What is 'GENIUS'?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by nameless, Dec 12, 2005.

1. nameless Registered Senior Member

I'm not talking about the recent pick a number on the IQ scale and voila'; I'm talking about the classical understanding of 'creative' genius. Whether creative with 'thought', like A. Einstein; 'substances', like Picasso and Seshu; 'sound', like Beethoven...

What is genius?

Genes? Nurture? Nature? Physical? Something to do with Consciousness? Mind? No mind? Ego? An overabundance of something? Hormone? Sperm? Ectoplasm? Brain damage?
    What is Genius?
    From whence does it come?

I realize that there are those who are simply speculating, and there are those geniuses out here speaking from 'experience'; observations from either side of the 'coin' can help to contribute to the discussion, and, who knows, might even identify/open 'doors' for some...

Any opinions?
    Thanks..

What do you think?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Present BAMF Registered Senior Member

well im one of those who is simply speculating, but i think that a genius is a person who refuses to go by the book, they break moulds and create something that has never been known

genes and the circumstances the person was raised under probably plays into a persons ability to become a genius

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

I would rather say that a genius is someone who knows when to refuse to go by the book. There is still a lot to be learned from those who learned it first.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

one of the strongest characteristics of genius is the power to light it's own fire.
    -john foster

8. nameless Registered Senior Member

Perhaps Genius begins where the 'books' leave off? If one knew nothing of the 'books', though, one might waste one's Genius re-inventing the wheel. That would be sad...

I guess that you can't elaborate for Mr. Foster, but I really don't understand his meaning. Could it be that he means that one can direct and focus one's Genius at Will?

9. leopold Valued Senior Member

the subject is moot. the only species we have are ourselves, we are comparing ourselves with ourselves.let's see, genious, my definition would be the ability to see a problem and having the resources and will-power to get it done.

10. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I understand what you are saying leopold, but I can't agree. I do that all the time in my work [and if I can be bothered, in my private life] and I am no genius, in the terms being used here. It is not sufficient that the problem be solved, genius also lies in identifying it in the first place and in discovering a novel solution.
    I would also strongly agree with RoyLennigan's observation. You need to be able to do things by the book - and do them superbly well - before you can step outside the book. And you have to do it at the right time in the right way.

11. Qorl Guest

-Genius is close to idiot. ~ Steve Cator
    -There was never a genius without a tincture of insanity. ~ Aristotle
    -Genius is the talent for seeing things straight. ~ Maude Adams
    -Genius is sorrow's child. ~ John Adams
    -God has placed the genius of women in their hearts, because the works of this genius are always works of love. ~ Alphonse Marie Lamartine
    -Genius ... is the capacity to see ten things where the ordinary man sees one. ~ Ezra Pound
    -"Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them." ~ Albert Einstein
    -Genius is nothing but a greater aptitude for patience. ~ Benjamin Franklin
    -Genius will always believe in his destiny and never lose hope. ~ Qorl
    -Genius believe in unbelievable, he is a master of his mind and also unbreakable survivor. ~ Qorl ...
    Or should I said KEKEC

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2006
  12. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

If people go by the book, somebody has to write the books

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

A genius comprehends, conceptualizes and convinces.

14. genep Guest

Thank you for asking about my favorite subject:

A genius is someone who says " I think therefore I am" when there is no such thing as thinking.
    A genius is someone who figures out that the speed of light does not change(Relativity) but is too stupid to figure out that it cannot change because it has no time to change.

Otherwise a genius is just a fool who believes all the other fools that believe the crap that one fool needs to be a genius because he is a better fool than all the others.

I should know because there never was and never will be a better fool than I.

15. nameless Registered Senior Member

Actually, on second thought, genius has no 'need' for books'. Books and the thoughts of others are only helpful if one is trying to focus on a particular area to apply Genius.
    When Genius encounters a problem, of some sort, the 'answer' is still Genius. Genius 'Creates' that which has not been created, thinks (accesses) what has not been previously thought.
    Genius is Truly 'Creative'.

16. nameless Registered Senior Member

Nor a more humble one!
    *__-

17. nameless Registered Senior Member

What about the 'first' genius?
    If by 'there' you mean the situation that the genius finds himself in requiring the the application of his genius, then I'd agree. The 'beginning', 'there', is where he is.
    If by there you are saying that genius 'needs' the 'input' of anyone else, I think that you are in error. Sometimes, though, it helps to aid the 'focus' of genius. Refining the access code'..

Einstein, dropped onto an uninhabited planet, with no memory, would still apply his genius.. invent the wheel and axle, find a way to clean the water to drink, etc..

Whatever the situation, whatever the need, it can be CREATIVELY 'solved' by the genius' innate creativity. His solution might not run parallel with some developments on another planet with a similar problem, but the solution would still be a 'work of genius'. Whatever he sets his hand to...
    Starting a building with used bricks is sometimes a poor idea, and creative genius never regurgitates exactly what has already been. That is the nature of creativity. Creative genius reaches beyond the common, beyond the mundane.

I would say that 'genius' would be an ability to 'access' something/somewhere not commonly accessed by the populace, and make use of the 'information' thereby obtained.
    If so, where do you think that might be?

18. Satyr Banned Banned

People, people, people.

Enough already with making me your topic.

I blush with humility

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Genius is to me, the capacity to compress an abundance of time into the moment. Our time as we experience it, is abstracted in to concepts which are pruned or bloom with further experience. When these concepts are cement yet maleable, consistent and effortlessly (relative to the individual in question) manipulated, we see genius. Genius is recognizable as a marvel of conceptual geometry.

At least that's what I say at the moment.

20. Cross Registered Senior Member

Genius is thinking. That is what it has to do with. More specifically, its thinking properly, and doing it consistently. Its uncompromised fidelity to reason and logic and the consistent volitional choice to pursue it. Its irreverence to anything but whats real, disregard for anything except what matters, and uncompromised reverence for truth and reality and honoring it in ones actions. Genius basically is starting with something that matters - a purpose -and continuing it in disregard of all pretexts that one should stop. Genius is just not wasting time with whats irrelevant, being consistent and logical regarding ones purpose, and also making sure your purpose is worthy of everything you can put to it.

For instance if I were a genius, I wouldnt be here on sciforums wasting my time writing this. If I were a genius, Id have something better to do. I think thats a good example.

21. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

Genius is the ability to discern structure behind appearance, cf Plato.

22. Happeh Registered Senior Member

The ability to throw the herd off of you the same way superman throws off 50 guys that all jumped him at once.

Once you get rid of the energy sucking parasites, your brain uses the newfound energy you now have to figure out whatever you want.

You never noticed that most geniuses were recluses or hermits? They have to be a recluse or a hermit to stop the parasites from sucking the energy out of them and their brain.

You ever watch the Brady Bunch? Mr Brady always went and locked himself in his room to work. The obvious reason he did it was peace and quiet from the kids. The real reason he did it was to stop the family from sucking his energy so he could do his work. If they came around him, they would suck him dry and he would not be able to do his work.

I got a million of these cultural examples to back up what I say. Life is really fun and jaw dropping if you go with it instead of fighting every single new idea.

23. Blindman Valued Senior Member

Please... I mean, ohh please!!! stop hurting my hope for humanity, you're not that dumb are you...
    I must have missed the 1000000th episode.

Personally I see genius as an exceptional talent.