Scientists Find Soft Tissue in T-Rex Bone

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Xerxes, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Its official. For the first time in years, I want to become a Paleontologist.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=585&e=1&u=/nm/20050324/sc_nm/dinosaur_to_dc

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

so, would there be DNA in it? I smell a real life jerrasic park =]

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. -Bob- Insipid Fool Registered Senior Member

Holy shit that's incredible.

My god... I'm so excited I'm farting.

Soft tissue? Cells? In a T-Rex bone?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

It's in one of the March issues of Science. I'm trying to get my hands on a copy right now.

Soft-Tissue Vessels and Cellular Preservation in Tyrannosaurus rex
    Mary H. Schweitzer, Jennifer L. Wittmeyer, John R. Horner, and Jan K. Toporski
    Science 25 March 2005; 307: 1952-1955 [DOI: 10.1126/science.1108397] (in Reports)

8. zyncod Registered Senior Member

Sorry, no. No Jurassic Park. Even if dinosaurs cells were preserved in a cryogenic freezer for 70 million years, solar radiation would have destroyed the DNA to an extent that no animal could be reproduced from those cells. Seriously - I worked in a biorepository that used liquid nitrogen to preserve tissue samples, and solar (and to a lesser extent, earthly) radiation, was found to be an issue over the course of a thousand years in terms of DNA preservation. Compare 70 million to one thousand. Not to be a killjoy, but, just because it's wet doesn't mean that it's interesting to anybody but hard-core paleontologists, in a practical sense.

9. MacM Registered Senior Member

I don't know you, so this is not an attack on what you have said; however, I am confused about your absoluteness regarding no useable DNA. They have already replicated some prehistoric insects that were traped in pertified tree sap.

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I can confirm what Zyncoid said. I heard it from an expert on the topic once during a lecture.

11. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I don't doubt it. I'm not excited over the possibility of cloning T-rex or anything. Just excited over soft tissue being found. It likely won't give us much information, it won't radically alter what we know about T-Rex, but it is amazing. And it gives hope that more may be found in the future.

Think about it. We could find out if the dinosaurs had feathers or not.
    Or how about to solve the cold-blooded or warm-blooded issue? Could there be a way to use these cells to determine that?

It's just so freaking amazing. Jurassic Park can go to hell.

Mac,

Never heard of that. Sure you're not victim to an urban legend?

12. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

With enough genetic modification, I can make you something indistinguishable from a T-rex using a monitor lizard and a chicken. It would just take one hell of a lot of work and many failures before you get something worthwhile.

13. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

No, you cannot.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(Not unless you're talking about the plot line for a sci-fi movie script you're writing.)<P>

14. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

I dont mean -I- can. I mean it is theoretically possible given a couple decades more tech and a buttload of scientist man hours. There is no reason you could not.

15. dinokg Registered Senior Member

Someone could make a T-rex like creature if you geneticlly enginered some animal, but it wouldn't really be a T-rex.

Now this new finding of actual T-rex parts that are not just rock is something much better.

16. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Make something close enough and nobody will ever know the difference. As there are no living T-rex around and mostly bones as evidence that they ever existed, the details are foggy. Get it close enough and for all intents and purposes it will be a T-rex.

17. MacM Registered Senior Member

NO. Its been a few years so I am not sure but it would have been Discovery or Scientific American or something like that.

18. MacM Registered Senior Member

I haven't found the actual article but I did run across this.

********************** Extract *************************
    http://www.sciamdigital.com/browse....LEID_CHAR=75C1E9BD-1139-4F37-8249-3D99F97A22F
    Ancient DNA; November 1993; by Pääbo; 7 page(s)

Most of our knowledge of the molecular processes that underlie evolutionary change is based on the comparison of the genes of living species. From such differences, molecular evolutionists infer the historical changes that gave rise to presentday DNA sequences. Yet these studies are tentative in nature. Unlike the remains of animals and plants, DNA molecules do not leave impressions in rock. Biologists therefore despaired of ever being able to check their conclusions against the historical record, as paleontologists do.
    But in the past decade scientists have learned that ancient DNA, though degraded, sometimes survives the ravages of time, and molecular biologists have perfected methods of amplifying these trace amounts of ancient DNA. Workers have so far used DNA from bone and soft tissues to establish reliable sequences for seven extinct mammals. The oldest was the woolly mammoth--a frozen carcass that was found in the permafrost of Siberia. More such studies are under way, including efforts to decode DNA extracted from insects entombed in amber millions of years ago. We can thus look forward to learning much more about the genetic relations among extinct species.

************* Link **********************
    http://www.mhrc.net/ancientDNA.htm

A mixture of claims

****************** Extract ******************************
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1466744.stm
    The Wits/Queensland researchers say they have taken rigorous precautions to minimise contamination. Ken Dusza, a graduate student in Professor Loy's laboratory, says methods have advanced so much in recent years that it is quite feasible that hominid DNA could survive for more than a million years.

Most information (over 98%, seems to agree that the DNA degrades) but there are some claims being made for having resurected 500 million year old bacterium, etc.

19. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

If you can look at the remnants of many strands of what was originally identical DNA (like in multiple cells), you should be able to figure out what the complete original looked like. Its like taking many photographs and burning them in random patches. You can lay whats left over each other so that the intact parts complete the picture.

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Mammoths were frozen. That is different then being fossilized.

21. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Some interesting links MacM.

I'm not sure how the science works. But if soft tissue can stick around for 70 million years we should change our precepts about whats possible..

22. alteredperception I know not what I do Registered Senior Member

In principle we will will be able to create every species that ever existed and even species that never existed using every possible combination of DNA.

23. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

In principle, maybe. In reality, uhm not.