know

20. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

Well, it seems that his department has covered for him several times including for a DUI while on duty, and shooting a guy who was unarmed and mentally ill, and they knew he was unarmed and mentally ill.

I wish cops were not immune from prosecution, but other cops do lie for them. It's been happening for ages. The good ole boy network is still alive and well even in progressive towns like Seattle. Hell, it's practically an American institution.

The reason why I am not a police officer now is because there is a very thin line you walk as a police officer between policeman and criminal, and all that power does corrupt a lot of officers. I saw it happen to people I had a lot of respect for, and I got disenfranchised very quickly. Even the good cops will lie for each other most of the time because if they don't, they are seen as an outsider and untrustworthy. That's why you hear so many stories after a police officer retires or passes on of all the stuff that went on that they aren't so proud of. There are some really great cops out there that are on the up and up, and are outstanding citizens and great protectors, but it's a 50/50 thing and this guy was clearly not in his right mind.

21. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

this is why australia has statitory bodies like the OPI (office of police integrity) and the DPP WILL procute police officers who are corupt. Even before the OPI existed this was the case, my parents were reasonably close friends with a police officer who was in the homicide squad and went on to be incharge of the major crash squad. However when he was in homicide he and 7 (i think) other officers were set up for a murder commited by members of the narcotics squad (i was quite young so i may not get the details right). He went on trial and was found not guilty in the end because he was innocent but the actual perpertrators were convicted. The state goverments, the DPP and the police brass themselves all have no tolerance for corupt officers

22. swarm Registered Senior Member

I'd give her a lollipop.

23. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

We have the same thing in the USA, Asguard, but even in the wonderous land of Aussies, one has to catch the bad guys before they can be indicted and brought to trial. Or don't you believe in due process? Or do you believe in the process we have here at SciForums ...conviction by YouTube or simple accusation?

Baron Max