Hot Coffee

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by steponit, Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steponit Registered Senior Member

Fewer restaurants are serving coffee hot enough till the last drop: is there any way of heating coffee in a paper cup safely, while in the shop or outside?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

There is a 'travel element' you can buy that will fit into a cup. Failing that, a microwave can make coffee so hot you won't be able to drink it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Or just buy the coffee from that link i provided.

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Drink expresso.

Gulp it down in one go.

9. steponit Registered Senior Member

Thanks for the tip; I was thinking about a battery operated immersion heater or a heating device similer to the chemical acting hand or foot warmer. Rubbing sticks is out .

10. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

what about a microwave that has an infared sensor? couldn't be that hard to have it automatically shut off after the target food/coffee is at a certain temp. I mean, my family's microwave has an automatic popcorn setting, detects poping rate I think, so why not tweek with more bells and whistles? get coffee to the perfect temp...

11. valich Registered Senior Member

You could always buy your own 12-volt coffee maker and make your own hot coffee inside your car. Or bring it with you in a thermos.

12. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

bah! how totally not "in" of you... making your OWN coffee... everyone KNOWS you gotta have that $4 triple-latte-schmatte starbucks in your cupholder to look totally and undeniably trendy!

funny, thermos's go for about the same price I think...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. valich Registered Senior Member

Also, you forgot that everyone knows you have to dye your hair pink in a Mohawk, wear purple sunglasses, and pointed shoes.

14. steponit Registered Senior Member

I said in the coffee shop or outside. I'm referring to a portable immersion heater, or facsimile.

15. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

isn't immersion heat what they use already to keep coffee in those large cans in cafaterias and the like? miniturize that, a thermos with an immersion heater, find something to plug it in (car, office power plug), i see a product here...

16. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Definetely... mini immesrsion heaters do exist for travelling but if it came fitted to a flask, it could be battery operated and made to cut out a good few degrees below boiling point for safety reasons

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. valich Registered Senior Member

Immersion heaters work great. I originally used them to boil water to make coffee when I was overseas; however, the 12 volt immersion heaters don't get as hot as the a/c ones do.

18. steponit Registered Senior Member

Tablarythm Where can I buy onr---- ANYBODY!

19. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

20. valich Registered Senior Member

AC or 12 volt DC?

120/240 volt Hot Beverage Heater: $16
    http://store.yahoo.com/luggageandgifts/hotbevheatg3.html
    http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-p14307135?sourceid=3

12 volt Immersion Heater
    http://www.towsure.com/default.asp?t=248&p=0&d=56

You used to be able to pick one up at any local harware store: still can in China. But for safety reasons they might not sell them over-the-counter anymore here because you might forget to unplug it and burn yourself or catch something on fire. For a 12 volt, try a Marine Equipment Store.

You could also just buy a small AC or DC portable Hot Water Heater and just remove the immersion heating element out of it so it would be more portable for your use. Be careful though.

21. steponit Registered Senior Member

Thanks for all the information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.