Genetic Differences Between Africans and Non-Africans

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Teetotaler, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Teetotaler Registered Senior Member

Are there any genetic differences between Africans and non-Africans? If so, what does it mean?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. J.B Banned Banned

racist link removed

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2006
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Teetotaler Registered Senior Member

Are you serious?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

He's one of this forum's resident racists and morons.

8. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

The answer is quite obviously yes. Hair, skin, metabolism and so on. But then again, there are genetic differences between any two random people on earth irrespective of ethnic background. There are similarities between people of different ethnic backgrounds. You will have to be far more specific with your question if you want any meaningful answer.

Mean!?!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It doesn't mean anything, other than being an example of evolution.

PS. And as for J.B., you can safely ignore everything from Sciforum's resident racist. <P>

9. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

1. Yes.
    2. Preserve differences.

:bugeye:

10. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

Evolution is a long and winding chain, and race is one way we quantify it. That's not politically acceptable these days, but that is changing quite rapidly!

:m:

11. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

You'd like to think so, wouldn't you? Moron.

12. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

now im fucking confused.............

FACT #97: Every race has an equal capacity to learn and contribute to
    civilization and any differences are caused by prejudice and racism. The
    fact that white skins are associated with civilization is merely a quirk of
    fortune and coincidence. Any attempt to distinguish the races is motivated
    by paranoia and hatred. We must prevent any investigation into the subject
    and work to melt society together into a receless, nationless, harmonious
    utopia.

i thought this was white supremacist stuff? maybe they threw that in there to "give the negroes a chance"?
    *shakes head* fuckin bigots.

13. leopold Valued Senior Member

Race is a real cultural, political and economic concept in society, but it is not a biological concept, and that unfortunately is what many people wrongfully consider to be the essence of race in humans -- genetic differences," says Templeton. "Evolutionary history is the key to understanding race, and new molecular biology techniques offer so much on recent evolutionary history. I wanted to bring some objectivity to the topic. This very objective analysis shows the outcome is not even a close call: There's nothing even like a really distinct subdivision of humanity.
    http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/1998-10/WUiS-GSRD-071098.php

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Why do you ask, teetotaler?

15. Teetotaler Registered Senior Member

Just wondering.

16. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

About what, Teetotaler?

17. QueenTiye Registered Member

OK. I'll play along, though I may regret it...

Race is a real phenomenon, the same way a lot of other weird classifications are. From what I understand - our understanding of species (taxotomy?) is entirely based on what we personally think about what we are looking at... and there are some that want to change the classification system to be more in line with what we know genetically. Hence - we know that human beings are one - but we make a distinction about race, and there are a number of characteristics that go along with those distinctions. They are in fact, genetically based - however, they are not 'wedded' to any specific race. For instance - you get brown skin in others than Africans, and you get kinky hair on others as well.

Because evolution works on populations - racial characteristics show up in population clusters - as human beings start moving around more - you get blending of characteristics.

Any geneticist will tell you that genetic traits are not linked - that is - we can't assume x because of y. That there may be a statistical probability of linked traits is an accident of numbers that can be readily corrected for by increasing population mixing.

QT

18. makeshift Registered Senior Member

Yes. Of course there are genetic differences. You can tell an African from a non-African, right? So they must look different.

We all appear the way we do because of our genes -- genes are under everything. Therefore, there indeed are genetic differences between Africans and non-Africans.

Despite how obvious and plain it is that there are differences, some people will deny it for reasons I don't completely understand. I've read that all races share about 99.8% genes with each other. And therefore, the differences are negligible.

I'm not how much sense that ultimately makes, however. After all, humans share approximately 98% of their genomes with chimpanzees. Does that make them the same?

Obviously not.

So even though all humans share approximately 99.8% of our genes with each other, does it mean that there aren't necessarily important and remarkable differences between different races? Of course not.

19. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Sort of on topic...

I claim that no matter what studies are done, by anyone, no matter how thorough, respected, disrespected, or otherwise, the various races are and always will be completely and utterly indistinguishable in capability and ability in all respects.

Next topic?

20. Electric_Ashalar I've got my EYE on You. Registered Senior Member

Think so superluminal?
    Yer a phil plait disciple.
    Next topic.

21. Gustav Banned Banned

i think i buy into cultural dispositions

22. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Anyway, I was being a bit sarcastic. My point is that in today's climate I think it would be impossible, even if it were absolutely true, to show differences in performance capabilities between races. I think it's entirely possible for there to be measurable differences in physical structure (shape, size, skin color, etc), emotional behavior, and intellectual capability across races. There are clearly physical structure differences. Race differentiation is probably a very early precursor to speciation. After all, racial differences arise due to adaptation to differing habitat conditions, right?

So the whole question of racial differences, especially regarding intellectual performance or emotional makeup, is taboo more for political reasons than for any scientific ones.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  23. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Why are you people bickering over race? Who cares?

YES there are genetic differences among human races. Permanent colouration doesn't come from the bloody sun. There are genes "for" it, if you want to put it like that, and they have phenotypic effects. These effects were probably useful in their home environment, or they wouldn't have gone to fixation, but now that "civilization" for want of a better term has levelled the selective field they matter very little.

Why avoid the issue?

Geoff