rust making

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by fusion4577, Feb 13, 2008.

1. fusion4577 insane, atheist, and not dead Registered Senior Member

i have vinger and salt water, any other way's to make rust fast:bugeye:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

hook it up to a battery???:shrug:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Wet down entire piece with chlorine bleach, sprinkle lightly with salt, and allow to sit until it dries. Spray the piece with water, but lightly so the dried salt/bleach mixture doesn't rinse off. Just wet the surface down. Let sit overnight.

The next morning, mix up a pint of FRESH hydrogen peroxide (standard 3% stuff found at drug stores) with a tablespoon of muriatic acid. Spray this mixture onto the piece. Allow to dry. Once dry, spray once more with this mixture. Let sit overnight.

Next morning, rinse completely with clean water, and you should have a decent rust by now. If there are areas that need more rusting, go back to step 5. Once you are happy with this rust, let it sit for a few days, lightly wetting the surface with water whenever it completely dries out. This will help the rust to really "set in" so it's not just a light surface rust that will brush off.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

http://magichammer.freeservers.com/creating__rust.htm

9. Quantic Registered Member

This way is fast and FUN! Items you will need:

leaf blower or vacuum cleaner with an exhaust outlet
    a piece of straight metal stove pipe
    lots of steel wool
    a bit of chicken wire to cover one end of the pipe

Outside on a non-flammable surface place the stove pipe, or just support the pipe some way on bricks, rock, etc. Pack the pipe with the steel wool (try to fluff up the wool a bit, or maybe unwind the wool pieces) and secure the wire mesh over one end of the pipe. On the open end of the pipe apply a flame to the steel wool and then direct a stream of air from the blower into the open end of the pipe.

Continue blowing air into the pipe until there is no more fire coming from the far end of the pipe.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Be careful and enjoy your iron oxide!

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Just use a leaf blower and blow the rust away, that's as fast as I've seen it go!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. draqon Banned Banned

expose to pure oxygen?

12. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

You planning on making thermite by any chance?

13. Positron Agony: Not all pain is gain Registered Senior Member

ah yes, thermite. I wouldn't advise it. You cannot stop a Thermite reaction, and its hot.

14. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Although it's pretty safe before being lit, in no normal circumstances is it going to be ignited by accident.

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

and what would be the use of it unlit?

16. Vinegar, Acetic Acid.
    Salt, I'll assume sodium-chloride.

Let us see. Rust=Ferrous and amounts of Oxygen.

Hmmm, try taking a standard nail, and a metal file. Grind viciously. Take the fine particles, allow them to moisten with the vinegar. It has liquid. As the new solution dries, it should yield some oxidation of the new form of the nail.

Add salt, for good measure, I guess.

17. Quoting: "ah yes, thermite. I wouldn't advise it. You cannot stop a Thermite reaction, and its hot."

Who wants to stop it?.. You can't stop an angry charging moose or grizzly neither, just as you can't stop while you are skydiving...

Thermite comes in very handy when you need to weld some steel, and don't have a welder handy...

______

If you want lots of rust, then just buy a new car, and drive it in the winter...

______

Yellow rust is from mite's pee... Seems spider mites like iron...

______

Cheapest way to get lots of rust is to setup a large container of water with an aquarium pump.. and fill it up with bits of scrap steel and iron.. add a teaspoon of HCL...

18. Although, thermite is an interesting combustible source. I'm afraid its name lends to the insect reference. Termites. And, the awareness anything can burn with a high range of heat.

Ever see those hoppin' far-crakers. Them there ground flowers. That spin wildly, not that, my friend, is where the thermite grenade is highly applicable.

Dispersion...

19. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

To have something to light.

I'm just saying that it's safe until lit, unlike a lot of high energy reactants.

20. Thermite=Reddish/Glowy/Faire. And, is quit smelled. It's original use is in fact to disinfect &! deoderize.

21. fishfool Registered Member

heheheheheheheh i found something but i will post 20 times first so i can post it!!!!

22. fishfool Registered Member

How To Make Thermite:

Now, I am not going to tell you guys what thermite is, or what you can do with it. Just do a Google search and you'll find tons of sites telling you a bunch of uses for it. I will however, tell you how to make the stuff.

Obtaining the Aluminum
    1) Go to a machine shop. They will usually give you aluminum powder for sweeping the floor or something.
    2) Break open an Etch-A-Sketch, the stuff inside is pure aluminum powder.
    3) Go to a paint store, they usually have powdered aluminum that people use to mix into paints to give it pigment.
    4) Get a grinder, and something made of aluminum. Good ideas are soda cans, bike frames, and lacrosse sticks. Start grinding the aluminum and collect the sparks in a container.
    5) Search eBay, they sell it for pretty cheap.

Obtaining the Iron Oxide (Rust)
    1) Take some steel wool then put it in a jar and then cover it wool with water. Use a magnet to make sure the steel wool doesnt float during the reaction process. Next, put in 5 tablespoons of regular bleach into the water and 5 tablespoons of regular vinager. Wait a day or so and then filter the brown paste with a coffee filter. Leave it out to dry overnight.
    2) Go to a paint store, they usually have powdered iron oxide that people use to mix into paints to give it pigment.
    3) Connect wires to a direct current (9-volt battery), strip both ends and put them into a saltwater solution. Let them sit for five minutes. One of them will start bubbling more than the other. This is the POSITIVE(+) wire. Put a nail tied to the positive wire into the jar. Now put the negative wire in the other end. Now let it sit overnight and in the morning scrape the rust off of the nail & repeat until you have a bunch of rust on the bottom of the glass. Let it dry out, and crush it into a powder.
    4) Search eBay, they sell it for pretty cheap.

Mixing the Stuff
    Thermite is 8 grams of iron oxide to 3 grams of aluminum. The formula is by weight but because aluminum is very light, it will appear to be approximately a 50-50 mix. Put them together in a container and mix them until it is an even mixture. If you want, mix four parts thermite with one part clay or Play-Doh and knead thoroughly for moldable thermite.

Igniting
    Thermite needs a lot of heat to light, that means magnesium. Find some magnesium ribbon, or a sparkler that contains magnesium and put it into a pile of thermite. Light it with a torch, and run!

References:
    -- www.rotteneggs.com
    -- The Anarchist's Cookbook

got that from http://how2dostuff.blogspot.com/2006/01/how-to-make-thermite.html

veddy veddy interesting (said while twirling imaginary villain mustache) - -Fishfool @ The Reef Tank