Capital Punishment: Killing the Innocent

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by nicnacuk, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicnacuk Registered Member

Do you believe in Capital Punishment? Whether you do or don't, what are your views on this quote? Is acceptance of the death penalty also acceptance of killing innocent people?

"If you are for the death penalty you have to say we are going to lose innocent lives but it is worth it." (Richard Dieter, Director of the Death Penalty Information Center in Washington DC.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

I am against it

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sandy Banned Banned

We have discussed this ad nauseum. I support the death penalty for anyone proven guilty of hurting children, murder (ALL kinds except self-defense), terrorism, planned terrorism, traitors/treasonists, and for people with more than 3 strikes. There is NO good reason to let anyone continue to live in the USA who can't behave. They need to get the hell out or fry.

Enforce that and watch the liberal POS start behaving like human beings for a change.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

For the OP, please look up the similar thread ended a few weeks ago in the Ethics section. Anti-CP people's asses were beaten so hard that they are still recovering. All your questions and possible arguments were addressed there...

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The fundamental principle that civilization depends on for its survival is that no one may kill another person except in self defense against a direct threat of violence. To kill someone as "punishment" for a misdeed--any misdeed--is wrong for many reasons.
    • It's revenge, which is a Stone Age emotion that we have to outgrow (like religion).
    • It does not punish the perpetrator, who is now dead and has no feelings, but merely punishes those who loved him. This often escalates into an endless cycle of revenge like the one that virtually defines the Middle East: "Your great-great-granddaddy killed my great-great-granddaddy so I'm going to destroy your entire village." In fact this is how wars start.
    • It allows for no error correction. We're finding an alarming number of innocent people on Death Row now that DNA analysis has been invented. How many of them have we killed in error?
    There are no absolutes in life (including this one) so occasional exceptions must be granted. The obvious one today is a member of a terrorist organization. If you put him in prison his buddies will capture twenty of your people and threaten to kill them if you don't let him out. So you have to execute organized terrorists quickly, before their buddies can start taking hostages.

Other than that, it does more good to keep criminals in prison. Their children (and everyone else) have a constant reminder of what happens to a person who breaks the fundamental rule of civilization. If you kill them, all those children remember is that you're the bastard who killed their daddy. And everybody else gets the lesson that killing for revenge can be justified, so the rules of civilization are mutable. Bad lesson.

Sandy's example is bogus. If you want an illustration of what happens to a society when people in power assume the right to kill those who have wronged them, take a good look at Iraq. Civilization has for all practical purposes broken down and the country is back in the Stone Age.

Capital punishment is revenge and revenge has no place in a civilized society. Notice that the arguments for it are emotional and the arguments against it are rational. Little more need be said.

9. Kadark Banned Banned

You can't be serious. Revenge is an emotion that is going to be with man until the end of time. If you do harm to another, it is a natural, primal instinct for them to even the score with you. Trying to "remove" revenge is like trying to remove happiness, sadness, etc.

On the contrary, most of the cowards who commit crimes bad enough to warrant the capital punishment fear for their worthless life. It is the greatest punishment imaginable to have your life taken from you. What could be more valuable?

Who knows? This is precisely why you don't exercise the death penalty unless it falls under these categories: proven guilty without a shadow of a doubt (especially if caught on tape); a major event wherein plenty of eye-witnesses acclaim to the crime; a confession. If you follow these rigid rules, then the mistake count is going to become negligible.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

So you don't support killing people as a preventative measure ? Or do you count that as self-defense ?

11. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

You probably should look up the already mentioned thread.

Says who? Interestingly, I have found NONE of your reasons adequate. Says me. Objectively speaking there is NO good argument against CP.

So is hunger. Revenge is just a word, you should know, you are the linguistic expert. If you don't like it, use payback, you will fell more comfortable with it. Just like you expect to be paid for a work, criminals should expect to be paid for crimes. Equal pay for equal work, equal pay for equal crimes. Agree? Thanks...

See? We are already on the same side!!

You know what else does the same? Killing victims!! Yes, imagine that! Nobody brought back dead people so far, not even Jesus!!

Here is a better argument: I assume you don't advocate to give up cars. Every year 50 K (no shit!!!) people DIE in the USA, because our unwillingness to give up the automobile!!!

So if society can live with 50K innocent victims of the modern age annually, a few innocently executed is really nothing in the name of justice. I could have used modern medicine as another example, but you got the point...

OK, so since you are a reasonable fellow and you saw the logic in my arguments, I will take you as a person strongly in FAVOUR of CP!!!

Thanks for joining the dark side!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

So are a lot of emotions. That doesn't mean that we have to give into them. Do you indulge yourself in lust at the expense of violating your marriage vows? Do you eat until you weigh 700 pounds and can't get out the door to buy more food? Civilization has been a twelve-thousand year struggle to overcome our primitive emotions with learned and reasoned behavior. Homo sapiens is capable of doing this because of our uniquely large forebrain. It actually has the power to override instincts and emotions. We do it all the time. It's what distinguishes us from all the other animals. (Except dogs, to whom we have succeeded in imparting a modicum of this civilized morality, illustrating just how much the two species have in common.)

The two primitive emotions that have not been totally conquered which are causing civilization the most trouble today are revenge and religion. Since they are generally a package deal and religious people as a demographic believe in revenge more strongly than the rest of us, eliminating them together is a worthy goal and will make a quantum improvement in civilization.
    That's the "reasoning" of a four-year-old. "He took my truck so I had to hit him." Fortunately most of us grow up and develop civilized behaviors like deferred gratification and cost-benefit analysis, so the world is not run by people with the morality of four-year-olds. With a few regrettable exceptions.
    You obviously have not put a great deal of thought and study into this. Most murders, for example, are crimes of passion. The murderer is overcome with emotion and cannot think beyond the satisfaction of seeing his victim dead. Thoughts of consequences are far from his mind.
    Once again you make it clear that you're not much of an expert on this subject. Every parent reading this is about to jump up and proclaim that the greatest punishment imaginable is to have his children taken away, harmed or killed. Even those of us like myself who have no children have such a strong instinct for this that we'll sacrifice our lives to save someone else's child. To a slightly lesser extent, other family members fall into the same category. You would, I'm sure, step forward and plead with a robber, mafioso, terrorist or other scumbag to take your life in exchange for allowing your wife to live.

Terrorists base their activities on this principle. We feel outrage and indignation if they kill our soldiers or our political leaders. But if they kill our children, other family, and friends, they know that they can work us into an irrational frenzy. This can play right into their hands, as 9/11 caused America to irrationally destroy Iraq and motivate the world's one billion Muslims to hate us.

No, my friend, losing your life is by no means the ultimate punishment. It's the ones you have to live with that are the worst. To take this to its ugliest extreme, the best way to punish criminals would in fact be to kill their children! I have no doubt that there have been societies in human history who did just that.
    The standard of our legal system is "guilty beyond a reasonable doubt" and that is damn difficult to establish. "Beyond a shadow of a doubt" is impossible.
    You're joking. This is a science website, surely you understand how easy it is to falsify technology if you have enough money. The government has oodles of money; if they wanted to they could phony up evidence proving that you shot JFK.
    Have you never in your life served on a jury? Eyewitness testimony is notoriously unreliable. People see what they expect to see.
    I get it, this is a big joke. People falsely confess to crimes for many reasons. Common ones are desire for notoriety, saving a loved one, or being one enchilada short of a combination plate in the cranial department.
    Even if we assume that is a true statement for the sake of the argument, it is still better to keep the perps in prison than to kill them. It diminishes us all and makes each of us a little bit less civilized to indulge ourselves in the primitive satisfaction of revenge. Furthermore, every time the perp's children come to visit him they'll be reminded that their daddy was a bad man and went to prison for it, and it will help them understand right and wrong. If you kill their daddy they will be overcome with grief and the only lesson they will take into adulthood is that you're the bastard who killed their daddy.

You will have punished those children--who are probably innocent--in the worst possible way: by killing someone they love! It brings you down to the level of a terrorist, punishing the wrong people.

Again, I point out that the arguments against capital punishment are civilized and based on reason. The arguments for capital punishment are based on either emotion or, at best, woefully inadequate study and analysis of the issues involved.

13. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

People like to feel that justice has been done even if it hasn't.

14. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

I used to be pro death penalty. But study after study have shown that it does not act as a deterrent. If it is not a deterrent to crime, then vengeance is all that is left. A criminal justice system based on vengeance will fail, at least if the honest goal is to reduce crime, and to mitigate harm from the crime that will inevitably occur.

In the aftermath of WW-1, the desire for vengeance led to the punitive terms of the Treaty of Versailles. The reparations forced on Germany, and the crippling economic consequences of them, are generally agreed to have led to the conditions that allowed Hitler to rise to power. With this in mind, post WW-2 Germany was treated much differently, with much better results. The same lessons that we have learned when dealing with vanquished nations could often be applied on an individual basis. Though we seem to have learned better than to give in to our urge for revenge when it comes to foreign policy, we haven't when it comes to criminal justice.

And as I have pointed out in threads relating to capital punishment for child molesters, this incredibly short sighted thinking would give those who molest children a perverse incentive to kill their victims rather than letting them go. Dead children tell no tales.

And if you look at the statistics of the Innocence Project, you quickly lose confidence in the ability of prosecutors to separate the guilty from the innocent.

15. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

This thread is already boring and we are still just on the first page!!! Same old, same old. I wish I could just hear 1 (oh, please, just one) argument that I haven't refuted!!!

Well, I guess I won't hold my breath....

16. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

Revenge is not an emotion, it is an act. Until we as a species learn to express our emotions instead of turning them into violence, we are in for the messes we have today. And you're saying that revenge will always be with us is propaganda that makes it more likely for revenge to last. You really have no idea if that is true or not.

17. sandy Banned Banned

I stand by my post. I don't want to pay for POS trash that won't behave civilly.
    There should be a special place for all the losers of the world who won't be good members of society. Like Iran maybe. We can send all the people who have 3 strikes against them over there. Teach them a lesson.

I don't want my taxes from my hard-earned money going to pay for losers who are the scum of society. I'm tired of them and their bs. Fry 'em. Save us the money it costs to house/feed/medicate/take care of them/pay their dental/medical care etc...

People have to be responsible for themselves and quit expecting the government/society to take care of them.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Moderator note:

1. This is not the religion forum.

2. Address the topic not the poster.

Any breach will result in a one day ban for trolling or flaming, this is a warning.

-Sam

19. Kadark Banned Banned

I suppose I will alter my definition of “revenge” to suit sowhatifit’sdark’s suggestion. Revenge is not exactly an “emotion“, but rather an action, which is what defines it in the first place. More often than not, you’ll find this action is avoided on most levels by the majority of people. However, there most certainly are certain crimes that transgress all levels of tolerability; crimes that warrant no forgiveness or self-control of emotions in the pursuit of extracting revenge. What I’m saying is, of course we can control our urges to attain revenge, but a better question is, “why should we?” If the criminal didn’t control him or herself upon committing the crime, why should anyone feel obliged to have the courtesy in restraining themselves? Of course, keep in mind we are discussing the worst of crimes (rape, murder, etc).

I have a few problems with your sentiments here. Religion is not an emotion, and I truly have difficult comprehending as to what led to you believe it was. Next, why do you consider religion such a cumbersome burden? Are you so naïve as to believe that civilization’s difficulties today are rooted in religion? I personally think you’re too smart for something of that calibre, Fraggle. If you ask me, greediness and selfishness are the biggest obstacles to the quantum improvement in civilization that you envision.

You are misconstruing my reasoning. Working off your arbitrary example, my reaction to “he took my truck” would be “I’m taking it back”. Is this not justified? Also, would you be courteous enough to refrain from these subtle, tongue-in-cheek remarks on my behalf? Please show me the respect I’m showing you. If you truly consider my reasoning and intellect to resemble that of a four-year old, then it doesn’t speak much of yourself, seeing as you reply with lengthy posts to my comments.

It is the criminals fault for not taking the time to rationally select what options he had before him when dealing with whatever nuisance was on his mind. Why should somebody suffer the fate of death for the stupidity and irresponsibility of a criminal? They shouldn’t. If the criminal didn’t have the humanity in him to avoid pulling the trigger, then why should he expect better from those who intend to bring him to justice? Not punishing a criminal to full extent because they were not thinking of the “consequences” at the time is ridiculous, in my mind.

I’m a little confused here. Are you implying that killing the criminal’s kids would be more punishing to the criminal than actually killing him or her? Well, that may be true, but you’re going off topic with this. I’m strictly speaking about the direct punishment the criminal suffers - you’re diverging to something totally different, which I will not get into. The worst justifiable punishment a criminal him/herself can suffer is having their life taken way.

9/11 did nothing to influence the wagers of war, the head honchos, and general elite of the U.S.; they had this whole ordeal preplanned before the average American knew who OBL was. If you’re talking about the public that supported these aggressive actions, then I will agree that it was motivated wholeheartedly by 9/11. However, you’re speaking too broadly on this topic. Let’s minimize down to the individual level of the criminal. Due to the fact that they kill daughters, sons, husbands, wives, brothers, sisters, etc, they deserve to have done to them what they did to others. Is this not the most ideal of systems? Why should anyone radiate sympathy for you, when you did something so far from the realm of humanity?

Okay, well, based off basic morals and intuition, I can safely say that killing a criminal’s child is not a reasonable punishment. Killing a criminal who killed another person is the most common perception of justice. Tit for tat, as they say? Besides, even if the criminal isn’t executed, how will his or her family benefit when he or she is in prison until death? They won’t. No matter what happens to the criminal, other than forgiveness, the family is going to suffer. I suppose that is simply the misfortune that inevitably follows with being related to a deranged criminal.

Whatever is the closest to it, I would have employed. You cannot execute a criminal on the basis of shaky evidence.

That seems a little farfetched. Besides, I’m not talking about “hey-look-at-my-cell-phone-picture-of-a-UFO” type of graphical evidence.

Which is why the criminal is not murdered if the eyewitnesses report significantly different accounts of the story. This part is common sense. However, if a wide variety of people report a similar scenario, in addition to different bodies of supporting evidence, then in all likelihood, you have captured the right person.

Two points I will raise on this: 1) How often does this happen, statistically? 2) If a person is confessing, but never actually committed a crime, then how does the evidence somehow shift to convict him? If Johnny here raped and killed his victim, but the sperm found is not of his, then maybe something’s up with Johnny, right? What I’m saying is, investigations should not be halted simply because of confession. Merely, it should be taken into account when the final ruling is established.

Here’s where the wheels fall off for your argument. How can you possibly use the words “prison” and “civilized” in the same phrase? You think it’s “civilized” to keep somebody imprisoned like an animal until they rot? Wow, how “civilized”! No, prisons are not a good solution - in fact, they’re an outright awful solution. The only difference between prison and somebody who is executed (after completely proven guilty) is that they must spend decades in a closet-sized room for the rest of their life, thinking about what they’ve done, how they will never be freed, how their family and friends are doing, etc.

And taking their father away, only to send back his dead body thirty years later is better? Give me a break! Imprisoning a criminal until death is just as bad for his or her family as execution would be. In fact, it may be a little worse, knowing that your loved one is alive, but you’ll never be able to live your life with him or her. You’re trying to convince me your method is civilized, but I truly cannot embrace the civility in taking away a man’s freedom until the moment he dies.

The feeling’s mutual.

20. iceaura Valued Senior Member

That's no excuse for involving the government in one's primal instincts.

The government takes no revenge - it acts in cold blood, in the interests of the state. If you allow the government to kill its citizens, it will kill them in its own interests.

21. Kadark Banned Banned

If the citizens didn't kill each other, the government wouldn't be involved.

22. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I support the death penalty if it can be proven that those being executed are indeed the criminals

If one is a murderer, why should he be able to go free and live out the remainder of his life?
    If one is a child rapist.......well, that's simple enough to figure out.

Those people are animals who deserve only death.

23. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Revenge? This is about PUNISHMENT. And the only true punishment for murder and rape is death.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.