Neanderthal cannibalism

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Orleander, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

This makes sense to me.
    But aren't there tribes that practice cannibalism? Why haven't they disappeared. So maybe its just one factor out of many as to why Neanderthals are gone. :shrug:

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/02/27/neanderthal-cannibalism.html

A Neanderthal-eat-Neanderthal world may have spread a mad cow-like disease that weakened and reduced populations of the large Eurasian human, thereby contributing to its extinction, according to a new theory based on cannibalism that took place in more recent history.

Aside from illustrating that consumption of one's own species isn't exactly a healthy way to eat, the new theoretical model could resolve the longstanding mystery as to what caused Neanderthals, which emerged around 250,000 years ago, to disappear off the face of the Earth about 30,000 years ago.

"The story of Neanderthal extinction is one of the most intriguing in all of human evolution," author Simon Underdown told Discovery News. "Why did a large-brained, intelligent hominid that shared so many traits with us disappear?"...

...Gory evidence uncovered in a French cave in 1999 revealed Neanderthals likely practiced cannibalism. The 100,000-120,000 year-old bones discovered at the cave site of Moula-Guercy near the west bank of the Rhone river suggested a group of Neanderthals defleshed the bones of at least six other individuals and then broke the bones apart with a hammerstone and anvil to remove the marrow and brains....

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

I think the disappearence of neanderthal was because we are the neanderthal, or that was our last stage in our evolution. I don't believe we evolved from apes.
    your theory is quite logical,maybe mankind as we are developed an immunity as well as starting to farm produce (which neanderthal didn't do [as far as i noknow i maybe wrong])

as we continue to over populate the planet (I think its been doubling every 35 years) isn't cannibalism one of the sure fire ways we can prevent extinction when there is not enough room to grow food to feed the majority we will be left without many options.

"Better in the warm belly of a friend, than alone in the cold ground"

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

what did neanderthals evolve from then??:bugeye:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Wannabe-neanderthals, those who tried but just didn't make it over the rainbow!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

From Sea Squirts of course..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

possibly ape like creatures?:bugeye:
    perhaps when neanderthals evolved into what they were perhaps that was the Bone Age when tools were first used pre-stone age(don't know when the ages were in comparrison to neanderthal though)
    so I take back about not evloving from apes and change it to not directly evolving from apes.
    but as we were around as they died out (only my opinion)either we killed them off they evolved into what we are now.
    or it is possible that a disease like you have stated wiped them out.

Just been talking to my housemate pharohmoan, he thinks cannibalism is sick to the point if he had to eat flesh to survive he says he would not be scared of death, me I would tuck in IF I HAD TO if the person had died naturaly and the meat was not rancid to live I would.

10. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Reminds me of that movie ALIVE. Have you seen this movie?

The amazing, true story of a Uruguayan rugby team's plane that crashed in the middle of the Andes mountains, and their immense will to survive and pull through alive, forced to do anything and everything they could to stay alive including cannibalism.

11. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

yes, i've seen it it is amazing what the human can endure to survive.
    to eat your friends though, to stay alive must be tough.

I read a story about a russian gulag, 2 prisoners were so hungry they each put their leg in the snow until they could feel no pain then sliced of strips of flesh and cooked them on a piece of metal, using dried out books they found in the snow,they were shot by the guard who found them....for destroying property of the government (burning the books)

12. Yorda Registered Senior Member

Almost correct. Read the beginning of Genesis 6 in the Bible if you want to know the whole truth.

lol, are you scared of death?

cannibalism is correct. there are insects who eat their own species after sex. totally natural

13. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

They do share a "common" ancestor with us(Homo antecessor 750K YA), but their direct ancestor - Homo heidelbergensis(250K YA) was not our ancestor.

It's been suggested that some of them were cannibals and some were not. Many groups did practice ritual "defleshing".

I think we just out-bred, out-completed them. (killed them)

14. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

not scared of death, but starving cause the food was a dude seems daft.
    there are some crazy women who would like nothing better. wayne bobbits wife for example.

15. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

some American Indian tribes used cannibalism/defleshing on prisoners of war, and the flesh eating was part of the after battle torture party.
    I wonder how far removed their ceremonies were from the neanderthals

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

We certainly evolved from apes, DNA tells us that. And there is no such thing as a "final" stage to our or anything else's evolution.

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

has that been proven? (the cannibalism part) I read that was what the Anasazi practiced which is why other tribes wiped them out. But nothing has been proven that I know of, just theory.

18. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

I've got a small paperback called.
    SCALPING and TORTURE, warfare practices among north american indians.
    its printed by IROQRAFTS LTD indian publications.

some quotes.
    the Southern Caddoans rituals were cannibalistic with the infliction of pain as merely an incidetal accompaniment...

The non-caddoan tribes(the Karankawa) of eastern texas and the gulf coast were undoubtedly voracious cannibals and it is possible that the Southern Caddoans learned the usage after coming into contact with them perhaps due to a movement out of the southeast...........

The Karankawa, according to the only description found, seemed to havehad cannibalism of the still living victim as motivation for cruelty.......

The Shawnese prophet told Trowbridge he had seen the Kickapoo burn a white man and was eaten by his torturers.......

The Chichimecos were charged with it as early as 1675 but the source is questionable.......
    there's a bit on cannibalism in this book but makes reference to a cannibalistic society amongst various tribes

and its a book printed by indians

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I think I've seen a picture of that. It's in The Book of Lists, but I'm not sure if it was I or II

20. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Pretty fuckin far away. Neanderthals did not get to north/south america.

Mostly Europa/Eurasia.

21. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Science/official history does not recognize Native oral "traditions". They also describe a genocide of red-haired white Giants whom ate their children whole. Cannot pick and choose what to believe. Personally I've found oral tradition can more reliable than some written history. Particularly when held by shamanistic elite.

22. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

yea true but egypt was far from peru but they both had pyramids?
    there must be some primative similarity. generaly cannibalism was customary with platform torture and wasn't for nourishment but to do with the spirit they consumed, there was even cases of waering flayed flesh for ceremony.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Off topic, but I always used to wonder why Christians eat the body and drink the blood of Christ.

Cannibalism due to necessity (ie starvation) is distinguished from ritualistic cannibalism, present in many cultures.

Some of them:

Others:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannibalism

Is it known if Neanderthal cannibalism was ritualistic?