Not Acknowledging the Theory of Evolution

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by PsychoticEpisode, Mar 23, 2007.

1. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Why does the bible not acknowledge the theory of evolution? Please don't inundate these pages with bible interpretations that show evolution was a bad thing yet to come.

Was there not enough scientific knowledge, research or data? Was it unthinkable for that era? If it wasn't then did the church use its might to squash it? Not like they've done anything similar before. If ancient scribes had the evidence of today or a 100 years from now would the creation story get top billing?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

The creation story would still get top billing, but they would be forced to push on until there is mystery. We know evolution is true, we are not sure how it started but know it goes back to a chemical molecular level... so still we have no room for god. So we go back to the 'creation' of the Earth... damn we solved that too... The sun? Damn. The Solar system? Nope... The galaxy? Nope we have a good idea about that too... The universe? Now we're talking! But from the above list, we should go along with the same assumptions that there is a process not involving an intelligent designer.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Not that I am a follower of Abrahamic treligions, but there is no valid reason to insist that one can not follow the teachings in the Bible and still accept that evolution is a fact of nature.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. grover Registered Senior Member

Kenny JC,
    Why?
    You're stating that since we know
    how certain things came about that for some reason also applies to why there is something rather than nothing.

Good logic there...

8. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

1 raven: Technically there isn't (i think), however many of the religious leaders brand evolution as heresy and a direct challenge against their gods.

9. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

What makes you think there is a 'why'?

10. grover Registered Senior Member

I was asking you why this statement you made should be true: "we should go along with the same assumptions that there is a process not involving an intelligent designer." So, I'll ask again, why?

11. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

You asked me why there is something rather than nothing, and I replied why is there a 'why'?

As for 'we should go along with the same assumptions', we are just going by experience. We once thought life itself was divinely created. We then discovered masses of concrete proof that this did not happen (at least not the way people thought for thousands of years)... So once again the role of god is reduced, and I suspect reduced to a point where its existence is impossible/pointless. I think the existence of the universe will follow the same 'atheistic' path as evolution.

12. lightgigantic Banned Banned

well given that there is no empirical evidence (particularly for macro-evolution, which is the gist of your stab at creation) to take the theory to a higher stance of credibility, it should be obvious

13. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Whos understanding of "macro evolution" are you using? Yours/theists or sciences? (they're not the same)

14. lightgigantic Banned Banned

science's of course

15. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

16. lightgigantic Banned Banned

the question is whether these are tentative suggestions or claims backed up by someone from the position of direct perception

If it is merely a tentative suggestion, then at the very least it opens the way for further tentative suggestions (would you agree that science becomes potent - or more greatly potent - when it operates out of direct perception? That is when claims become capable of being evidenced and repeated rather than suggested)

17. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Lightgigantic:

Clearly, you are correct that observable science is far better than science detailed from the archaeological record. However, it is beyond our ken to evaluate claims such as these from that platform, and therefore must put forth ideas of evolution from the prevailing evidence which does show a marked increase in sophistication and diversification of life, including some well established lineages, which are further bolstered by the difference in DNA between current day animals.

For instance, that humans and chimp DNA are 99 percent identical indicates well that they only recently branched off from a parent species.

Moreover, I think it is theoretically within the limits of eugenics to speciate rapidly-breeding organisms within a human lifespan. If they haven't all ready done that through creating non-fertile offspring producing microorganisms, I would definitely suggest they do so.

18. Nutter Shake it loose, baby! Registered Senior Member

Because it is not important.

19. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Kindly define it for me. Thanks.

20. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

Those who deny the theory of evolution can deny the theory of gravity on the same grounds. I think we should give those who disbelieve in evolution a practical experience in scientific theory

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

The Vatican accepts the theory of evolution.

22. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: The Vatican also promotes sun worship (even if they won't admit it).

23. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

So why not join the Catholic church again, Med Woman, where you can practice "sun worshp."