Sperm Bank: all sperm posts here

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by spuriousmonkey, Oct 18, 2007.

1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Introduction

Scientists claim that they can make sperm out of bone marrow stem cells.

Results

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

discussion

Is that moral since God intended his creations to make sperm with their testicles or equivalent structures?

And do we believe these scientists who will claim anything to get on the frontpage of a internet site.

And would it be possible one day for a woman to grow her own sperm?

references:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6547675.stm
    sperm

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2007
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Is that moral since God intended his creations to make sperm with their testicles or equivalent structures?
    I don't see why not.
    God ?

And do we believe these scientists who will claim anything to get on the frontpage of a internet site.
    Time will tell I guess.

And would it be possible one day for a woman to grow her own sperm?
    Now that would be immoral. They could do away with us

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

First, you have to actually believe that God exists to ask that question.
    I don't, so let them have at it. It might allow infertile men or men with low sperm counts to actually be a dad, or...
    It will leave men obsolete and women will be on the planet here all by themselves with no one else but themselves to blabber incessantly to.
    And w/o men, they'll have to find something else to compete for and act catty over.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

It's a story from april, so time has spoken. Do tell.

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I mean when it gets into practice we'll know how well it works.

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

yeah, but should we let it go into practice?

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Probably not. I expect a similar success rate as with cloning, so it would be immoral to do so.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Some egomaniac will substitute his sperm for everyone elses and everyone will end up marrying their siblings.

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

What if scientists would invent cloning one day?

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

If it is ever put into practice it should be restricted to couples that can't have kids themselves. So the bone marrow stem cells of the father are taken and 'converted' to sperm cells.

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Do I sense sarcasm ?

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

boar semen

Boar Sperm

Introduction

Boars are a kind of mammal. That means that they have fur, mammary glands and give life-birth, although some freak mammals lay eggs. Because they live in australia and there are many freaks there.

Boars live in many places, but preferably in the forest.

Male boars have testicles which are little factories hanging outside the body in a sack (nut sack in colloquial english) that produce sperm.

Later some stuff is added to the sperm turning it into semen. This semen is ejaculated from the penis usually into a vagina for the purpose of fertilizing eggs.

Needless to say it is important to fertilize eggs for the future of boarkind and hence the study of boar semen is incredibly important in this respect.

Methods

Boar semen was collected and frozen in a special substance consisting of ostrich egg yolk lipoprotein fractions. Ostriches are birds and not mammals, although they cannot fly. It was then injected into female boars, which are called cows. No... sows!

results
    The frozen boar semen in the ostrich milkshake like supplement was succefully injected into sows and ...tada...they got pregnant from it.

discussion

It is very good that boar semen can be frozen because wild boars are very important for the maintenance of the forest and they also taste good.

There were some slight problems with variation. Not all fertilization went so well. It is not sure if that is because the sows were missing out on the foreplay of the boars, the researchers had cold hands, or the ostrich milkshake was not optimal as a supplement.

Further studies are needed.

References

Fraser L, Strzezek R, Strzezek J. (2007) Fertilizing capacity of boar semen frozen in an extender supplemented with ostrich egg yolk lipoprotein. Pol J Vet Sci. 10(3):131-5.

Questions

Is it ethical to interfer with the natural matings of the boar in his forest?
    Was the idea to use ostrich supplements a reasonable idea?
    How is the boar doing in your country?
    And should science concentrate on human research instead of messing with animals?

And maybe you have still more ideas on this interesting topic regarding boar semen, based on a peer-reviewed article.

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

threat to sperm counters all over the world

Automated Sperm cunting

In our modern society we lose track more and more of the common man who needs a job to provide for his wife and children. Not even the noble field of science or the even more moral field of medical industry is nowadays escaping from the trap of automation.

My eye fell on an article that will be the kick of death to many sperm counters world wide.

A research group is automating the sperm counting, which is normally a very laborious process- read: it provides for jobs for Americans and other races (According to James R American is a race - complain to him. I don't want another infraction for posting reality).

And their preliminary study shows that it works quite decently:

Carrell DT, Emery BR. Use of automated imaging and analysis technology for the detection of aneuploidy in human sperm. Fertil Steril. 2007 Oct 11; [Epub ahead of print]

Should we do something about it? And do these researchers have no shame?

17. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Sperm counting is demeaning.

18. superstring01 Moderator

Interesting.

I've noticed a few posts that have a "semenal" theme to them. Porquoi?

~String

19. superstring01 Moderator

Generally, if I have to have any contact with semen, it's the human variety that I prefer.

That said, however, I was merely asking why there was such an interest. It's a fascinating topic, and your little prose there was certainly compelling.

I was just wondering. That's all.

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I was wondering, instead of collecting the semen and inseminating, why don't they just capture the males and move them around to different areas, stirring up the gene pool that way?

21. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

What, and take the scientist's fun away.

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Is it cheaper/easier collecting the animals instead of moving them?

23. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

I think it's easier to let them have their piggy way with each other.