Sam: Prisons are full of people like you.

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by (Q), Aug 30, 2008.

1. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Sam thinks those who would make moral decisions based on their own reason and rationale wind up in prisons.

India has 2.5 million prisoners in a system that can only accommodate 2.1 million. Some of these prisons house 3 times their capacity. Overcrowding of prisons is one of India's biggest problems.

I wonder how many of those prisoners were taught morals from their religion and how many came up with their morals on their own?

Sam??

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

17 out of 23 of our cabinet ministers are atheist. You think they may be damaging the religious systems? Anyone who breaks the law, will end up in prison. And since its not a perfect system, many innocent people will too. But they are assumed to have broken a law.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Veering off topic with strawmen because you can't answer the question?

You really should read this sometime, Sam. The vast majority of your posts fall entirely within these categories:

http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/skeptic/arguments.html

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Sure.
    Says the humanist atheist: "We have free will. Whatever we do is a matter of our conscious, deliberate choice."

So, Q, which is it? -

Should a person be assessed based on the philosophy/worldview they espouse?

Or should a person be assessed based on the philosophy/worldview you espouse, or which someone else espouses?

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

This entire thread is off topic. Since no one can make decisions on morality that are against the law, "by themselves". If you don't believe me, try having sex with a three year old in public. And announce that being Jewish makes it legal for you, based on your personal interpretation of Jewish beliefs.

9. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Someone can come up with their morals on their own? People are really able to do that??

Then why educate them?

10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

You tell me. You're morals are based on what someone else espoused.

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Only when you post, Sam.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So are yours. Why else would you believe in accountability and punishment?

13. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Demanding answers, Sam, when you don't provide them yourself?

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I know why I believe what I believe. But I see you have some strange notions that make no logical sense. Perhaps you should think about it some.

Why do you follow the law?

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

So Sam, tell us why the prisons of India are overcrowded? What happened to religious morals? Why would you state that people who come to their own decisions about morality go to prisons and the statistics clearly show societies that are dominated by religion have overcrowded prisons? The US is the same, if that makes you feel any better.

16. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

This thread is specific. Stay on topic and answer the question or shut the fuck up.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Perhaps I was referring to moral societies. If there is no morality, there will be no prison. Accountability is only a necessity if people accept that what you did is wrong. Otherwise, you can kill millions and still go home to your family.

18. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

Just like your notion that prisons are full of people like me?

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

They are. Each and everyone of them decided for themselves what is "right" or "moral" for themselves. Unfortunately, society at large disagreed with their interpretations.

20. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

So, the 2.5 million prisoners in India, though adamant in their religious beliefs, decided to toss the morals of their religion out the window in favor of ...?

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Sure, is that so surprising? Plenty of people out there who think they know better and will never get caught.

22. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

And religious people can not do that? Are you telling me that as a religious person you cannot decide whats right and wrong by yourself? You need some ancient book to do it for you? That sounds pretty shady to me.

What if you lose faith? Then are you just a loose cannon ready to kill, lie, steal because of your lack of ethics and morals?

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Of course it sounds shady to you. It does to everyone who makes up their own morals and thinks they are right.

Could be, it takes a lack of faith to take the law in your hands, because technically, you know you are doing something wrong, but you don't care anyway, since you know better.