Land Speed Record: Mountain Moves 62 Miles in 30 Minutes-paleogeology upgrade v 2.0

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by MattMarr, May 20, 2006.

1. MattMarr Banned Banned

Land Speed Record: Mountain Moves 62 Miles in 30 Minutes
    LiveScience.com May 19, 2006

A mountain near the Montana-Wyoming border once moved 62 miles in a half-hour in a catastrophic scenario that could be repeated elsewhere, scientists say.
    Rock at the summit of Heart Mountain is 250 million years older than at its base. That suggests the top and the bottom have not always been together. The presumed migration to its present home has puzzled scientists for years. They have known the mountain moved, but no one has explained how it happened or how long it took.
    A new explanation comes from deep underground, where lava bubbled up to the surface and sent the mountain on its way in surprisingly quick fashion. ...
    With Columbia University geologist Mark Anders, Aharonov devised a computer model to describe what happened below Heart Mountain 50 million years ago. The era was one of serious mountain building with a series of volcanic eruptions that formed the now extinct volcanoes of the Absaroka Range [satellite image].
    The dikes directed the lava into the water, heating both the rock and the water. The water was trapped, and as in a pressure cooker, its pressure rose as it was heated. Caught between layers of impermeable slate, the boiling water couldn't escape.
    With nowhere to go but up, the tension finally lifted the rock, and the mountain began to glide.

Look out!
    "We think the slide motion was catastrophic," Aharonov told LiveScience. "According to our calculation, the motion took less than 30 minutes."
    The findings, announced this week, were published in the March issue of the journal Geology.
    Heart Mountain isn't the only moveable mountain. Aharonov warns that, sitting on a volcanic site, the Canary Islands could be traveling soon—posing a significant tsunami risk.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060519/sc_space/landspeedrecordmountainmoves62milesin30minutes

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Large chunks of the Hawaiian Islands are known to have split from the islands at fault zones (such as the Great Rift on the Big Island), and in crashing into the sea, moving for scores of miles, leaving a rubble trail in their wake. Tsunamis associated with this action are believe to have been thousands of feet high, depositing coral sediments atop Lanai, etc. Hope it doesn't happen again soon. The famous Pali on Oahu, overlooking Kaneohe, is believed to be the part that was left behind when such a split occurred eons ago.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Looks like MattMarr reads wikipedia. Heart mountain was featured on the main page yesterday.

Also, I fail to see what this has to do with the Illuminati?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

the illuminati are going to drop a mountain right onto NY, dont you know :bugeye:

8. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

THIS IS WONDERFUL NEWS....

the confirmation of my theorys all along.

there is only one way to make crude oil....

you must take a large heathy forest and bury it.. under miles of rock..

and you must do it very quickly.. as in 30 minutes.. and then being buried..
    it must be pressured and heated for millions of years.

explains whats killed the dinosaurs.

-MT

9. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

OK, so what evidence do you have for such an event at the time the dinosaurs went extinct?

10. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

the evidense...

1) the mountains..

2) the oil... fields. all over the earth.

3) the age of these oil fields formation coincides with a mass cataclysm along time ago....

4) the dinosaurs lived in a world before the cataclysms that formed the oil fields.
    and now they are dead.

5) new evidense has arised.. showing that threw completely natural processes...
    indeed... forests can be buried.

6) if the earth has been cooling off... since its birth... then it would over time...
    suffer contractions... shrinkage...
    it gets smaller.. and the majority of said shrinking is the squezzing of the bulkk surface mass into the many wrinkles we know today.
    making mountains.... killed the dinosaurs.

-MT

11. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Is it just me or does this last point really stink of crackpot? And what's with the ellipses?

12. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

THE LAST PART... is theory... i admit that. it is theory that fits and explains for why all the rest happenned... happens.. and may happen again.

-MT

13. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Mosheh, you really need to work on that. The thing about contractions squeezing the surface, that is pretty credible. The Earth should still be cooling when it is that hot inside. Everything else needs work.

My opinion is that a lot of oil is formed by river silt and ocean sediments under pressure. It took something special to put the oil-forming materials under limestone in places like the Kansas and Oklahoma oilfields, because for this theory to be true there had to be a period of large deposits of organics, sometimes like peat bogs, river deltas, or forests depositing carbon on the soil for millions of years. If there is enough hydrogen in the mix you get oil, which pretty much demands a supply of water. Without hydrogen you get coal.

Why does everyone, not just you, have such a habit of using the word "theory" to mean "hypothesis" or "guess" or "speculation"? A theory isn't just the best guesses, it's enough solid fact and the best ideas we have about how things we work to make a self-consistent explanation that comes close to being a reliable fact. Softening the meaning of the word too much lets some pretty stupid stuff be thought of as "theory."

14. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I have had Metakron on ignore for a very long time. I have also not noticed many (any) posts from him for an almost equally long time. So, I had a peek at this last post of his. On the strength of the following paragraph I have removed him from ignore. This really ought to appear at the top of every sciforums page, and again at the bottom.

Why does everyone, not just you, have such a habit of using the word "theory" to mean "hypothesis" or "guess" or "speculation"? A theory isn't just the best guesses, it's enough solid fact and the best ideas we have about how things we work to make a self-consistent explanation that comes close to being a reliable fact. Softening the meaning of the word too much lets some pretty stupid stuff be thought of as "theory."

15. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Thank you, Ophiolite. I will try to live up to it.

16. MattMarr Banned Banned

Caribbean: MONTSERRAT Island Volcano: dome collapses one day after revelation

Dome of MONTSERRAT Island Volcano collapses...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

... one day after the Revolution in Earth Science, the end of the world as we know it:
    Land Speed Record- Mountain Moves 62 Miles in 30 Minutes-paleogeology upgrade v 2.0
    http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=54986

Now we know OFFICIALLY that mountains can travel at 120 mph.
    BTW, the current example used to illustrate that revelation was the other atlantic volcano OFFICIALLY about to collapse.

17. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

If I'm reading the dateline correctly, that happened Saturday the 20th of May. How did I miss that in the news?