Canada Scientists Cure Diabetes?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Prince_James, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

diabetes is a result of our modern diet.

it may have occurred long before modern day, but it was nowhere NEAR as prevailant %wise as it is today.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Certainly you are correct, but nonetheless...it is worthy of curing.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

what im saying is that the vast majority of diabetes can be prevented through healthy eating.

now, i do understand that not everyone has the resources to control their diet to that degree....but there is always the choice of an apple or other fruit, as opposed to a twinkie.

most people dont deserve that treatment. some do, especially children...but this isnt something that is inevitable..many times, diabetes is a choice.

*lights a cigarette* see? i made a choice!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

You are correct. People ought to eat better and diabetes is the sad result of not doing so.

9. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

the sad thing about it all, in my opinion, is the children who have unhealthy diets pushed on them from the time they can understand spoken language (even before in some disgusting cases).

im a fan of the "rule of extraction"...the farther you take a consumed substance away from its natural form, the more harmful it will end up being.
    not true in all cases, but it serves as a good rule of thumb for me.

10. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

It is a pretty wise general maxim.

11. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Yeah, we should be ashamed that the poor don't starve to death anymore. Now we can whine about them being full all the time. Perspective, people.

12. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

in the western world (the world being discussed), the poor RARELY starve to death. i mean like it hasnt happened in a very very long time.

modern diet is unhealthy.

but kudos for trying to argue, when there was no argument. i can always appreciate somebody with spunk.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Even the poor can make choices, an egg is better than candy for a child, and may even be cheaper.

Good nutrition is not just a prerogative of the rich.

Conditions like kwashiorkor and protein energy malnutrition, which can have far reaching effects on physical and cognitive development, are as important as chronic disease due to poor nutrition in countries where there is more than adequate food supply.

14. UltiTruth In pursuit... Registered Senior Member

15. Redefine91 I piss excellence Registered Senior Member

I have a grandpa with diabetes.

This is amazing news.

16. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Isn't it?

17. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Simple cure for diabetes: stay away from all the god damned food that has corn syrup which is every-friggin-thing.

- N

18. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I'm curious if the people going on about how people get diabetes from poor dietary habits understand the difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes.

This breakthrough is specifically in regards to type 1 diabetes although it is possible that it can also be extended to work with type 2 diabetes as well as Crohn's disease.

19. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Partially true, but then again in the past the average lifespan was much lower. People just did not live long enough to get diabetes as much. While some diabetes is the result of diet, most is an actual genetic defect. A healthy diet delays the onset, but it doesn't matter if you never deviate from a healthy diet and exercise, if you have the gene, eventually you will have diabetes.

20. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I think it's great that one day there might be a cure, but two things:

1) This study was done on mice if I am not mistaken (I read about this on another forum). Not everything that works for rats will work for humans.

2) This treatment might create an excuse in the minds of weak humans to overindulge in bad eating habits.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I repeat. This research is about type 1 diabetes. Also known as child-onset diabetes.

It has nothing to do with diet.

22. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

They definitely don't know the difference. You don't get type 1 diabetes by being overweight and eating poorly. I got type 1 when I was 14 years old and 90 lbs. Type 2 is more common by far so I guess it gets more attention.

23. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Oh ok. It might help that I read the article again. Thank you for the clarification.