Standards for Academic Integrity: Source material: quotes, citations, hyperlinks, etc

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Asguard, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Version 2.0

This will go into effect today (the fact that the old thread was able to be viewed was a mistake on my part, it was only a draft copy, not a new policy). Any comments, criticisms, etc. should be either posted in THIS thread or PMed directly to me.

In order to improve communication at Sciforums, the following standards are now in effect. Posts not meeting these standards are subject to moderator review and deletion. Please see (this thread) if you have further questions

This shouldn't affect those members who already have their own systems for quoting outside sources. But for those who currently don't, don't know how to go about it or simply refuse to follow any standard, this will be the new minimum standard.

When is source material required

Source material is required whenever you wish a debate to go further than just a personal opinion. It can be inserted into any thread as long as it is relevant.

When asked for by a mod, however, it will be required. This will only happen if claims are made that are outside the normal. For instance to say "Christians believe in god" would not require a quote because it is self-evident. However to say "homosexuality is the cause of AIDS" would require a higher degree of evidence.

How to properly reference material:

There are many acceptable ways to cite source material. As long as your reference includes these things it should be acceptable.

Firstly you must have a way to separate the quoted material from your own text

Also for a book (or other offline) references these must be included:

• The title of the work
    • The author
    • Date of publication
    • Where it was published
    • The page number (if applicable)

If it's an online source then the link MUST be included.
    Other things which are preferable include:

• The title
    • The author
    • The publisher
    • Date of publication
    • The date and time viewed

For those who are unclear on how to format this, here are examples of how to reference online and offline sources:

NOTE: Because I haven't yet found tags that will allow the code to be viewed in the posted form I will be changing the first [ bracket of every formatting tag to a { bracket. If you wish to copy this formatting you need to change it back again. Also these brackets <> and the stuff therein should be replaced by the information asked for. Again this is only a suggested format, not one that MUST be followed.

OFFLINE SOURCE:

Code:
    {QUOTE]
    {B]{U]<Title>[/U][/B]

{I]<Author>
    <Publisher and Date of publication>[/I]

From Page <1>....

<Text>

From Page <10> ....

<Text>[/QUOTE]

For an ONLINE source I do this

Code:
    {QUOTE]
    {B]{U]<Title>[/U][/B]

{I]<Page information received from (example Adelaide Now)
    Author
    Date of publication>[/I]

<Text of quote>

{URL="<link>"]{COLOR="Blue"]{B]{U]Viewed <Date> at <time>[/U][/B][/COLOR][/URL]

[/QUOTE]
    This is not to say that other methods won't be allowed as long as they a) contain the relevant information and b) use some method to separate the quoted material from the rest of the post

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Origional post updated to fix spelling and gramatical errors
    Thanks to tiassa and FR for their help

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kadark Banned Banned

This idea sucks!

Why does everything have to be so formal?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.