Lets Stop Racism

Discussion in 'History' started by J.B, Nov 1, 2005.

1. J.B Banned Banned

A constitutional amendment banning racial preferences in university admissions and government hiring was ordered on next year's statewide ballot by an appellate court Monday.

"Voters should have a say over whether government can use race as a factor in public employment, education and contracting."

By Any Means Necessary, a national group that opposes the racial preference ban, vowed to appeal to the Michigan Supreme Court.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/politics/0511/01/B01-367650.htm

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. FuJiMan Registered Senior Member

Racism is claiming that a specific group of people has genetic disadvantages or advantages over another group of people. Whats so bad about that anyway?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Light Registered Senior Member

What? I cannot understand your point about "genetic disadvantages or advantages"? That concept went out of style LONG ago. Today, it's just all about differences (skin color, language, culture - things like that).

Maybe you'd like the chance to explain a little more clearly what you're trying to say?????

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You forgot to mention:

Operation King's Dream, a party to the litigation, showed that MCRI [Michigan Civil Rights Initiative] had systematically lied to black voters. Virtually every single black voter and many tens of thousands of white voters were deceived into thinking that MCRI's ballot petition aimed to support affirmative action rather than outlaw it. Because of the substantial evidence of racially-targeted fraud, the Board of Canvassers refused to certify the petition in July.

The Court of Appeals ruling, issued without even a hearing, would force the Board to certify the petition—even though (1) three of the Board's four members believe it was tainted by racially-targeted fraud; (2) the Board has clear statutory authority to investigate the fraud; and (3) no other government entity in lieu of the Board has been identified as bearing responsibility for protecting the Michigan electorate against the combination of out-of-state money and racist fraud present here.

http://www.bamn.com/doc/2005/050418-brief-bd-canv.asp

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Affirmative Action is essentially the same thing as government-sanctioned racism! It's just that since it favors the blacks, no one is protesting or rioting or looting or burning the towns/cities. Whites don't riot or loot or burn down their hometown!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Affirmative action worked for Bush.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

J.B. and Baron Max:

You seem to be confused about the meaning of "racism".

Racism is the belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

A programme to provide affirmative action for entry to a university is not, in general, based on a belief that one race is superior to other, and therefore is not a racist act.

I hope this clears things up for you.

11. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

But, affirmative action does assume that one race should be preferred over another when it comes to admission. This preference of one race over another IS racism. The very existence of affirmative action proposes that blacks (or other races) are somehow superior, or that by being "oppressed" they are inherently better than the rest of us. In short, affirmative action IS a racist act.

12. Light Registered Senior Member

Well, you've sort of got the right idea but absolutely the wrong reasons!

It in no way indicates a superiority or "better than."

13. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

My friends loot, I want to riot, and as for not burning down their hometown, have you ever heard of Nero?

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'll put up with Affirmative Discrimination for a little while longer. Yes it's unfair, but in a cosmic sense there's a certain justice to it that may be of value. We white males have never had the vaguest idea what it's like to be discriminated against. Perhaps after enduring thirty years of it--and maybe a few years more--we'll emerge with a new perspective and teach our children to be better people.

Yes I know that none of us enlightened folks on SciForums are racists, but there still are quite a few out there that could use some enlightenment.

Walking a mile in the other fellow's moccasins and all that. For some white men there's simply no other way to learn.

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Yes, because disadvantage is recognised. The "positive discrimination" creates a level playing field.

16. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Positive discrimination is still discrimination, which at heart is a racist and bigoted act.

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Not at all. Discrimination happens all the time. It is not always negative, and it isn't necessarily racist or bigoted.

18. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

When discrimination is based on race it is wrong. What's next, special water fountains for minorities? how about making them sit at the front of the bus? Yes, I have a dream. When all men will be judged not by the content of their character, but by the color of their skin. Minorities will be considered naturally inferior and so will be given a preference to make up for their natural inferiority. I have a dream.

19. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I whole-heartedly agree that so-called "positive discrimination", when based on race, is unfair and does not help the situation of institutionalized racism and inequality.

The goal of "positive discrimination", ostensibly, is forcing equal opportunity of the underprivaleged.
    The poor whites get the shaft end of the deal, don't they? Are they not underprivaleged?
    I agree that the pre 1970's institutionalized racism of the was a seriously shameful time in this country's (US) history.
    Tipping the scales does no one any favors, and more importantly does not truly address the issue.

You can't force equality by forcing inequality.
    You have to address the causes of the inequlaity, not the symptoms or results.

I would fully support "affirmative action" if it was based solely on economic factors.

20. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

But those "disadvantages" are NOT taken into account for whites! There are many, many poor, disadvantaged white kids ...but they are NOT given any breaks in the Affirmative Action programs.

AA is a racist program and does nothing but further the divide between races. In fact, it's so decisive that I hope it continues!!! Until all human societies come to realize that integration is impossible, racism will flourish and divide the nations of the world even more than they already are.

Baron Max

21. john smith Tongue in cheek Registered Senior Member

Let me get this straight, your saying that segregation encourages equality,i.e. no racism?? Thats pretty fuked up.

22. J.B Banned Banned

I believe that blacks as a race on the average can jump higher then whites as a race.

Is that racism?

23. john smith Tongue in cheek Registered Senior Member

Yes, that is a form of Racism.It is neither vindictive nor negative however the statment remains one of Racism.