Learn to write Arabic!

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by Athelwulf, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I've found this very helpful, interactive Flash thing that shows you how to write Arabic.

http://www.arabacademy.com/download/alphabetwed7introchange5.swf

I've also checked out a book at the library, Very Simple Arabic Script, by James Peters. Arabic writing looked intimidating to me, but after looking through this book, I've found that it's actually quite logical.

I think I would like to learn Arabic, but it means a lot of dedicated effort to learning that I don't think I could reasonably devote right now. There's also the fact that I wanna learn so many languages that it's probably too many.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

If only I had access to a course for Arabic. But oh well.

Tell me what you think of that link.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2007
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its a good way to familiarise yourself with the alphabet, but you do realise that for cursive the alphabets are written slightly differeently based on what precedes or follows them?

Here is some more information:

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/arabic.htm

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

No wonder so many Muslims commit suicide.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its a phonetic language and easier than English.

The grammar is similar to French grammar; the only adjustment is writing right to left instead of left to right.

8. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Whats the point? In a couple of decades we'll all be speaking chinese....

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The calligraphy looks awesome?

10. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Is there any way I could "fake it" and use arabic letters to wrte instead of the nomal letters I use in English? Really what I mean is a 1-1 mapping of A-Z with arabic letters? I could write something in English, re-write is backwards, then replace each letter with a corresponding arabic letter?

I know that's not arabic but I thought it might impress people into thinking I know arabic when in fact I don't.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You could also try using an English to Arabic translator.

12. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

No.. that doesn't count. I want to make it seem like I can write something "on the spot." But really, I don't know anything about arabic vocabulary or grammar.

It would be like a cipher thing... replace each letter with something else.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Sorry cannot help you there.

Here are some simple sites for basic vocab and grammar though

http://www.toasterhead.net/arabic/

http://www.geckil.com/~harvest/arabic/index.html

This one is more fun but you need to know how to say the words in Arabic (ie the sounds of each word)

http://www.languageguide.org/arabic/

14. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Here is a nut that needs a' crackin, have gotten no response from the saudi forums I tried.
    How do I write "allah molests children"??

It's for a joke card I want to send to some very religious muslim friends of mine.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Just say it in English or whatever the local language is. That way you can be sure they get it.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

17. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Devnagarri looks cooler

18. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

absolutely.
    i taught myself in less than six months.

ive forgotten ALOT, due to not practicing, but i remember how easy it was to pick up.

19. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Yup. It's really interesting. And I like how each of the letters have basic characteristics that make it obviously different from any other letter if you know what the characteristics are. I suppose one couldn't expect it to be any other way, but yeah.

That drawing says something?

That's really awesome.

Any one way of making a written representation of a language loosely based on sounds is just as good as any other. There are 28 distinct, basic letters in the Arabic alphabet if I count correctly, plus some extra, modified letters, so there are enough to assign to each Latin letter.

However, if you care about corresponding each Arabic letter to a Latin letter that makes a similar pronunciation, you'd have a tough time with the vowels. Only one Arabic letter is a true vowel as far as I know, 'alif. They have other ways of indicating vowels, if they do it at all. But then I guess it's kinda pointless to worry about similarities of sound.

What's very amazing about Arabic and all other Semitic languages, such as Hebrew, is their unique way of making words out of basic three-consonant roots, which seems to effectively make it pointless to indicate vowels (unless you're a poor learner).

For example, the root KTB. It's concerned with "writing". Add vowels and affixes around this root and you can make a bunch of words concerned with "writing": kataba "to write"; kitaab "a book"; maktab "an office"; maktaba "a library/bookstore"; mukaatib "a reporter"; maktuub "a letter"; and so on.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

That's why its so easy to learn, if you know the roots and how they are represented in different ways, you can recognise words you don't even know.

21. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Is there a pattern in adding vowels to these roots, such that you can predict what a word with a certain intended meaning might be, and actually get it right?

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yes, isn't it? That one was too difficult for me to read, but this one here is the shahada:

* أشهد أن] لا إله إلاَّ الله و [أشهد أن ] محمد رسول الله ]

['ašhadu 'an] lā ilāha illā-llāh, wa ['ašhadu 'anna] muħammadan rasūlu-llāh

Which means: [ I testify that ] There is no God but God, and Muhammad is his prophet.