Faster than light?!

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Absane, May 30, 2006.

1. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

For nearly a century, professional and peer reviewed scientists have known and reported that the PHASE VELOCITY of EM can greatly exceed the tradititional "speed of light". However, the PHASE VELOCITY is limited to infinite speed. It has not been predicted to time travel.

Maxwell's wave equation, a century and a half ago, predicted an ADVANCED WAVE which would occur prior to the "normal" retarded wave.

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

an electrostatic field......................

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Naat Scientia potestas est. Registered Senior Member

300 times faster then light normally sounds incredible. Wouldn´t the (theoretical) mass rise so high that it would be measurable?

This would be a nice argument for determinists.

8. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Damn right it is. When I read that I almost wet myself in excitment

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. geodesic "The truth shall make ye fret" Registered Senior Member

No one appears to have noticed the inconsistency in this article, which clearly states:
    which shows that neither experiment is in contradiction with our current understanding of causality, that information cannot travel faster than the speed of light. Therefore, you can't see 'ahead' in time.

10. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Wouldn't most of our physics be just as valid if most of causality could only travel at the speed of light?

11. draqon Banned Banned

Want to know what's faster then light? Interaction between bodies is. Imagine a planet moved from its orbit by a giant explosion that would propell it to cosmos...the removal of planet from orbit would instantly effect the sun. And this all happens in an instant, faster then light for sure.

12. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

Nope. Gravitational waves propagate at the speed of light.

13. Naat Scientia potestas est. Registered Senior Member

Could you post some links with this? Not that I think it´s false but I have wondered about this for some time know. Don´t they have to create mass to verify this
    In highschool physics textbook, it´s said that lightbulp will emit ligh as soon as you switch it on. Should this then be that you could expect light with some delay?

14. usp8riot Registered Senior Member

How do they know it exited before it entered? How can something start from point A go to point B without even touching A? Which is pretty much said to have went on. That defeats the laws, for one, of geometry. You can defy perception but how can you defy the laws of geometry?

Nevermind, after rereading, assumedly the pulse is going faster than the waves it created that were left behind.

15. draqon Banned Banned

oh really? who says? where are these gravitational waves?

show me prove

16. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Yep, and thats good shitoki right there. The speed of light in a pure vaccum is the standard 186,3xx mps measurement. The speed of light can be altered with matter as the experiment shows. That little trick where the light is seen exiting before seen entering might be a result of light travling through space and not time (a goofy concept to wrap your brain arouond).

17. Possumking I think, I am? Registered Senior Member

EDIT: I've read up on this and apparently the reason that its faster is that light travels more slowly in air or water than it would in a vacum. This means that if light is traveling .80 times the speed it would in a vaccum, a particle sped up to .9 times the speed of light would be travelling faster than the light while still not exceeding the "universal speed limit."

a read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherenkov_effect

Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  18. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

This was hyped up when it first came out six years ago, and still gets people excited when they first find out.

Read all about it
    In short - and in spite of appearances - no energy or information has travelled faster than the speed of light in vacuum. Rather, the anomalous region has rephased components already present in the rising edge of the signal, but well ahead of the peak, to recreate the peak ahead of its original position.

More detail for the mathematically inclined

19. Lucas Registered Senior Member

It all depends on your faith on General Relativity (a very succesful theory, indeed). Ed Fomalont and Sergei Kopeikin, in a landmark experiment, showed 3 years ago that gravity travels at the speed of light

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn3232

20. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Nice.

21. DaleSpam TANSTAAFL Registered Senior Member

What kind of terrible textbook did your school foist on you? That is terrible. Even if you ignore the propagation of light from the filament to the detector and even if you ignore the propagation of the voltage from the switch to the bulb you still have delays from the inductance of the circuit and the heating of the filament.

Your parents ought to kick the school board out!

-Dale