Global Warming on Mars

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Buffalo Roam, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

For all you people who want to blame the global warming on the U.S. explain why the Ice caps on Mars are shrinking just like ours, could it be that the normal cycle of warming and cooling is taking place in our solar system and that there is not a dam thing we can do about it?

Mars Is Warming, NASA Scientists Report - by James M. Taylor - The ...
    The shrinking is substantial. According to Michael Malin, principal investigator for the Mars Orbiter Camera, the polar ice cap is shrinking at "a ...
    http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=17977

Mars Is Warming, NASA Scientists Report - by James M. Taylor - The ...
    The planet Mars is undergoing significant global warming, new data from the ... investigator for the Mars Orbiter Camera, the polar ice cap is shrinking at ...
    http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=17977

The Enterprise Mission
    The two articles show that the Martian polar ice caps -- once thought to be ... The fact that Earth and Mars are warming currently (dissipating more ...
    http://www.enterprisemission.com/warming.htm

Little David: Global Warming and Mars
    Hmm, there is evidence of climate change on Mars. What type of climate change? It appears to be "Global Warming" with the polar ice caps shrinking. ...
    http://littledavidobermark.blogspot.com/2006/11/global-warming-and-mars.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Free_Matt_417 The CIA took my baby away Registered Senior Member

Hmm, maybe Mars is getting warmer, but maybe our warming has nothing to do with theres.

Maybe the sun is getting warmer, and we needa abandon ship and jump back a planet

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

hahaha

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

Its a seasonal thing on Mars....North polar frozen H2O subsides...meanwhile South polar CO2 dry ice resides...and so on. Not cause of global warming.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

While some of the facts stated in the articles are probably true, the conclusions of actual scientists were not definitive. One article was followed by a conspiracy theory on chemtrails, so it loses some credibility there.

8. draqon Banned Banned

I only trust NASA, ESA, and Roskosmos ...and perhaps some Univ. sponsored topics on this issue. Come to believe the info credibility.

www.nasa.gov
    www.esa.int
    www.federalspace.ru

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It is possible that the sun is giving out more energy, but since Earth's evaporation rates have decreased to to the dimming effect of pollution, and our atmosphere is heating up anyway, that would seem to discount the idea that the sun's variation in output is a contributing factor.

10. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

Did you think before you posted that? You are obviously incredibly ********, so I ask you: If you hear about a threat to all life on the planet, could it be that you should inform yourself before actively trying to dismiss it? I'd really be interested to know.

Our warming problem comes from the atmosphere thickening. AFAIK Mars has a thin atmosphere, so the comparison is very poor.

The normal cycle of global warming is irrelevant to our problem. The temperature cycles of warming never got so high as they are today. The warming cycles ALL correlated with CO2 levels, and now our CO2 levels are off the charts.

The correlation is so close and never deviated in the history of earth (or however far back has been measured). If you say correlation does not = causation, don't worry. We can actually explain why it correlates: it thickens the atmosphere and traps heat. None of this is in dispute.

Nor is the fact that we are causing the build up of CO2. You can look back at the CO2 levels cycles before the industrial revolution. It never went very high, but after the industrial revolution, it practically goes straight up.

Besides the carbon we directly release into the atmosphere, the warming from that causes a number of positive feedback cases. E.G. Ice melts and releases CO2 trapped in permafrost. Ice melts and no longer reflects sun light back out. The warmer temperatures kill our photosynthetic CO2 consumers, particularly in the ocean. Not to mention we are also cutting down the rain forests and killing CO2 consumers by pollution. There are more positive feedback cases.

And to answer your final statement, there are things we can do about it. Right now. Without even developing alternative energy. Al Gore believes we can reduce CO2 emissions to 1970 levels right now. If you or anyone else says that will hurt the economy, it would be pure speculation. First, if it is between the earth and the economy, I think you can do the math. Which is more valuable. Second, environmentally friendly policies are likely to create industry and be a gain to the economy. For example, foreign auto companies, who have been putting American companies to shame profit wise, are the ones who are making environmentally friendly products.

Since you are too lazy to inform yourself a crisis where lives are at stake, potentially yours, if you are young enough, I doubt you read anything I posted.

So I'll summarize:

1. Mars is irrelevant.
    2. Global warming going on now is not natural or cyclical, it is caused by humans.
    3. We can do "a damn thing about it", we could start fixing it right now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2007
  11. draqon Banned Banned

the sun goes through 11-year cycle of radiation emittance, on a human micro-scale the sun emittance of energy hasnt changed, on a global scale...the hydrogen slowly converted to helium cooling off the star and expanding it.

12. draqon Banned Banned

With all due respect, Mars is not irrelevant.

13. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

I assume you are deliberately taking what I said out of context. For a lot of things, Mars is not irrelevant. To a productive discussion about global warming on earth, it is.

14. draqon Banned Banned

this thread is about a supposevly global warming on Mars and not on Earth.
    I personally dont see anything proving existence of global warming on Mars...since the 95% CO2 atmosphere is way to cold to do much of a global warming and too thin.

anyways greenhouse global warming on Mars could make the place more amiable for astronaut colonists.

15. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

Looked to me like Mars was just a tool to discuss warming on earth.

16. draqon Banned Banned

Earth has got humans to blame for global warming. Sooner or later the the escalade of temperature variations will cause much distress that will lead to many problems but mainly speed up the process of space exploration...I hope. As for Earth...USA and Australia havent adapted Kyoto protocol...they are to blame 4 the upcoming Apocalypse.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The escalade? That's what got us into this mess in the first place!

18. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

Unlike you, perhaps, most of us like Earth

Have you given in to the idea of people ignoring the threat until it is too late, or it being unfixable for other reasons? If so, please inform us.

I'd assume space travel is more problematic than taking care of earth. What could we do with space travel before the onset of the upcoming apocalypse?

19. draqon Banned Banned

Invest in NASA many times more than we do now....sponsor missions like Orion to moon and speed up mission to Mars. Encourage and greatly financially support private companies like Scaled Composites (SpaceShipOne) and Bigelow (inflatable spaceships). Fund increase in universities space related project sector. Lockheed Martin isnt worth the trouble *(God I hope noone related to Lockeed is reading this). We need to embrace radical designs rather than the ongoing NASA strategy which is: use what has been proven itself to work. Radical designs like space elevator and like air breathing high velocity spaceships with plasma technology.

20. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

I'm guessing you brought up space travel because it is a way the species could continue. Will these things give us much of a chance of some of us surviving outside of Earth?

21. draqon Banned Banned

well...lemme see...."duh"....yeah sure they will.

22. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

Well, how would we do that? Live on Mars? I'm ignorant on theories in this department. Where could we find a suitable and sustainable environment?

23. draqon Banned Banned

the ISS has developed a sustainable environment already...yes they need food and O2...but the cycle can be locked with in-situ concepts like use of solid oxide electrolysis (moon) , plain electrolysis to get oxygen out of water (space) and photosynthesis (space).

and

growing food in space.

Mars has many resources for Life Suporting System In-situ utilization. Martian soil reach in magnesium can be used to burn with carbon dioxide for power. Martian water ice can be used for liquid water (plants) (food) and electrolysis for oxygen. Then comes Titan with methane...Encelados with frozen water ice glaciers and possible underneath life...

possibilities are limitless, we just gotta utilize what underneath our spaceboots, but before that happens we ought to get ourselfes to space.