How Long does it Take you to Run a Mile?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Cellar_Door, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

I'm getting back into my exercise regime now Christmas is over. I just wanted to know how long it takes you run a mile, so I have some kind of average to try and beat.

At the moment, I'm between 6-7 minutes.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

About 2 weeks...depending on how many bars there are in the mile, and how many stops I have to make for smokes.

I only run if chased.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

How Long does it Take you to Run a Mile?

Why?

Fact is that walking briskly is better on your body than running is.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

Not if you stretch beforehand and wear proper trainers. Besides, fact of the matter is, walking isn't vigorous enough to really get your heart going.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Running and walking are both fantastic exercises and both are going to be great for our health," says Dr Lynch.

But which is better?

So first up, the test has shown that we all need to find our own exercise level, but what else has it told us about running versus walking?

Lets start with weight loss:

That boils down to who burns more calories. "The food we eat is energy in and how we exercise, how we burn energy, is energy out, so the balance between energy in and energy out is whether we increase or decrease weight," explains Dr Lynch. By running, Brooke was burning energy at twice the rate of Andrew walking — 10 calories a minute to his five.

So in terms of weight loss, running wins hands down. In general, you have to walk nearly an hour, to get a similar weight-loss benefit to a half hour run.

Walker or runner, you'll get most benefit if you aim for thirty to sixty minutes a day. It doesn't have to be all at once — three or four fifteen minute blocks through the day is just as good.

Now there's one last area in this argument, where walking has the clear edge: injury.

"There's going to be much less injury associated with a low impact exercise such as walking, and that's why we can advocate walking for a lot of people, especially if they're overweight or have a cardiovascular condition, they're still going to get a lot of benefits from a brisk walk," says Dr Lynch.

The impact of running on your joints can be more than three times your body weight, every step is triple the impact of walking. You have to train your body to get used to the jarring. Ultimately that's the message, for walking or running — find your level, then build up slowly and the benefits will come, in weight loss and general health.

http://health.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=148126

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Weight Loss for Men

A guy calls a company and orders their 5-day, 10 lb. weight loss program.

The next day, there's a knock on the door and there stands before him a voluptuous, athletic, 19 year old babe dressed in nothing but a pair of Nike running shoes and a sign around her neck. She introduces herself as a representative of the weight loss company. The sign reads, "If you can catch me, you can have me."

Without a second thought, he takes off after her. A few miles later huffing and puffing, he finally gives up. The same girl shows up for the next four days and the same thing happens. On the fifth day, he weighs himself and is delighted to find he has lost 10 lbs. as promised.

He calls the company and orders their 5-day/20 pound program. The next day there's a knock at the door and there stands the most stunning, beautiful, sexy woman he has ever seen in his life. She is wearing nothing but Reebok running shoes and a sign around her neck that reads, "If you catch me you can have me". Well, he's out the door after her like a shot. This girl is in excellent shape and he does his best, but no such luck. So for the next four days, the same routine happens with him gradually getting in better and better shape.

Much to his delight on the fifth day when he weighs himself, he discovers that he has lost another 20 lbs. as promised. He decides to go for broke and calls the company to order the 7-day/50 pound program

"Are you sure?" asks the representative on the phone. "This is our most rigorous program."

"Absolutely," he replies, "I haven't felt this good in years."

The next day there's a knock at the door; and when he opens it he finds a huge muscular guy standing there wearing nothing but pink running shoes and a sign around his neck that reads, "If I catch you, your ass is mine."

He lost 63 pounds that week.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

11. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Nice one O...I'm stealing that one.

12. got~fries? Registered Member

I haven't exercise for about 10 years now, so I started out walking/jogging 1 mile everyday and my time for 1 mile is currently at 15 minutes.

13. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Completely out of shape, I can run a mile in 6:30.

14. draqon Banned Banned

haha that was amazing Orleander =) funny

15. draqon Banned Banned

back when I was a kid I used to do 1 mile in 3 minutes, now I dont time myself.

16. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Then you should have been in the Olympics. You would have set a world record.

17. draqon Banned Banned

seriously I was an extremely fast runner.

actually I just realized it was 1 km, not 1 mile. Its Europeans measuring system.

18. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

forever. I haven't actually ran a mile with out stopping since like 5th grade. I walk it in about 10 mins though. Long distance running and me are not friends.

19. draqon Banned Banned

I used to go on track as soon as dusk came and all the runners were gone, and than I would imagine myself as a razorblade cutting through air, I ran with wish to be free, I ran from loneleness in me. My shoes smelled of burnt rubber after few minutes.

After I finished running the track I collapsed on the field on my knees and cried. I cried with noone around to see me. I cried because I was alone and my parents left me. I cried because noone accepted me in society. I cried and cried until there were no more tears left and than I ran again, empty inside.

Running for me was a spiritual event, a prayer in a way, to God to accept my sacrifice and pain of everything that happened so early in my life. I wanted to melt everything with my rage, but my rage turned into despair, and despair into sadness, until I was empty of emotions.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  20. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

You used to smell your shoes while running? Did you take them off or hop?

21. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

I tried that: now I'm 85 miles from home and I left my wallet behind.

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I don't believe that. How old were you ?

23. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

What's so unbelievable about 1 km in 3 minutes?
    At school I used to run the mile in slightly over 5 minutes (and never finished first).
    1 mile ~ 1.6 km.
    (1.6/5)*3 = .96 km.