confused about time travel

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by DNA100, Jan 28, 2009.

1. DNA100 Registered Senior Member

Now, i want to ask this question and like to see what other people think about this.

in sci-fi stories you often encounter situations like this:you enter some kind of time machine and zip you are in 16th century.but it doesn't at all look to me that you actually time-travelled.if you ask me-what exactly travelled back in time is the world,not you!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

let us analyze the 3 popular ways to time-travel:

faster than light travel:in this case surely it's your molecules that is travelling back in time,so you can never get back to
    16th century,like on tv.

worm-holes:not sure what exactly happens

parallel universes:this is not exactly time-travel as you are travelling to a copy of the actual 16th century world

like to have your views please.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

This should be posted elsewhere I'd think because time travel is science fiction not science fact.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DNA100 Registered Senior Member

i don't know about that,since time treavel is regularly discussed among scientists-specially physicists and cosmologists.especially since many mathematical equations in theoretical physics suggests about time-travel.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It may be discussed but there's no actual proof that it can be done, therefor it is science fiction and theories only.

8. DNA100 Registered Senior Member

at a quantum-level,i heard that time-travel is regular!besides there are all kinds of threads here -such as faster than speed of light and quantumcomputers and what not!

9. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

There are various ideas about what time is, and about the reality of things "past" and "future". See Presentism and Eternalism.

A wormhole has two mouths. Each mouth is a sphere. If you go into one mouth, you could come out the other.
    Inside the wormhole would be pretty freaky... if you look sideways (ie not at either mouth), you will see the back of your head. And again beyond that. And again...
    And these are not just images - if you throw a rock at what you see, you could hit yourself from behind!

Now, the two mouths of the wormhole must initially begin in the same time and place. But, if the mouths could be manipulated separately, then you could shoot one mouth off to Mars while you keep one here. That means you could get to Mars and back just by stepping through your wormhole.

And even more... if you shoot one mouth off to zip around through space at high speed for a while then bring it back, it won't have aged as much as the other mouth. The two mouths will be separated not only in space, but also in time. So, you could step into one mouth, and come out of the other one yesterday!

For a better explanation and much more, try borrowing Kip Thorne's book, Black Holes and Time Warps from a library.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Pete , have worm holes been located as yet?

11. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

No. They are postulated to exist on ridiculously tiny scales, much smaller than can be probed.

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

All I know for sure is that we can look into the past.

13. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Time travel is impossible. It isn't worth dwelling on.

The events of the past are not still occurring for us to travel back to. Time is just a measurement of change, not a spatial dimension we can navigate. There are no such things as wormholes.

Enmos is correct that we could "look" into the past, but that is because the light that reflected off the past is still rebounding into outer-space. If FTL travel was possible, we could overtake it and with an impossibly powerful telescope, watch Napoleon get his ass kicked. (But only barring cloud cover and only if FTL and such a telescope were also possible, which they aren't).

14. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

You asked of what others think and mentioned one method of time travel being "faster than time travel". The phenomenon is referred to as the effect of time dilation.

Ideas of time travel being related to the different rate of aging via time dilation are misunderstood by many. The error is in thinking that time passes at a different rate in different gravitational fields (or in reference frames that are accelerating at different rates).

What happens is when you accelerate an object or person, you slow the function of the matter that the object or person is composed of. How does acceleration slow the functioning of particles? Energy density. Particles are composed of energy. An accelerated object has greater energy density. It can be said that relatively speaking, an object at rest is better lubricated by the lower energy density relative to the same object in a stronger gravitation field, i.e. being accelerated.

To put it differently, the particles of an object in a strong gravitational field are being accelerated at higher speed and so their particles will physically move slower within their mass.

The net result is that if you start with two people in the same reference frame, accelerate one person on a long circular journey at near the speed of light, and bring them back together, the accelerated person will have aged more slowly. This gives the illusion that a different amount of time has passed for each individual. Actually, the same amount of time has past, but the rate of aging was slower for the accelerated individual because of the higher energy density experienced by the accelerated individual.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I hear into the past as well

That said.. compare supersonic travel with FTL travel.. I really don't think it's possible to actually travel into the future even if we could travel FTL.

16. DNA100 Registered Senior Member

sounds pretty confusing unless the full explanation is given.i will try to find that book.Space and time are pretty hard to understand.btw,it's done using something like a cassimir effect,isn't it?well,the idea that i get is that if i shoot off one mouth,then it's the mouth that experience time-dilation.but how exactly am i going back in time?when i come out of the mouth,it will be just like coming out of a space-ship.

you are right,we can look back in time.but we can also travel into future(not talking about past).if we move close to speed of light,then time is slower for us than the rest of world (in some inertial frame of reference).so when we return,we that the world is in future.

sorry,it was a typo,i meant faster than light travel.i know about time dilation.i read somewhere that in a world where everything is faster than light,entropy alwways decrease.it's almost like time is moving backwards for every object.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  17. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Of course not. The best we could do is alter the rate of our local time so that we can allow ourselves to age slower than it does on Earth, thereby visiting a "future" that our regular metabolism would never have allowed.

Astronauts return to Earth having aged "less" than we did here. Hell, atomic clocks run slower in a jet plane than they do on the surface of the Earth, so this happens every time you take a flight.

Then again, the in-flight mean more than makes up for the bout of agelessness.

Edit: Sorry, DNA. We must have been composing "simultaneously". I just don't see altering local time as "traveling INTO the future". Both are moving ahead, just at different rates.

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Uh.. not really, you just aged slower.

19. DNA100 Registered Senior Member

how is it different from moving into the future with a short-cut?what do you consider as an actual time-travel?

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Because it isn't the future. Do you consider Cryogenic stasis to be a method of time travel ?

21. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Perfect analogy.

It would be like saying that I am traveling into the future by living in the mountains.

22. DNA100 Registered Senior Member

well ,i think it's similar to future since my clock says so.cryogenics is not,and i am not even sure if it works.

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

And you are sure FTL travel works ?

Anyway, are you old enough to have experienced cassette tapes ?

Did you consider fast forwarding a tape to your preferred song time traveling ?

(bit of a reverse example though)