crossbreeding plants

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by JuRtLy, Sep 7, 2007.

1. JuRtLy The JuRtLy Registered Senior Member

im not sure if theres a specific subthread for this so ima try here

I was thinking with a friend about crossbreeding plants and i wanted to see if anyone had any info on it, i assume that its possible but i need to know if possible between a marijuana plant and another type of flower or weeds.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Yes, please try marijuana and poison ivy. I double dog dare ya.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. JuRtLy The JuRtLy Registered Senior Member

don't be assholes about it, im asking as a serious question seriously

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The same rules apply to hybridizing plant species as hybridizing animal species: They have to be members of the same genus. You can crossbreed a lion, Panthera leo, with a tiger, Panthera tigris (well you have to use AI but the zygote is viable), but you cannot crossbreed either of them with a cougar, Felis concolor. The chromosomes don't match up well enough to create a living embryo.

The same is true of plants. Marijuana is Cannabis sativa and people can and do hybridize it with Cannabis indica. I'm hardly a zoologist and I'm certainly no botanist, so I don't know if there are other species within that genus. I'll leave it as an exercise for you to look it up in Wikipedia, I'm sure their article on Cannabis has had ten thousand contributions and is astoundingly complete, detailed and accurate. But there's no way you can hybridize it with a plant from another genus, much less another family. Poison ivy isn't even a grass so it's probably not even in the same order.

Kingdom--> Phylum--> Class--> Order--> Family--> Genus--> species.

Animalia--> Vertebrata--> Mammalia--> Carnivora--> Felidae--> Panthera--> tigris

I'll let you draw the chart for Cannabis sativa.

8. DwayneD.L.Rabon Registered Senior Member

It is possible to graft, various fruit bearing branches to a single tree, for example a pear branch and a cherry branch,lemon branch and orange branch can be grafted to a apple tree and the the tree will grow and give 5 different fruit.

DwayneD.L.Rabon

9. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

I am certain that some of the best botanical pothead minds have been working on this idea for decades but without any breakthroughs. I read somewhere that you can graft marijuana branches onto hop stems, or maybe it's the other way round, but the end result is that if you want marijuana, the final plant is going to look like marijuana.

10. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I suppose someone could put the gene for producing cannabinoids into another organism.
    Say it was a Goat. You could just drink the milk.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I can see them at their yearly conference: "Dude!...like..I totally almost had it...but I like..zoned, and ordered pizza instead."

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

"Whoa man! That's some good goat!"

13. maxg Registered Senior Member

I'll reproduce the text from this text from a dutch ganja site since the site is down & I had to use the cached version:

I would also not try "smoking any plant's leaves" since it's possible they might give you more than a "slight buzz."

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007