Re: Intelligent People 'Less Likely to Believe in God'

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by S.A.M., Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Regarding the thread:

Intelligent People 'Less Likely to Believe in God'

my posts which questioned the validity of arriving at conclusions from IQ tests [ie do atheists who believe that intelligent people are less likely to believe in God, also believe that blacks are dumber than white?] was deleted.

Is it not permitted to question the validity of a premise?

Can one not compare the conclusions when two studies use the same methodology to arrive at that conclusion?

What is the scientific consensus on this application of a method? Are they comparable?

Is it correct to say "blacks are dumber than whites : theists are dumber than atheists"?

Is such generalisation of theists in accordance with the rules of the Religion forum?

Any feedback from admin will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

SAM this is a retaliation for the "atheists are more likely to be mean" thread

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You mean why atheism makes you mean. According to some atheists the ideology is separate from the individual. The atheism makes you mean thread is based on published studies reported in the OP. Anyone is welcome to attack the premise of the study and challenge its findings.

The Intelliegent less likely to believe is also based on a study which shows correlation between IQ and religious belief. My question is: are we allowed to challenge the premise and findings of the study? Do the people who support the findings of that study support all findings from similar studies?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

well S.A.M...

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Only if you were a racist. You're comparing skin color to a belief in gods. You're not stretching anymore, you're just plain stupid.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'm challenging the validity of arriving at conclusions from IQ tests.

10. draqon Banned Banned

intelligence is not a measure of morality, S.A.M.
    mean or not mean is a measure of morality, S.A.M.

what you are saying is that atheist are less moral than theists...which is, not true.

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

No, you're ranting hysterically.

12. draqon Banned Banned

I, the atheist, would rather be called stupid than immoral.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats not what I am saying. Thats what the results of the study are saying.

I will be happy to hear your observations on the findings from that study in the thread.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I will also be happy to hear why conclusions from IQ tests are valid in some circumstances but not others.

14. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Is it important what people label us? Theist/atheist, black/white, intelligent/unintelligent, immoral/moral? People make opinion in their mind, it's all a matter of mind, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter.... I think what is more important is the essence, not the label.. :shrug:

15. draqon Banned Banned

inzomnia we want unification, we want others alike as us ourselves...labeling is a way to unite.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yes its important. Because how people treat you is based on how they label you.For example, if I believe that blacks are dumber than whites, this will severely affect the ability of blacks to obtain equal opportunities where I exert an influence. Consider, for example, the statute against gay marriage. Similarly, if I think athiests are a bad influence, this will definitely influence my decision to hire a person who I know is an athiest. What do you think would be the effect of an athiest movement to label all theists as dumb or delusional? What if your boss is an atheist who thinks like that? Will this not affect you?

17. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Seeing people based on predefined label is a kind of prejudice. If I hire a person, I'll read their qualifications. If I have new classmate and he is black, I might have first bad impression (from the predefined label suggested by people), but with time, the quality of the person will naturally change my view on them disregard their skin colors.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Exactly, but people have lost their jobs because they hold a religious viewpoint, even though it had no effect on or nothing to do with their work. What do you think of that?

19. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Well, I would not want to work with people who are being prejudice on me. If they don't accept me because of my religion, how would I like to work with them? :shrug:

As a side note, I always leave blank the column in a formulir which asked about my ethnicity, religion, etc. If it doesn't allow me to leave it blank, I put none or non-applicable

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Because you can conceal it.

However, why do you feel the need to?

21. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Because I think it is irrelevant. :shrug:

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If its irrelevant, why do you have to conceal it.

Do you also skip the gender?

23. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

If I put it, it will be relevant to the one that reads my application.

I don't normally skip gender, and it never gives blank (like this:............) option. Either I have to thick male or female.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.