Is this for real?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by injus5, May 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. injus5 Registered Member

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. phlogistician Banned Banned

Only problem is, to electrolyse water, you need energy. So a car cannot just be filled with water, and expected to run. An energy source is needed to electrolyse the water, so it can be burned, which means carrying that energy source. As energy conversions are not 100% efficient, that means carrying an energy source greater than the output of the second stage. So why not just use the power from the 1st stage, and spare the weight of the second? Unless the term 'running on water' was spurious press speak, and the vehicle is actually filled with the 'HHO' mixture, and not 'running on water'.

The welding torch makes far more sense, as it is plugged into the mains.

This isn't news though, hydrogen powered cars have been tried before, and the electrolysis, and storage of the fuel is a bit of an issue. Time will tell if he can solve those.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sci-Phenomena Reality is in the Minds Eye Registered Senior Member

Umm, I don't think that you (phlogistician) understand the true power of burning hydrogen and oxygen.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

I dont think you, man made flying saucer, have any comprehension of chemistry.

Tell us, what is the true power of burning hydrogen and oxygen?

8. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

Download took too long. I timed out. Did not get to see sales presentation.

One strike, you're out on something like this.

9. phlogistician Banned Banned

Having worked with guys that used liquid hydogen and oxygen to launch rockets, I think I do!

Burning the stuff is easy. Making it, and storing it, however, is a very different story. You can't just slop a few litres of water in the aforementioned Hummvee, hit the starter, and expect it to burn water. Water has to be electrolysed to hydrogen and oxygen, which requires energy, which comes from where? If we were putting LOX and liquid Hydrogen into a Hummer that's a different, (and quite dangerous) story. I'd rather have a tank of petrol or diesel underneath me than tanks of pressurised oxygen! Esp in a Hummer that is a freaking bullet magnet.

10. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Why pressurise the oxygen? You only need to pressurise the hydrogen. I'm not saying that wouldn't make an uncomfortably large bang under your butt, but.... pressurised oxygen only if you wish to make it to orbit, literally. Pressurised hydrogen if you wish to make it to orbit metaphorically.

11. phlogistician Banned Banned

I haven't done the maths yet to work out how much volume you'd need to carry to compete with a liuid fuel, but as we are carrying fuel and oxidiser, and in a less compact state (gas vs liquid), I'm thinking we need storage far greater than a regular petrol tank, and unless we are going to sacrifice some internal space, need to pressurise.

Also, pressurisation solves a problem, delivery of the fuel and oxidiser, they want to leave their containers. If you have a couple of big bags of gas, you are going to have to pump it out somehow, which means more moving parts.

I am assuming we aren't electrolysing the water in situ here of course, which would be daft.

12. sniffy Banned Banned

an engine running on water
    we'll develop wings first
    (thinly disguised challenge there)

13. maxzuk Registered Senior Member

One problem that I haven’t seen discussed yet is how to make the concept work in sub-zero weather. I don’t believe that electrolysis will work on a block of ice. An anti-freeze would have to be added to the water in winter.

Below is a link to Hybrid Product that addresses the freezing problem and also the storage problem. Since it uses the Hydrogen as it’s created – there is no need to store it.

Hydro-Gen

14. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Phlog, I meant we have the oxygen available from the air. We only need the hydrogen which would indeed need to be pressurised. I am assuming the electrolysis of water takes place away from the vehicle.

15. phlogistician Banned Banned

Ah, OK, I wondered about using atmospheric oxygen, but as we're producing o2 during electrolysis, and as using pure o2 make burning h2 more efficient, it seems a shame to not use it. Although I wouldn't want to sit on a tank of it!

And yes, I too am assuming the electrolysis takes place away from the vehicle, because otherwise, the vehicle needs a power source to make the electrolysis work, and if so, why not just use that to power the vehicle? Unless of course the roof is a solar cell, and it sits there producing gas while parked, to be used when running.

16. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Ok, I've looked at the site. First impression are not good.
    Firstly, almost nobody with any scientific knowledge would write:

"
    The 2 goes lower, not upper. Plus its not a hydrogen-oxygen mix, any more than you are a carbon-hydogen mix. The hydrogen oxygen mix is called water!

The next sign that you are dealing with con-men is this:

Lye is potassium or sodium hydroxide. In water, it forms a solution containing sodium or potassium ions, and it would increase the conductivity of the water. As far as I can remember, this wouldnt have much effect on the main work here, which is the electrolysis. Now, where is the energy coming from to do the electrolysis?

Can you tell me?
    Electrolysis is the passing of an electric current through water. You can do it at home, just get a transformer to step down mains power to 12v or similar, and stick the two ends into a glass of water. You will shortly see little bubbles coming off them. THese bubbles are hydrogen and oxygen.

Now, consider for a minute- it has taken energy to create those little bubbles of gas. Where has this energy come from?

17. Phade Registered Member

The alternator? Or battery? Which is charged by the altenator. I don't know I'm not the brightest star in the sky. I'm not trying to be a smart @$$ sorry if i came across that way.

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  18. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Bing!
    That is the correct answer.
    Now, what powers the alternator?

19. sniffy Banned Banned

the generator

20. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Yup.
    Which in the case of a car, is the car engine. Which you are powering using petrol and the hydrogen given off by the electrolysis of water, which is using electricity produced by the engine.

Now it gets technical...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_thermodynamics

Thermodynamics, go and read up on it. Its very interesting, but a bit complex. Suffice to say that there is no way that it is worth using your car engine to electrolyse water to then burn the hydrogen in the engine. It is a waste of time and money.

21. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I am always for experimentation even when the experiment looks crazy on the surface. Please, anyone, feel free to build an experimental device and show that it works.

22. sniffy Banned Banned

Yup like i said we'll grow wings before we see engines powered by water or something to that effect

23. VarsityAmps Registered Member

Appreciate all your posts about savefuel.ca
    I ordered and paid for the unit about a week ago.
    Waiting for it to arrive.

I've studied your posts and recommended site.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_thermodynamics

After reading all, I'm thinking why not mount the black heat resistant composit unit closest to an engine heat source. At the very least, the captured heat may provide some small level of increased energy output. We'll see what the manufacturer recommends.

If the only result is a fun (Gadget) installation and a cleaner burning engine, I'll be happy. More to follow after the test results are in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.