10 Most Bizarre Scientific Papers

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by sandy, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandy Banned Banned

Some of the 10:

The Effect of Country Music on Suicide

Love and Sex with Robots

Rectal Foreign Bodies: Case Reports and a Comprehensive Review of the World's Literature

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Chickens Prefer Beautiful Humans

Safe and Painless Manipulation of Penile Zipper Entrapment

Farting as a Defence Against Unspeakable Dread

Impact of Wet Underwear on Thermoregulatory Responses and Thermal Comfort in the Cold....

http://oddee.com/item_90683.aspx

Pretty funny.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

where do they get the money for these studies?!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sandy Banned Banned

Government? Private? Dunno. I think some of them are pretty funny though.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I wonder who the lucky guy was who had to count pelvic thrusts.

Study Reveals Why Monkeys Shout During Sex

Female monkeys may shout during sex to help their male partners climax, research now reveals.

Without these yells, male Barbary macaques almost never ejaculated, scientists found.

Female monkeys often utter loud, distinctive calls before, during or after sex. Their exact function, if any, has remained heavily debated.

To investigate the purpose behind these calls, scientists at the German Primate Center in Göttingen focused on Barbary macaques for two years in a nature reserve in Gibraltar.

The researchers found that females yelled during 86 percent of all sexual encounters. When females shouted, males ejaculated 59 percent of the time.

However, when females did not holler, males ejaculated less than 2 percent of the time.

To see if yelling resulted from how vigorous the sex was, the scientists counted the number of pelvic thrusts males gave and timed when they happened....

8. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Wish I'd read that one before I tore my frenulum in half.

9. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

shit like this is why the goverment is in debt not the so called "entitlement" programs

10. sandy Banned Banned

I know. Isn't that a hoot?

11. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Unfortunately I think that a lot of the grant programs wind up paying scientists to chase each other in circles and play upskirt games.

12. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

what i want to know is how the fuck do you do a scientific expierment for some of these things

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

14. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

15. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Now, how'd you get the beans above the frank?

You probably wouldn't say that if it ever happened to you or your child.

16. zephir Banned Banned

Such pelvic movement theory isn't yet complete. The male penis has not just the function of sperm feeding, but the removal of the older one from vagina, too (its glans have shape of scraper). But such function of penis requires more pelvic thrusts, then just a few ones. By such way, even the promiscuitive female can control the fertilization probability by particular male "at run time" simply by prolonging of copulation length & intensity. Conversely, the sexual screaming increases the female fitness and attractiveness for males. Such connections therefore have many further consequences of sexual life, not just at the case of monkeys, indeed.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The government is hardly the only source of research funding in America. Every university has an enormous amount of private endowments from alumni associations, the estates of deceased alumni, businesses, and charitable and fraternal organizations. Many of them come with very specific instructions as to how the money must be spent. People write some pretty crazy stuff into their wills as they get older. Some professors and some university science departments have policies to support students' requests to perform what we regard as silly research, because their interest in the silly subject matter will cause them to approach the assignment with concentration and energy, and in the process they will learn how to practice good science. Some of these studies didn't cost very much, so I'm not ready to dismiss their strategy.
    The scientific method requires only that a theory be logically derived from empirical observations. Those observations can be of naturally occurring events, they do not have to be staged by experimentation. Furthermore, science places no limitations on the subject matter of a theory, so long as it conforms to the basic premise of science that the natural universe is a closed system which can be understood and predicted. Finally, some of this "scientific" research veers off into the "soft sciences" like anthropology and psychology. The rules are interpreted more loosely in those discplines and many of their theories are simply models.

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

???? should I be creeped out that you know this??

19. [a-5] Sex machine, coin operated. Registered Senior Member

...Hey, he's right.

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

should I be creeped out that you know he's right?

21. [a-5] Sex machine, coin operated. Registered Senior Member

22. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

How did they miss these IgNobel winners?

"Sword Swallowing and Its Side Effects," Brian Witcombe and Dan Meyer, British Medical Journal, December 23, 2006, vol. 333, pp. 1285-7.
    'Nuff said.

"Novel Production Method for Plant Polyphenol from Livestock Excrement Using Subcritical Water Reaction," Mayu Yamamoto, International Medical Center of Japan.
    Polyphenol is the chemical name for vanillin -- the chief artificial ingredient in not-all-natural vanilla ice cream. I for one will pass on the Yum-A-Moto Vanilla Twist.

"Effects of Backward Speech and Speaker Variability in Language Discrimination by Rats," Juan M. Toro, Josep B. Trobalon and Núria Sebastián-Gallés, Journal of Experimental Psychology: Animal Behavior Processes, vol. 31, no. 1, January 2005, pp 95-100
    Rats sometimes cannot tell the difference between a person speaking Japanese backwards and a person speaking Dutch backwards.

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Hey, isn't the past tense of "creep" supposed to be "crept"? To be "crept out"... well that way it sounds even... creepier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.