Lost Cub Scout

Discussion in 'World Events' started by spidergoat, Jun 22, 2005.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

From CNN:
    Oh my God, I don't know who's the bigger moron, the parents or the kid. I mean, it's a good idea not to talk to strangers around town, but if you are lost in the woods do you still avoid the rescuers? It's all the more telling that they are religious people. Religion tells you to follow the letter of the law, rather than the intent. The intent of telling your kids not to talk to strangers was never to keep you lost in the wilderness!

If the kid wasn't such a do-gooder, he would have been found sooner! Don't the cub scouts tell you what to do when you are lost, specifically how to alert people to your presence?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

The rules of being a good cub scout must have gotten to his head.
    I say blame the kid.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

I agree, the kid is a dumb ass. what was he 11? says a lot about the whole cub/boy scout system.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sauce We're Living To Die Registered Senior Member

Keep in mind that the cub scouts have good morals and good intentions... but ya, the whole "dont talk to strangers" is good, for the most part. If someone comes up and says are you lost, do u need help? I'm not gonna just stare at them and not talk like an idiot. And don't think I'm just a cub scouter, this is coming from a person who hates the cub scouts, lol

8. buttraider Registered Member

I am from utah and from what I have heard the kid is a little messed in the head so he could have just freaked out you never know.
    You also never know what the efect of being dehydrated and having no nourishment for 4 days would do to you till it happens, hell he could have seen giant demons riding flaming horses and ran in fear of his life.

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

So who's gonna reimburse the taxpayers for huge outlay of money to find the little bastard? How much is one little, male, 11-yr old bastard worth? $2.00? $10.00?

Baron Max

10. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Can't blame the kid for having dumbass parents. Anyway, its a sad state of affairs when a boyscould can't make do for a couple of days alone. Its summer, we don't exactly have much in the way of wolves or bears, and he was in one of the most food rich ecologies on the continent.

Being dropped in the middle of the forest for a week or so should be mandatory for boyscouts.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

We should be very relieved that he was found and all turned out OK. Even if the news exaggerates it's story of this event the boy will be OK.

12. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

I do believe that it is mandatory for eagle scouts, the highst rank of boyscout. Also, in the boyscouts and cubscouts I was frequently briefed on what to do if I was lost on this hike or that camping trip, and staying in one spot and drawing attention to myself via a safty whistle or other such means was pretty much it. He must have been a little bit dim to avoid other people on the trail.

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Why? I don't know that little bastard ...why should I care?

And should I care equally about the millions of little kids all over the world who die every damned year? If I keep "caring" so much, pretty soon I'm gonna' have to walk around crying and sad and miserable all the damned time.

Baron Max

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

That's your opinion, but it's better than if they found him dead isn't it? Would you rather see even more "bad" news and they found him dead? The news is so full of bad shit that this "ggod" news is a good break.

15. BHS Riposte Artiste Registered Senior Member

If he'd been found dead in the woods, would it have been well spent?

UPDATE: It's arguments like these that prevent me from going all the way Libertarian. I can still sleep soundly at night after the government "wastes" money trying to save citizens from disaster, even if the citizens in question bring it on themselves.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2005
  16. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

I don't know about that, I think their is a thread about how humans are getting dumber, maybe it would be a good idea for such a dunce to have succumb to natural selection.

I surprise my self at how callous I can be some times, sorry its just who I am.

17. Roman Banned Banned

Dumber and dumber?

I think not. We're adapting to a new environment; a cage we've been building ourselves for a long, long time. Of course this kid didn't know what to do; he is a fucking average American. He's bred for survival in suburbia, not the outdoors.

18. TheMidnight12AM The Midnight Registered Senior Member

More proof the news has nothing to report.

19. Mr.Jack4WAR Hating the Hated Registered Senior Member

every body look at what yall r writing about... the media ... in every situation its the media's fault... EVERYTHING! so theres no need to discuss its faults for it has no goodness to it but to influenciate peoples decisions ONLY FOR POLITICS! even this kid getting lost turned politics into a rage, same with terri shiavo... every god damn thing from the war- global warming involves the fucking politics... thats all u hear about cuz the media inserts subliminal messages, think im lying? then why on CNN they broadcast the war in iraq with nothing but questions and questions and ways to bring it down, and if u watch fox news they'll present the war's qualities...... if u understand this than thankyou and kudos to ur further life.. but lets not get TOO carried away and turn into hippies

20. Roman Banned Banned

Haha, blame the media. Good one, you idiot capitalistas. Turn it off and they'll show something different. I promise you.

21. Mr.Jack4WAR Hating the Hated Registered Senior Member

im not blaming the media,yet in many ways they do influence opinions and u know it

22. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

It seems that I have been grumbling at the media since 'loose lips sink ships' went out of style.

23. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

What's interesting is ...other than that one stupid cub scout, why didn't the media report about all of the other thousands of kids/adults that went "missing"? Ask yourselves why did they just report about him and not all the others??? Oooh, sure is hell couldn't have been human compassion, could it? No, it was for some other reason ...like the kid was the friend of some influencial reporter.

Do you know how many kids go "missing" in the USA alone every day? Check it out. .......... And then tell me how much you REALLY care!

Baron Max