are you your name?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by gratitude&love, Sep 23, 2005.

1. gratitude&love order's efficient,chaos likely Registered Senior Member

I just read the book "The Secret Universe of Names" the dynamic interplay of names and destiny, by, Roy Feinson, any one read it?
    i'll tell you what it is eerily on the button with everyone i am really close to. including myself.

funny thing though, when my wife and I were naming our kids, 9yrs ago, i had none of this information, yet i told her it seemed a persons name had much to do with their success and personality.

the thing that stood out to me was the obvious aggressive sounds that the k's made, and the multitude of successfull single syllabol named people, but there were exceptions so i couldnt put a science to it, just a hunch.

then i read this book, its uncanny how accurate it is.
    just wanted to see if any of you ever thought about how a name impacts your personallity?

a spirituall or fantasy based idea i had, was perhaps when the doctor asks the mother the name of the child, she by naming this being is calling the oneness for a spirit of a certain nature thus giving the child its soul. silly i know, but fun to think about nontheless.

i actually would agree with the author, on the sounds the letters make, and what is natural to relate with those sounds. also the shape your face makes, to relate the emotion for that letter. for instance the letter "m" conjures up adjectives like mother, mmm and feelings of contentment. there's much more. but you get the idea.

eternally gratefull for all

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. dr. cello Thrilling Conversationalist Registered Senior Member

one of the things i have noticed about most such books, websites, horoscopes, and what have you, are that a majority of the statements made are so generic they can apply to anyone. or so vague that it could mean anything. a well-written book of names, then, is one which basically is vague and generic enough that you will think it sounds accurate.

as the bard wrote, 'a rose, by any other name, would smell just as sweet.' and it does, in fact, go by other names in other tongues and maintain the same qualities. the importance of the name, i fear, is merely an ancient myth that has recently been stirred up again.

this is not to say that the name has no effect, however. if you name your child something cutesy or ridiculous or just unpleasant, there will likely be some psychological effects. as well as sounding less than respectable. but there's nothing even quasi-mystical about it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. gratitude&love order's efficient,chaos likely Registered Senior Member

the book acctually has no mystisism to it at all its purely going on the science of language, and the meaning of letters to our phsyce. regardless of their order. the mysticall was my own thing i added.

for example some anagrams you may or may not be aware of.(some are meant to be humorous)

"each letter in the alphabet has an emotional resonace, it doesnt seem to matter in what order these letters are arranged. the overall gist remains surprisingly unchanged.

this effect can be seen in Axl Rose's stage name, wich compliments the sneering sexuality of his rocker image in the anagram oral sex
    or clint eastwood: old west action
    james taylor: oral majesty
    woody allen: lewd loony

or some every day words evil is vile
    we are silent when we listen
    mother in law is hitler woman
    striptease is tit ass peer
    enraged when angered
    death is hated
    dormitory is dirty room
    elegant man is a gentleman
    some maybe intentional subliminals would be:
    crest toothpaste apt tooth secrets
    pepsi cola/ social pep
    apple macintosh- laptop machines
    western union- no wire unsent
    news week magazine- we eke amazing news
    nightline- inlighten
    perhaps some are coincidence for like he states later
    "if we take these notions seriously we could believe that charles manson was predispositioned to be a slasher conman.
    or Ronald wilson reagan a long insane warlord
    george bush he bugs gore"
    now with all that i must explain thats not the basis of the books information just a part that discusses the meaning of letters.
    he deals with how our language is based much on the way the word forms our facial responses. such as our words of warning similar to a snarling dog who bears his large canine teeth accompanied by a low growl
    we respond with "bad dog" . the explosive low frequency B sound is a powerfull attention getter, and when accompanied by the letter A it forces our mouth to open and our upper lip to retract and expose our own some what stunted canines. then ends with the sharply pronounced letter D to reinforce the message, thus without understanding the language they do understand the message.

i would continue but i really dont want to rewrite the book.
    but if youd like. give me a name of someone close to you, yourself or children, siblings, spouse. someone you truly know. first name only, i'll tell you what it says. then you decide for yourself.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. gratitude&love order's efficient,chaos likely Registered Senior Member

gratefull for you and your time

8. dr. cello Thrilling Conversationalist Registered Senior Member

this is what is called 'confirmation bias'.

i could make a list of words which have no coincidental similarities, and then your list would have some meaning--of course, almost all names long enough are anagrams of many different things. it's a lot like the alleged 'bible code'. it's easy to find anything you want to find. incidentally, 'inlighten' isn't a word.

and it is not purely going on the science of language. that's called 'a lie'. it makes the book sell better by convincing you that it's scientific.

EDIT: my name is robert. and just for good measure why don't you tell me what 'rebecca' means, as well?

9. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Well, "David" means beloved, and everyone loves me. I think. I hope.

*goes mad*

10. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

it sounds like a lot of anecdotal evidences. do they have statistics dealing with the entire worlds population?

for example, break the worlds population into people with certain sounds in their names, then compare things like income, criminal record, ect. even this would be inaccurate, but it would have some basis.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

are you your name?
    Kind of, but I cannot reveal why.

12. dr. cello Thrilling Conversationalist Registered Senior Member

you're a hideous crossbreed between a spider and a goat, aren't you? admit it!

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No, my real name.

14. dr. cello Thrilling Conversationalist Registered Senior Member

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

16. gratitude&love order's efficient,chaos likely Registered Senior Member

. you obviously missed the point. thats ok though perhaps later.

oh im sorry i didnt realize you had already read the book, for surely to make a stament such as that, you have read it?

robert:
    With its brash booming resonance, the letter B imparts an aspect of belligerence to the words and names in wich it appears. its low frequency tones are responsible for the words: bash, beat, break, battle, burly, and beast, and when combined with the racy, randy, and robust letter R and the triumphant, tremendous, terrific and tallented letter T, takes on all the brilliant qualities of the words: bright, bristiling, vibrant, bratty, bravest, and abrupt. and because these names also begin with the letter R, RBRT's are usually those magnetic people who could charm the stripes off a sergeant.

it takes a great deal of energy to live up to the promise of an RBRT name and most of these people have had to deal with the expectations of parents and teachers from the time they were young. this explains why there are two kinds of RBRT's in the world: the overachievers, who are compelled to make an impression in the world, and the subdued RBRT's who live life on their own terms ignoring the expectations of society. but the one thing RBRT's have in common is the ability to knuckle down and do whatever it takes to excell in their career's and relationship's.

if you've ever had the opportunity to date any RBRT's youll know that there is something about them that has a way of getting under your skin.
    even if your friends dont understand your attraction to your RBRT cohort, theyll have to concede that your RbRT lover is easygoing and companionable.
    many rbrt's tend to be a little bookish at times, and even if they are not the most powerfull public speakers they will always have something interesting to say. and if you want to integrate yourself to an rbrt just ask them for advice.
    they're always thrilled when people aknowledge their hard-won insights.

when it comes to love rbrt's are fully aware of their sensuall charms and wont hesitate to use them. when it comes to actually selecting their mates, no one has a clearer image of what constitutes the ideal relationship then they do. many rbrt's have been working on their short list of their mates qualities since early childhood, and although it might take years to find the one, they're not going to give up untill they do. and since rbrt's would never deign to lower their standards, if the perfect person doesnt materialize, theyll probably decide they're better off single. a word to the wise: if your planning on courting one of these selective creatures, dont try to rush them by expecting to much after one or two dates. theyll know within the first five minutes if you are the right person; if you are, youll get the message loud and clear.

rebecca: RBK

with its brash and booming resonance, the letter B reminds us of a beligerent bucking bronco, while the cutting K or hard C, evokes the images in the words crash, crack, kick, king, kill, careen, clip, and knuckle sandwich.
    together the B, and K, are so forcefully aggressive, (break, bonk, buck, block, brisk, and bushwack) that its clear that no one with and rbk name, could ever be accused of being a milquetoast. even when the bk combonation appears in words softend by the racy, romantic, and randy, letter R, the ensuing words have an unmistakbly assertive air: rebuke, razorback, bark, bulwark, brisk, brick, break, and berserk. all told, its not surprising that rbk people have reputations for being as unyeilding as petrified oak, and as reliable as gravity.

making friends with such sanguine sprites can be a tricky mission at the best of times. the problem is that most rbk's show little interest in casual relationships, preferring the intamacy that comes with intense 1-1 relationships instead. the best approach to befriending the absorbed individuals is to remember that they distrust neediness in others, and respond best when their friends affect attitudes of oblique intrest. even close personal friends find rbk's somewhat enigmatic, but would never question their strength of character or their resolve to reach their full potentiall.

despite their sociall reserve, rbk's can be quite emotionall at times. they bond quite deeply and often find themselves entangled in darkly obsesive types of relationships from wich they find it hard to emerge. many rbks have love adventures that could rival a soap opera, but since they are not ones to kiss and tell, your not going to hear about these exploits first hand.

the rbks femine wiles combine with her masculine drive to make for an intimidating combination in the workplace, and her inner toughness is perfect for law, medicine or buisness. but there is still enough of the girl in the rbk to attract her to design, teaching, and people managment. as workers, they have an abiding sense of responsibiliy tword their employers and would think little of working overtime if it meant getting the job done perfectly.

for all her impressive independance, at the end of the day, the rbk still needs companionship. a perfect union, from her point of view, is a working partnership with one part romance, and one part down and dirty fun. and even when children are added to the equation, the rbks mate will remain her number one priority. her ideal mate is a man with the patience to unravell the thread of vulnerability running through her life.

whoa that was alot of typing. tell me what you thought.

gratefull to serve

17. Onefinity Registered Senior Member

Given how we so associate a name with who we are, I think that the naming of a person when they are born is an authoritarian act on the part of a parent. What I would propose is that kids are given a temporary name when they are born, and that they are prepared to name themselves when they are about nine or ten years old. They should be prepared to choose, or invent, a name that fits who they really are. Kind of like what happens after a vision-quest. Then the name they were born with would become their middle name.

18. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Well, you should also read Hesse's Steppenwolf; then you'll learn how multi-sided a human personality is

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Really, a single word doesn't describe it.

19. gratitude&love order's efficient,chaos likely Registered Senior Member

wow thats an excellent thought, i never thought of that before. my kids being 8,7, and 6 i might start them thinking about this possibility.

do you think this is why they change their names so frequently now? to more accuratly describe themselves?

20. gratitude&love order's efficient,chaos likely Registered Senior Member

thanks i will

21. try 'Dean'....

im curious now

22. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

My name is not my real name.
    I don't have a real name.
    I don't have a real personality or body either.
    They're not me, they just represent me, at this specific moment and "place".

Only people who identify themselves with matter, with their body, personality, clothes, even the name............................ those people BECOME what they THINK they are.

We are not what we think we are. We are what we most deeply want to be (ie. "perfect")

23. gratitude&love order's efficient,chaos likely Registered Senior Member

Dean: dn
    the popularity of the dn names reached its peak in the 1970's, and although many baby boomers sport one of its many incarnations, these names are quite rare among todays newborns. its declining status may have something to do with the inherent conflict created when the determinedly decisive letter D teams up with the nasally pronounced letter n. while the letter D denotes people of upstanding fortitude, the n is the archetypal expression of negativity: no, never, nada, naught, nothing and nowhere. consequently, this letter combination is the source of the contentious tones found in the words damn, darken, demand, deny, dingy, demon, dank, dragon, drunk, madman, and debunk. so while those people carry themselves with dignity and exihbit a capacity for genuine caring, theres also a wry streak of pessimism flowing through their veins.

dn people have a distinct aura of stubborness that they consider quite attractive. employers, parents and friends might disagree, but no one will argue that dns take advantage of their fierce focus and put it to work in their buisness ventures. the fact that they have such a vast reservoir of enthusiasm means that they have no problem attracting people who are willing to take advantage of their emotional and material resources, and the nice thing is that dns dont usually expect anything in return, except someone with whom to team up in their quest for diversion.

of course, being an idealist has its downside; life cannot always be counted on to go the way you expected. and failure and dns dont get along very well, and this is where they tend to manifest their depression. dns will feel sorry for themselves and try to co-opt their friends for commiseration. you get the sense that dns could snap out of it any time they wanted to, but theres nothing like a good wallow every now and then. once theyve had their fill of melancholy, theyll step back into the sunshine- reinvigorated and refreshed- to resume their productive ways.

when it comes to relationships, dns absorb their energy from other people and are known for their devotion to friends and family. intimate affairs with dns can be a little touchy at times, not because of their occasionall huffs but because ot their high ideals and their habit of placing impossible expectations on their mates. dns also need to be high on their partners priority lists: being snubbed even in the most insignificant way can trigger one of their sulks. to get the most out of these dynamic souls, those who mate with dns are advised not to walk on eggshells but roll with the punches.

sorry it took so long had to help the kids with homework, now time to go for a ride.
    thankyou for your gift of you