Man shoots wife while installing satellite TV system

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by cosmictraveler, Mar 27, 2008.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

SEDALIA, MO. (AP) -- Officials are trying to decide whether to file charges against a Missouri man who fatally shot his wife while trying to install a satellite TV system in their home.

Thirty-four-year-old Patsy Long of Deep Water was pronounced dead Saturday evening after being shot in the chest with a .22-caliber handgun. Her husband, Ronald Long, fired the shot from the inside of their home after several unsuccessful efforts to punch a hole through the exterior wall using other means.

Henry County Sheriff's Deputies say the woman was hit by the second of two shots fired by her husband.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:bugeye::shrug:

http://www.khqa.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=112401

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

I'm thinking she heard the first shot and went to look at it not knowing he would discharge the riffle again.

The first comment on the link made me laugh and I felt bad.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. phlogistician Banned Banned

Ah, the old saying is so apt, ...

"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like nails".

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

See, this is one of those things ... "Officials are trying to decide whether to file charges ..."?

I think the only question is which charges to file.

8. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

9. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

what if she was standing too close and drilled into her chest instead of shooting her? Would you feel the same way?

What if he shot her with a nail gun on accident. Those things wil go through two 2x4s and could kill you easily.

What would you charge him with, being a stupid ass or getting maried to one?

See, this is where natural selection makes sense to me but I just say it's god rooting out the dumb ones.

10. original sine Registered Senior Member

Incompetence. He had trouble putting a hole in his wall to accommodate wires for his satellite television setup, so his solution is a handgun? I want to know what other tools he tried using beforehand, what he was trying to drill through, and why he decided that his .22 caliber handgun would do the job. A .22 caliber bullet is fairly small, similar to the diameter of a standard pencil. There are more safe and sound tools to use anyways. Yet this brilliant man decides to fire TWO shots?

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I'm surprised no one thought I was that wife. LOL She was Collateral Damage from a future Darwin Award winner.
    Haven't you ever heard of men using the butt of their gun as a hammer?

12. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Orleander?

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

sshhhh. I'm in stealth mode.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Sad excuses

So when you're using a dangerous tool, you have no obligation whatsoever to make sure you're not endangering anyone else with it?

Some excuse.

Well, in that jurisdiction, it's apparently manslaughter. Fine with me. Maybe a jury of his peers will agree with you and rule that in discharging a firearm a shooter has no obligation to public safety. Not guilty, all good. Right?

Welcome to America. Even the stupid are included by the Equal Protection Clause. Although, if you really want to excuse this chap, point out that the victim was a woman. Because women have never really been protected under the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

15. original sine Registered Senior Member

I have heard of people that use handguns as hammers, but I think it's just as trivial as using a handgun as a drill. This guy probably lived in proximity to a hardware store. If you were in a situation where you couldn't wait to acquire the proper tools, then it might make sense to start smashing things together where it's needed. Not in this case though.

16. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

What if some bystander walking his dog was killed by this bullet, instead of his wife. It's pretty obvious charges would be involved in that situation, I don't see how this is any different.

17. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Tiassa, if you make a bad decision and pull out in front of a truck and your spouse dies,should you be charged for killing them? I can se it if her family pressed the issue but this guys prolly on suicide watch, anyway.

18. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

I suppose you mean she was dumb for marrying him. Yes, I think with the nail gun he should be charged. Reckless endangerment. With a handgun absolutely. He is dangerously stupid, at the very least. Someone inexperienced with a nail gun might not realize 1) how dangerous they are and 2) they have some range. Any idiot has seen some TV and realizes that guns 1) are dangerous and 2) have range. He should be charged. The fact that a gun is intended to be a weapon reduces claims of ignorance.

And if you don't think so, I will move in next door to you and clip the hedge between our properties with a licenced automatic rifle.

I have this feeling you will call the police and expect them to charge me
    with
    something....

19. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

If he had fired the gun through the wall the other way and killed one of your kids playing on your lawn would you really hold this line of reasoning?

I mean if he tripped and the gun went off that's one thing but he needs some very severe training.

Further it will become the way to kill your spouse if they let this guy walk. You decide you want to be no longer married to that ___________ and you don't want the hassle of a divorce, well, you can 'get rid of that annoying mosquito in the bedroom with a shotgun, oops.'

Come on.

And the passing poorly in a car and having an accident is not a good analogy. If the guy makes an incredibly bad move in a car, OK, yes, he could also be charged.

But the guy passing poorly in a car is using a car. If he tows his kid on a skateboard on the highway behind his car, now you're getting closer to an analogy. Skateboard not highway vehicle. Handgun not drill.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  20. Vkothii Banned Banned

What if hubby fixes the fridge or the washer and wires it up wrong, so the wifey gets fried when she goes to get a beer for him or wash his smelly t-shirt?

(My dipshit bro nearly killed hisself this way, years ago, with an all-metal Akai tape deck he was buggerising around with, and wired the chassis to the brown wire, not the green wire - oops. Lucky it was him got to try it out.)

21. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

More than likely the satellite dish manufacturer will get sued because they failed to stipulate in their instruction manual that the use of a handgun for installation purposes may cause severe bodily harm or death.

22. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

Civil suit. Divorce. Publish story. Keep telling everyone.

People try to fix appliances. He did it badly.

Firing bullets through the walls of a house that is occupied should be a crime.

23. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

Oops, I used a grenade to get rid of bed lice while my wife was sleeping in it. But the lice were on my side of the bed, that's where I put the grenade.

Jail time.

If you use an item whose primary purpose is the kill or wound over distance and you use it near people it is a whole different ball game. I have sympathy for the urge to put some of the idiots mentioned above in counterexamples in jail, but these people did not expressly pick of the 'kills people and is meant to kill people item'. To use a 'kills people device' shows a disdain for the safety of others that is criminal, even if they are not conscious of it.

If the guy fixes a refridgerator and kills someone because he does a bad job
    and then does it again,
    I am open to putting that guy in jail. Because by that second refridgerator he knew his inabilities as an electrician were like a weapon.
    With a gun you know that right off.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008