The EVE Thread

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Stryder, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I thought I was create a thread, just for those that have played, are playing or might get round to joining EVE online.

EVE's grown from the days where it use to max out at about 12,000 users online to upto around 36,000 currently. Thats 36,000 people (well characters) all in the same universe at the same time... and it's a big universe. (This is a technical advantage of using Stackless Python)

If any of the Sciforumer's that play have some stunning snapshots of recent events in EVE feel free to post them here in this thread, This thread will be linked to the Games Thread index.

Btw, you can find me by checking the Bio of Stryder Unknown, it points you at my main character in game. (I decided not to play as Stryder, for now at least)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Would love to play again, but real life is eating up my free time right now. And my shoddy unstable internet connection doesn't help things either. The line is so bad the street lights are actually causing my modem to lose sync randomly

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I still have screenshots from the CA/SA war on my hard drive. The golden years of EVE, before all the POS/capital ship malarky.

I made a few videos of EVE some time ago, if anyone's interested in seeing what it's like.

Exploration when it was first added
    Actions shots of the Stain Alliance team in one of the alliance tournaments
    MASS corp video (hope it's the right link)

Hows the big war against BoB going?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

BoB's not as big as it once was. We went on a Corp Booze cruise the other night, which basically meant ten very drunk people cruising around BoB territory looking for hit and run potentials. We attempt to intercept a few, but in the end we got out of there when a BoB 'Blob' appeared (The whole of local suddenly went very Red).

I can't say how the BoB guy's are doing, but from our end they've been losing a lot of territory.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

I see MC has abandoned them, bit of a funny twist. Interesting times. I wonder what BoB will do after they lose their space, I imagine they could be a royal pain doing guerilla warfare in Coalition space.

I was there until Coalition reached Feythabolis, with only RISE still giving us trouble. What happened to FIX? Looks like they were steam rolled in less than a month.

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Most Alliances have altered in shape as they've been rolled into other alliances by name. Some corporations also shifted sides once or twice (or more than that)

http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/CRII/Latest.png

This should give you an idea of what's going on, if you hadn't already found it.

9. draqon Banned Banned

it costs per months, ain't it? Plus I simply don't have that sort of time...

10. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

I got fairly far in the game but got just sick of it eventually. It got to where I was deciding between letting the thing mine for an hour, playing the same missions for an hour, or trying to find an unexploited complex for an hour, and it just... got... so.... damned... boring... I admit the game was alot more fun when I was in a corp and I had time to participate in it and all, but then they liquidated and, well, after taking a few month hiatus from the game, I return to have any corp turn me down for not being active recently.

But yeah, it's a fun game when you get involved, I just never had the time to really get THAT into it I suppose.

11. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

You didn't buy PotBS?

12. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

13. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

I went to your character screen, but there is no biography... What's the name of your main? you can contact me at Ikonz. I'm currently into this cool thing called RvB, Red vs Blue, 2 permanently wardecced corps fighting in empire. So if you're looking for some pvp, message me and I'll hook you up. Or any sciforums member for that matter.

14. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I had to pull the plug on EVE for a bit, it's a damn shame since I'd just trained for a HI (Heavy Interdictor) an relevant Jamming capabilities. The problem is the real world has more important things to deal with and unfortunately I'm having to play stuffed shirt to the fact.

15. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

Oh that sucks, when you get back into the game message me, I can probably help you guys out on a few fronts and we can just have some fun pew pewing other people or each other.

As for bob, they are getting annihilated, losing lots of space. But now theres kind of a halt to their loss of space, they're backed against a wall and are giving it everything they got... As of now it's basically just about every 0.0 alliance vs BoB. I think one of their biggest mistakes was letting their allies get steamrolled by rsf and bad mouthing Mercenary Coalition. Don't mess with MC... they basically have nothing to lose, and if you attack their space bad enough they'll just move to another space and use guerilla warfare with tons of motherships and carriers etc.

16. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

This thing looks great but huge. The potential is huge. If only it didn't cost to play.

17. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

You can, just pay 1 time to make an account, then quickly train your character to do missions, do missions for like 5-7 hours, use in game money to buy a game time card from somebody that has bought it with real money. Done. Play for the rest of the month, repeat. Or find a better source of income, theres lots of easier ways to get that much money but you have to understand the game mechanics and the Eve economy first. I find it's way more sophisticated than most other games.

18. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Yeah buying time cards with ingame cash is the best way. It's hard at first to make enough isk but it just gets easier as you go. I don't know how the situation is with exploration right now but earlier I could make 350 mil off a single hacking exploration site and that paid for 90 days.

19. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

350 mil?! damn that's a lot from one exploration site. Or were those high returns rare? How long did it take you average to find one and exploit it? Which region/constellation was it in? When?

20. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I might try the 14 day trial in the holidays.
    It is incredibly sophisticated, and I don't even pretend to know what it's about. it's like Freelancer to the next extreme.

21. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

For when you do, write down my in-game name Ikonz and mention that your challenger87 from sciforums. I can give you a kick start with some isk and experience.

22. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

This was about 2 months after the hacking and arch sites were introduced. One Ship Data Interface sold for 300-350 mil, I'm sure the prices have come down since then, and this was in Angel 0.0 (Cache specifically).

The thing that really pissed me off was the Tech 2 lottery, giving out BPO's to a select few was basically giving them an ISK printing machine. Those lucky enough to get a ship bpo practically became billionaires overnight, and now most bp's have made their way into the hands of a few people who are beyond rich. Just like in real life I guess. It's amazing how much the economy and politics in the game mirror the real world after the devs just left them to their own devices.

23. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

I wonder why eve is so popular on sciforums (relatively), since compared to other mmo's, eve has little players. Compare that to the amount of active sciforum members that read this section.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.