They named their kid Adolf Hitler

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Syzygys, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I just saw it on CNN AC360:

A nice New Jersey couple decided to screw with their kids and the boy is named Adolf Hitler, his sister is Aryan Nation.

The local grocery store refused to write : "Happy Birthday Adolf Hitler" on his birthday cake. They called that discrimination.

The father says they live in America the land of freedom and free speech and they are not hateful or anything like that.

Opinions? I don't think there is a law against naming children...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

their last names are not Hitler...so how could they name their kid with last name "Hitler"?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I think it is Adolf Hitler Johnson or something. It is kind of irrelevant..

Well, it is Campbell:

"Adolf Hitler Campbell and his sisters, JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell, were taken from their Holland Township, N.J., home on Friday by the state's Division of Youth and Family Services (DYFS), Sgt. John Harris of the Holland Township Police Department told FOXNews.com.
    The Campbells made national news last month when a ShopRite supermarket refused to sell them a birthday cake with Adolf Hitler's name on it. The story generated a slew of angry Internet chatter.

Forensic psychologist N.G. Berrill said naming a boy Hitler could be considered child abuse."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,479904,00.html

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I wonder if Joseph Stalin is on the list of not allowed childnames... After all he got more people killed...

8. draqon Banned Banned

no idea. In any way, it is unethical practice by the parents. They are indeed not wishing good for their children.

However...the government does not have the right to remove parents' rights.

9. swarm Registered Senior Member

I suspect there really aren't grounds for the action.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

If a baker doesn't want to put something on a cake that is their decision, not anyone else's. To name a child like that only shows the ignorance and stupidity of the parents and the children will suffer for it more than the parents. It is up to each of us to ethically make up our minds as to what we will and will not do in our lives as well as our businesses.

11. CheskiChips Banned Banned

What about Mao Zedong?

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Again, each of us must ethically make a stand as to what we think is right and wrong to do. The government shouldn't and wonm't tell people what they should name their kids, at least I hope not.

13. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

So there's now a list of names that can be considered child abuse????:bugeye:
    So when Mr and Mrs King call their son Wayne is that abuse?
    What about Wayne Kerr? Teresa Green? Mike Hunt?
    List isn't exactly short is it?

14. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

I almost forgot Misty Hymen. Still, I suppose her brother Rusty doesn't mind.

15. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Not really. it is called discrimination. What if your computer gets a virus and the tech geek for whatever reason decide to discriminate against you??

it is against the law....

16. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

It's a business, and businesses do have a right to not provide services for people if the result of their services could be considered insulting or offensive. They did not bar them from shopping there, or selling them a cake. They could have purchased the cake and put the words on themselves. It's not discrimination any more than a Christian bookstore not selling the Koran or Torah texts.

These idiots made their "fight" public, and anyone who would name their children this way should probably not have children at all. Get a dog, but to saddle a child with a name that could invoke angry feelings from lots of people as they grow older is really awful. These two breeders (and I say breeders because they are hardly parents) decided to make their children a statement to others and then flaunted it and exploited the children. I fully believe in freedom of speech, but these kids didn't have a choice as to the statement they were making. Not really fair, or an issue of free speech if you ask me. It would be if the children petitioned for a name change and were refused it, but that's not the case.

It's not child abuse, but I don't think that is why the children were taken in the first place. DCFS has not been forthcoming as to the reasons, and it is pure speculation at this point. I'm with holding my judgment until I get the full story. I can imagine with parents as stupid as these two, there are probably other issues we don't know about.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

We have a law against this kind of thing here..

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Actually, yes.

19. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

There's plenty more. It's hardly the only stupid name a child can have, it's not like the kid actually IS Hitler.
    Anyone getting angry at his name really needs to take a look at themselves, that's like getting annoyed at anyone called Dave Jones because this one kid in highschool called Dave Jones accidently ran over your dog or something. :shrug:

20. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

You took the words right out my mouth: Hitler committed atrocities in his lifetime, true, but there are many other historic world leaders who are much more deserved of his especial infamy.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Ok, name your kid Adolf Hitler. Don't expect him to thank you for it later in life.

There are laws to protect children from potentially harmful names. For instance, it's illegal to name your kid 'shithead'. Same with 'Hitler'.

22. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

There's a difference between profanity and actual names. The name isn't harmful at all it's everyone elses reaction to it. I'm sure there are people in the world that would love to ban the name Theodore Kaczynski, or what about George Bush? Anyone else in favour of banning Dave Jones? That guy was such an asshole. Where are we going to draw the line exactly? 5 million deaths? A thousand? 10?
    People need to get over themselves, so he shares a name with someone big freaking deal, he didn't even choose it, and maybe, just maybe, we should judge him on his own merits.

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I think Hitler is pretty much in a league of his own. And what peoples reactions are going to be is exactly the point. What live do you think that kid will have ? It's sad enough he has morons for parents..