Fallout 3

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Stryder, Nov 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Since this is getting mentioned in another thread I'd thought I'd create a thread just for it.

For those of you that don't know about the fallout series, think of a world which is based around a 1940-50's middle America after a nuclear war. The lands are devastated, the people and animals are mutated, the water is radioactive and the soil is hardly fertile. "Survival of the fittest" is pushed to it's limits.

Fallout 3 is the third version (obviously shown by the 3

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) It takes place in the "Capital Wastelands" (The once proud city of Washington, DC an it's out lining areas.) The hero of the story was born and raised in a "Vault" one of the many places that people took refuge during the war. (The war is set circa 2077, the emergence of the "Dweller" is somewhere after 2200.)

The game itself is made by Bethesda soft and has been made to be very much like the vast sprawling RPG that Oblivion was renowned for. As for the game play, well I'd really suggest not following the Main storyline until you've finished roaming the wastelands and doing the side missions as the main story brings an end to the gameplay all too quickly. However if you take the side quests into account the game has at least 100 hours of play. (although I've only personally racked up 95hrs)

For those that wanted to know, it's First person or Third person (like Oblivion was) and there will likely be expansions in the future (Like Oblivion had). The only way to explain what it looks and feels like is Oblivion meets Bioshock.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Does the grit of Fallout 1 and 2 make the transition? Oblivion gave me damned headache trying to workout swordplay, does the vats system fix this? Does it deal with gunfire over range? I guess the most important question, is the fun factor worth the inherent tediousness of walking forever? I loved fallout 1 and 2, hell I still have wasteland somewhere.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Wow...cool..I'll have to try it. My biggest complaint about single player games, lately, is the length of game play. When you can finish a game in a day and half, it kinda leaves you wanting. Oblivion was one of my favorite games because it was sooo deep.

I enjoyed both oblivion and bioshock...so this would seem right up my alley.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Well it's a lot different from the Isometric topdown that Fallout 3's predecessors were renowned for. Trading is still a bartering method so you have to be careful that you don't give things to a trader for more than they are worth or you end up losing out. Ammo's not so much an issue (At least I found it an issue in the originals it was easy to run out, but I couldn't get to far into it, the game wouldn't run too well on my OS

)

You can attempt to run round like a First person shooter or use Melee weapons which would be very similar to trying to work out where to strike in Oblivion. However as long as you have AP (action points) you can enter into the V.A.T.S mode and use that to do an action. Very handy if they keep moving out of your Sledge hammer swing.

V.A.T.S allows you to zoom in on an enemy at a greater distance compared to even the Scoped sniper rifle. You don't use the Scope in V.A.T.S mode (And for a sniper rifle it's fairly inaccurate) however you can still pull off some very clean shots (occasionally).

I'm not 100% sure of the factors that go into it off hand (not without a little research) however I believe that a decent shot takes into consideration as to whether:
    • You are standing or Crouched (Crouched increases Accuracy).
    • Your Arms and Head haven't suffered any Crippling Damage.
    • The perks you have chosen.
    • Your skill level for that weapon.
    • If the Opponent is ducked, standing or running for cover. (Cover can stop a shot)
    • Whether you are too close to cover (Sometimes being too close to cover yourself will stop the shot)

There are a lot of roaming enemies and allies alike out in the wastelands. You'll find a lot to kill or investigate and when you've found a location you can fast travel like you did in Oblivion. There are of course no Vehicles or horses, not that really matters.

Not all locations will show up on your navigation as an arrow, so you might find yourself wandering. The dungeon's (in this case old military bases, basements and of course vaults) are great to get lost in since the map is a 2D top down and doesn't identify floor levels or anything.

If you are doing the storyline, I'd suggest stopping once you get to the Citadel on the story and concentrating on side missions. (I'm not going to explain why the Citadel, however there is something that can help you in your game progress which is extremely handy. Otherwise following the story will end your game over a couple of hours

)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  8. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

I don't like what you are saying, I also heard combat is basically easymode.

Pretty sick of wimpy gen-y games.

However I cannot resist a "fallout" game. Loved the other two, loved the whole genre...still wanting that feeling I had playing Wasteland.

9. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

The problem I had with Oblivion was that it was too vast and open ended. I think it was a really good game with great graphics. There is way too much to do. All these towns, and all these locations. I'm sure Fallout is like that.

I finally got close to the end of Bioshock. Bioshock is quite linear compared to Oblivion. No huge playing field with lots of towns to visit. Just sort of an elevator thing that takes you to different dungeons. Bioshock is clearly based on Ayn Rand with so much in common that they have to be either in some form of collaboration or sued. The character names, the artwork, the themes are very Ayn Rand.

I'm not sure what gameplay is like in Fallout, but Bioshock is nothing more than a typical zombie shooter. It is scary, the music is eeries to add to the mood, and you get attacked by really scary zombielike mutants that actually talk. It gets annoying when you run into a place, and you are surrounded by mutants attacking you or mechanical gun turrets and missle launcers.

I think the theme of Bioshock involves the relationship between altruism and the virtue of selfish individualism. The best part is when the evil mutants are so enraged against welfare parasites. Especial in the Point Prometheus level.

I finally played Crysis Warhead also. I consider graphics to be a corss between technology and aesthetics. While graphics and technology in Crysis are amazing, I would like to see these games incorporate artwork as seen in Halo. Beatiful scenery and environments.

I didn't like playing Crysis at all. Between Bioshock and Oblivion, Oblivion is amazing for really open ended game play. Bioshock is a zombie dungeon hack and slash that has easier gameplay elements. The only interface problem I had with Bioshock was lack of radar map/compass. The rooms in each level look so much alike, it can be hard to find our bearings.

10. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Wasteland-I still break that old gem out. Interplay was the golden age of RPG's. Fallout was the first RPG where shooting someone in the leg or arm had a visual effect that had meaning. Nothing like sniping tribals in a fit of venom. Or breaking out the minigun for a bit of fun with scientology. (what was it called in F2?)

11. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Speaking of wasteland-Did you see it foreshadowed in werra's realm in Bard's Tale 3? I have forever sought to be able to cast mass heal in a gunfight in a game ever since.

12. Maxi Registered Senior Member

i just finished downloading it... i wanna test it before i buy it as im not sure whether i'll really like it.... i loved oblivion and i heard in reviews that basically fallout 3 is oblivion but with guns added...

another question: xbox 360 or PC?

shamefully i admit that after 2 years i still havent familiarized myself with xbox 360 so well so i dont know how it works for expansions if you can download them or whatever..

13. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

To get expansions you have to pay for them using Microsoft Points on XBOX live. Currently Fallout doesn't have any however Oblivion has Shivering Isle's and a bunch of other assorted extras.

As for the Game being on PC or XBOX. Well the XBOX version will obviously run on an XBOX, the PC version might require you to tweak your system to get it to work, or your system might be too far behind the times to get it to work.

Obviously PC allows you to increase your systems spec in the future opposed to the XBOX not being able to spec further.

14. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

You should see the end of Bioshock...it gets pretty twisted. The whole game was so dark...like sucking the lifeforce from those little girls...pretty wicked. But your right, it was just really a shooter, and I hated when I didn't know where to go. Pretty good game though.

15. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

Man Fallout 3 is like crack.

All you want to do is play the game.

One of the best games ever.

16. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

I got midlessly addicted to F3 for a bit when I got it last weekend, amazing game, I appreciate the thick grey line between moral decisions and such, the decisions you make are often not as simple as good, bad, and neutral, although those certainly exist.

Kind of an issue I have is that heavy combat just isn't very fluid compared to a traditional shooter. You can assign weapons and aids to the keyboard 1-8 buttons, which allows for fast swapping without having to go to the wrist-mounted Pipboy 3000 and pause the action all the time. Only problem with this is the system is not smart enough to figure out if you, say, used your hunting rifle to repair another hunting rifle and now have this better rifle in your inventory. The hotkey won't carry over, so you're stuck in combat banging the hotkey a fwe times while taking shots! This is kinda nitpicking though, it's not entirely fair to compare such a deep game to a traditional shooter.

Also, for all the tiny fission and fusion power sources and ruined vehicles that are everywhere, I'm wondering why vehicles didn't factor into the game. They would have limited use, since most of the terrain is impassable due to boulders and cliffs and a river splitting the map, but could make some neat things happen like let you carry more goods for trading between the larger outposts or have an automated turret on board, or use it for a neat run-and-gun mission, with you and a computer character driving or shooting a 50.cal across the wasteland.

P.S., anyone found the alien crash site? I'm wondering if there's any importance to it or if it's just kinda cool.

17. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I beat it. It wasn't difficult. In the end, I went back up to the surface with all these little girls, and took care of them for the rest of my life. The little girls all grew up, and became adults living a normal life.

The darkness of the game was annoying. When I downloaded, I expected it to be more of a fun technofantasy game like Omnikron. Not some scary ass shit. And mutatns keep appearing even in areas you've already cleared. While the story seemed interesting, it is hard to get to when all you are doing is shooting annoying monsters and playing pipedreams. All I did was play pipedreams.

18. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

F2 had eastereggs that were awesome. Like the wreck of a star trek shuttlecraft. I think there was some sort of solar powered gun to be found there. The more I hear about it, the more it sounds like a true sequel. The tactical capacity for the action point system in combat was great, I thought. Did AP's make it into F3 on some noticeable level?

19. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Perhaps vehicles will make it into an expansion. Would of made sense to invest in the mobile traders by kitting them up with golf carts or something similar. (I lost one of my traders to the wastelands

)

I had some fun sneaking armour on people to see if they use it or not.

20. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I finally played it.

It starts out with vault 101. Everybody is born there, and dies there. The vault is run by the evil Overseer. When you are born, your mother dies at birth. Dad raises you, and teaches you the controls. Then you get this iphone when you're 10. Lots of complicated stuff on the iphone that requires a learning curve. Then you turn 16, and take some weird exam.

When you finally grow up, you wake up to find out your dad escaped the vault, and Overseer's goons have murdered your dad's best friend/assistant. There is a giant roach infestation, and all the goons are looking to kill you. Your girlfriend who is also the Overseer's daughter helps you escape the vault.

When I finally got out of the vault, there were so many bloody stats I had to adjust for my character, I didn't know what to do with them. I just tried to even them out as much as possible. I finally ran away from the entrance, and found myself in this huge wasteland called Capital Wasteland.

I then run through a desolate neighborhood called, Springvale. Not sure. Then I head towards this giant shed, and spend all day trying to find my way into it. At first I thought it was just another part of the scenery, but my compass seemed to point right at it. It turns out, you can just walk up to the west side of it, and it will open up. There is a robot outside who guards the shed from all these creatures. There is also a homeless man who wants water.

The shed is a town called, Megaton. Once I got inside, I talked to the mayor. He said there is a nuclear bomb at the center of town that is still active. Nobody knows when or if it will explode. Some of the townspeople created a religion worshiping it. He told me to disarm a nuclear bomb. Then he told me to go to Moriarty's Saloon to find info on my missing father. When I get to Moriarty's Saloon, it was closed. I don't know why or what the hell is up with this game.

I then walked around, and talked to some little girl. This guy, Billy found her in a far away town. I talked to Billy who deals with merchants or something.

After that, I meet the water guy who gives me a mission to find 3 broken water pipes in town, and fix them.

Finally I meet this shopkeeper, Moira, who gives me a better armored outfit. She then makes me do a research mission for a book she is writing. I have to do 3 things.
    -Drink radiation until I reach a high radiation level, and come back to her for research.
    -Go to some minefield village out in the wasteland, and get to the play ground. Then come back to tell the story if I survive. And bring her a mine if possible.
    -Go to Super Wal-Mart to find food and meds.

I already have 4 other missions.
    -Dismantle the bomb.
    -Find dad.
    -Fix 3 broken water pipes.
    -Get purified water for the homeless man.

I finally found out that Moriarty's Saloon has a front door. When I go in, I can't for the life of me find Moriarty. I look all over the place, and talk to the bartender ghoul. I got karma for being nice.

Then, I met this girl who wants me to diliver a letter to her father in another town called, Arefu.

Then, I ran in to this psycho in a business suit. He wanted pay me to plant a device on the bomb so that it would soon explode. For some unknown reason, he wants to destroy this town, and kill everybody in it. I did not take that psychopathic mission.

FINALLY, the owner, Moriarty, walks in. He tells me that he knew my father. He also knew me when I was a baby. He tells me that my father and I were not born in Vault 101. It was all a lie. My father and his friend/assistant took me into the vault when I was a baby. We lived there ever since. Then he tells me that father went to go look for some information at Galaxy Radio Station. My next mission is to go there, and find my dad.

Moriarty said that there are 2 radio stations. Enclave Radio and Galaxy Radio. Enclave seems to repeat itself while Galaxy supposedly gives some form of news.

I told the Mayor about this guy in a suit, and we went to go arrest him. The Maoyr arrests him, but the guy pulls out a gun, and shoots the mayor. I tried to stop him by beating him to death with my bat, but it was too late. The mayor was dead, and so was he. I looted both of them, and got much better stuff. I then met the Mayor's son who now has no care taker. The son said to continue my mission to dismantle the bomb.

I now have the following mission.
    -Drink radiation until I reach a high radiation level, and go back to Moira for research.
    -Go to some minefield village out in the wasteland, and get to the play ground. Then come back to tell the story if I survive. And bring her a mine if possible.
    -Go to Super Wal-Mart to find food and meds.
    -Dismantle the bomb.
    -Find father at Galaxy Radio Station.
    -Fix 3 broken water pipes.
    -Get purified water for the homeless man.
    -Deliver the lady's letter to her father in Arefu.

First I dismantle the huge bomb in the middle of the town. The dead mayor's son rewards me, and gives me a key to my own apartment in Megaton. It's posh. I have my own robot butler who dispenses bottled purified water.

I then search around town to find the 3 broken water pipes. All of which I fix to get my reward.

I start drinking the water near the bomb and out of the toilets to get radiation poison. After that, I go to Moira who researche me and fixes me.

I buy some supplies from Moira, and leave town on my journey to the minefield. Outside, I bump into the homeless man, and give him 2 bottles of my purified water. Walking through Springvale, I walk into a house. There is a lady in there. After talking to her about Moriarty, I convince her to give me a lump sum of money.

I proceeded through the wasteland walking a hell of a long distance to get to this minefield town. On the way there, I fight these giant molrats. I also fight a group of weird humanoids that attacked me. When I finally arrive to the minefield town, I ceep through the minefield. I also killll this guy that kept trying to snipe me from on top of a building. I then made it to a playground. I also ran up to a mine, and defused it before it could explode. Then I took it.

After that, I headed towards Arefu. On the way there, these two greenish orge looking humanoids attacked me. I also found an undergound subway station. Inside, this ghoul and his gay friend are working on a lab experiment to develop some sort of chemical. I get the mission to go find sugar bombs.

when I finally get to Arefu, I have no idea where I am. I'm under this highway, and there is absolutely nothing there, but nothing. The map says I am in Arefu, and it says that there are houses all around me, but there is nothing. I get pissed off thinking it's a glitch. I'm running around this area under a highway looking for Arefu. Finally, hours and hours later, I realize that Arefu is on top of me. It is probably on top of the highway. I then swim across the river to get to the front of the ramp. I go up the highway, and find myself in Arefu.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  21. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

22. gurglingmonkey More Amazing in RL Registered Senior Member

Yeah I thought the radar could have used a height indicator of some kind. A little thing.

23. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

fallout 3 is good but i'm dissapointed for 3 reasons
    1. no eye or groin shots. and the lack of being able to target areas with melee weapons
    2.you can't get a spouse and pimp them out
    3. you can't kill everyone. kids are immune to damage and you can only knock out the BOS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.